Man survives shark attack to his head

Lazarus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6289489.stm

Diver escapes from shark's jaws

Eric Nerhus - archive picture

Mr Nerhus is an experienced diver

Attack aftermath

An Australian diver has escaped from the jaws of a Great White shark which had grabbed him by the head.

Eric Nerhus, 41, was diving off Cape Howe on Australia's south-east coast when he was attacked.

A fellow diver said the three-metre (10-foot) shark bit Mr Nerhus from the head down, crushing his face mask inwards and breaking his nose.

He managed to break free and was hauled aboard a waiting boat. His condition is described as serious but stable.

"Eric is a tough boy, he's super-fit," his friend and fellow diver Dennis Luobikis told reporters.

"But I would say that would test anyone's resolve, being a fish lunch."

Second bite

Mr Luobikis, Mr Nerhus and his son - as well as other friends - were fishing for abalone off the coast, some 400km (249 miles) south of Sydney, when the attack happened.

map

"He was actually bitten by the head down, the shark swallowed his head," Mr Luobikis said.

The shark then took a second bite, this time seizing Mr Nerhus by the body and biting into his torso.

Mr Luobikis said his friend "pushed his abalone chisel" into the shark's head, managing to wrestle himself free before the shark swam away.

"He came up to the surface and was going: "Help, help there's a shark," Mr Nerhus's 25-year-old son Mark said later.

"And I went over and there was a big pool of blood, and I pulled him out of the water he was just: "Get me to shore, get me to shore"."

Mr Nerhus was airlifted to hospital where doctors said he was suffering from blood loss and shock.

Shark attacks are not uncommon in Australian waters, the BBC's Nick Bryant in Sydney says.

There are around 15 a year - one of the highest rates in the world.

An average of one a year is fatal.

Well scary :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6289489.stm

"He was actually bitten by the head down, the shark swallowed his head," Mr Luobikis said.

The shark then took a second bite, this time seizing Mr Nerhus by the body and biting into his torso.

Mr Luobikis said his friend "pushed his abalone chisel" into the shark's head, managing to wrestle himself free before the shark swam away.

Well scary :razz:

Jaws-tastic :lol:

That must have been pretty horrific. Scary as fuck.

I love Aussies' patter though man. Read his mate's comments: "Eric is a tough boy, he's super-fit.......but I would say that would test anyone's resolve, being a fish lunch." :lol:

He must be a pussy... Rob W's been bitten in half by a shark and still lived to tell the tale! :lol:

(footnote to J69. Notice I'm having a bit of banter with someone else - it does happen :razz:)

not true

have been close to a few barracuda in my time but no sharks

also have worked in crocodile areas in Indonesia - I HATE those things..............

on a Great Barrier Reef trip last year one bit the marine biologist who was leading our tour.......................

that'll larn him to pick it up for the cameras

we couldn't stop laughing

Aussies are more scared of estuarine crocs than sharks tbh. With good reason.

Aye, there's been a fair few fatalities with people going for a dip in the rivers from what I've heard.

Aussies are more scared of estuarine crocs than sharks tbh. With good reason.

too bloody true - imagine this bastard comign after you

http://www.abc.net.au/backyard/stories/s1020946.htm

WTF is Scary Spice off Bo Selecta doing stood in front of it?

I think she's about to say "Fook, ya bastard" :lol:

:razz:

"Go ahht and buy me new bewwwk. Go on, tek a lewwwwwk"

Turtles are the coolest. Proper dopey looking things who just couldn't give a shite for the fact that there are people in the water with them. They can be huge as well!

snapping_turtle.jpg

Snapping turtles are cool, could easily take off a limb.

Why the fuck, if you were getting in the water with one of those things, indoors, would you think to yourself "Best make sure I've got my sunglasses on." :lol:

Turtles are the coolest. Proper dopey looking things who just couldn't give a shite for the fact that there are people in the water with them. They can be huge as well!

snapping_turtle.jpg

Snapping turtles are cool, could easily take off a limb.

Why the fuck, if you were getting in the water with one of those things, indoors, would you think to yourself "Best make sure I've got my sunglasses on." :lol:

He's holding it like a chainsaw :razz:

not true

have been close to a few barracuda in my time but no sharks

also have worked in crocodile areas in Indonesia - I HATE those things..............

Rob - i think its time you trained up another croc handler like you did with steve irwin.....

was swimming with bottom feeders in Disney World Florida (Think it was called Typhoon Lagoon...but not sure)when I was a bairn. I knew they wouldn't attack, I knew that they weren't even that big, but they still look like their big brothers and the only thing going round my head when one big fella swam between me and my dad was the Jaws theme...