Monday's football gossip

Scottish Mag

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Wycombe striker Jermaine Easter is at the centre of a transfer battle between Manchester City and Blackburn. (Various)

Watford winger Ashley Young will complete a deal to join Aston Villa - in a move worth up to £9.65m. (Various)

Blackburn are targeting Hertha Berlin centre-half Chris Samba to replace Andre Ooijer, who broke a leg against Manchester City on Saturday. (Various)

Blackburn are set to clinch a £1.2m move for Liverpool defender Stephen Warnock within 48 hours. (Various)

Middlesbrough striker Massimo Maccarone is wanted by Torino, Empoli and Siena. (Daily Mail)

Wigan hope to agree a loan move for Ulsan Hyundai's South Korean winger Lee Chun-Soo. (Daily Mail)

Newcastle may offer £9m, plus Titus Bramble, for West Brom defender Curtis Davies. (Daily Mail) :rolleyes:

Southampton boss George Burley is resigned to losing teenager Gareth Bale, despite rejected an £8m bid for him last week. (Daily Star)

Fulham boss Chris Coleman will decide within the next 24 hours whether to accept Wigan's £5m offer for midfielder Papa Bouba Diop. (Daily Mirror)

Hull City boss Phil Brown is keen to snap up Derby midfielder Seth Johnson. (Daily Mirror)

OTHER GOSSIP

George Gillett, the owner of the Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team, is set to reopen talks with Liverpool and top the bid from Dubai International Capital to take over the club. (Various)

Celtic legend Murdo MacLeod has revealed he was offered the chance to play for Rangers 25 years ago. (Daily Record)

Ex-Newcastle boss Graeme Souness is refusing to accept defeat in his bid to buy Wolves. (Daily Mail)

Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock faces a 10-match touchline ban after being sent to the stands in Saturday's fiery match against Reading. (Daily Mirror)

Frank Lampard's agent Steve Kutner has denied that the midfielder is close to signing a new contract at Chelsea. (The Guardian)

Referee Uriah Rennie faces being demoted from the Premiership list after allowing James Milner's goal for Newcastle to stand despite Scott Parker standing in a offside position. (The Guardian) :blink:

AND FINALLY...

Man Utd star Wayne Rooney has revealed he knows all the songs to the hit musical Oliver! by heart. He also loves hit TV shows The Sopranos and Coronation Street. (The Sun)

Hamilton Academical fan Andy Waring proudly led the Accies out as team mascot on Saturday - at the age of 60. (Daily Record)

If we've got £9m to spunk on Curtis Davies, then we've got the money to get someone better than Curtis Davies. So why buy Curtis Davies? :rolleyes:

Who do you suggest?

Just looking at things down here, you probably would be able to buy a whole solid back four for that amount of money...

If we've got £9m to spunk on Curtis Davies, then we've got the money to get someone better than Curtis Davies. So why buy Curtis Davies? :rolleyes:

Who do you suggest?

Just looking at things down here, you probably would be able to buy a whole solid back four for that amount of money...

Where's that mate?

Who do you suggest?

Where's that mate?

Jormany. I think there are loads of decent defenders who would cost not more than 4-5m Euro.

Who do you suggest?

Where's that mate?

Jormany. I think there are loads of decent defenders who would cost not more than 4-5m Euro.

Someone was waxing lyrical about Arsenal's legendary scouting network on FiveLive last night which just highlighted to me how bad our scouting abroad seems to be. We never sign good foreign players at reasonable prices. Apart from Nobby, but that was about 10 years ago.

Someone was waxing lyrical about Arsenal's legendary scouting network on FiveLive last night which just highlighted to me how bad our scouting abroad seems to be. We never sign good foreign players at reasonable prices. Apart from Nobby, but that was about 10 years ago.

I am not sure. SBR seemed to have some good candidates in his radar like Seitaridis at right back for example. But we only ended up with paying 8.5m on a defensive midfielder...

The only decent deal in recent years was N'Zogbia.

Who do you suggest?

Where's that mate?

The only player I can think of is Krul but I haven't got a clue how Souness stumbled upon him. :blink:

Both N'Zogbia and Bernard were brought to the club by their agents, we didn't scout either.

Glenn Roeder has confirmed his interest in bringing West Brom defender Curtis Davies to Newcastle.

The Magpies chief has seen a number of moves fail to bear fruit this month, as he attempts to beef up his options.

Roeder has made strengthening his defence one of his key priorities and Davies would appear to be high on his wish-list.

"Getting top-class young English defenders like Curtis Davies is proving a tough nut to crack," he told the Evening Chronicle.

"I have to say he's one of the players we have targeted in the January window, but if we don't get him he has to be a possibility for the summer."

Roeder also confirmed an approach for one of Arsenal's young guns had fallen on deaf ears.

"We have asked Arsenal if we could have one of their young players on loan, but Arsene Wenger said he wants to keep him at the moment because he is not ready to play Premiership football week-in, week-out," stated Roeder.

"We have accepted Arsene's decision and, as far as this player is concerned, that is the end of the matter."

Could have had Lauren £1.5m, Distin £2-3m, a good left-back £5m for that price, and still had Bramble as half-decent cover.

Guest Patrokles

I am not sure. SBR seemed to have some good candidates in his radar like Seitaridis at right back for example. But we only ended up with paying 8.5m on a defensive midfielder...

Not sure Viana is a defensive midfielder, to be fair.

:rolleyes:

Guest Patrokles

As for Davies, I'm not overly familiar with him, but he seems extremely highly rated by those actually within the game. Given that clubs seem reluctant to sell any of their players, it seems a choice between 9 million on Davies and a couple of loan signings, then further strengthening in the summer... or no one and a couple of loans. I know which I'd choose, regardless of Davies' price.

It's a joke from the old board, it started with this lad called Blaydon...

Guest Patrokles

It's a joke from the old board, it started with this lad called Blaydon...

OMFG CLIQUEY. :rolleyes:

As for Davies, I'm not overly familiar with him, but he seems extremely highly rated by those actually within the game. Given that clubs seem reluctant to sell any of their players, it seems a choice between 9 million on Davies and a couple of loan signings, then further strengthening in the summer... or no one and a couple of loans. I know which I'd choose, regardless of Davies' price.

Agreed, I think we're going to have to trust Pearson on this one.