Man survives shark attack to his head

Lazarus

was swimming with bottom feeders in Disney World Florida (Think it was called Typhoon Lagoon...but not sure)when I was a bairn. I knew they wouldn't attack, I knew that they weren't even that big, but they still look like their big brothers and the only thing going round my head when one big fella swam between me and my dad was the Jaws theme...

Took one look at you and feared for it's cholesterol levels tbh :lol:

was swimming with bottom feeders in Disney World Florida (Think it was called Typhoon Lagoon...but not sure)when I was a bairn. I knew they wouldn't attack, I knew that they weren't even that big, but they still look like their big brothers and the only thing going round my head when one big fella swam between me and my dad was the Jaws theme...

I've been in the snorkelling pool there too. Chilly like. Disney probably remove their teeth though. Anti-lawsuit-tastic.

I've been in the snorkelling pool there too. Chilly like. Disney probably remove their teeth though. Anti-lawsuit-tastic.

the worst thing for me was the first time we went through, my sister was behind me, she freaked out, clawed the back of my leg on her way to the otherside of the pool.

My dad then went into great detail how a shark can "smell" a drop of blood from a mile away and it brings out the worst in them, then he cajoled me back into the pool.. :lol:

p.s. alex, do you remember a tunnel thing on your right as you get into the pool? I've this vague memory of people waving at me from underwater...

Edited by The Fish

The scariest TRUE Shark story I've read about is how one Abalone Diver when gathering Abalone on the sea floor encountered a big 18ft GW, it just swam by him and didn't take any notice, anyway he soon left the water and got back on his boat, a while later thinking the coast is clear he sat on the edge of his boat back to the water ready to jump in, he fell into the oncoming Shark's open jaw and was savagely mauled to death. The Shark had stalked him and was waiting for him. A very rare true predation event. They say if you can see the Shark you're OK, most who get attacked never see anything before the strike and often don't even get to see what is attacking them full stop, they just feel it (all that blood).

Anyway that particular story was scary because the Shark had targeted the bloke to feed on and he unwittingly caught it stalking him on the sea floor, and there have been a few cases where the diver has "dropped" into the jaws of a Shark as soon as he/she entered the water or pushed off from the boat.

Can you imagine the horror? You don't stand a chance.

Anyway, doesn't seem like this was a predation act, more of an investagative bite, there is no way a 10ft GW would try and take out a prey item that size, despite being more than capable of eating him. They usually hunt smaller prey. He's very lucky, had that been a larger one he'd have died regardless as it would have taken his head off.

These attacks are increasing like, first of the new year I think for this species.

These?

m793752.jpg

Direct cousin of the White Shark and known to attack humans, if provoked but harmless enough. They were almost wiped out to extinction after Jaws as many mistook them for the White Shark. I'm not a big fan of captivity but they saved that particular species.

dunno what breed they were mate, we were told that we were in absolutely no danger. I think the Sharks were plankton-eaters... like Basking sharks but a lot smaller. (do Basking sharks eat plankton? someone told me that and I just took it at face value as it would seem an odd thing to lie about.)

dunno what breed they were mate, we were told that we were in absolutely no danger. I think the Sharks were plankton-eaters... like Basking sharks but a lot smaller. (do Basking sharks eat plankton? someone told me that and I just took it at face value as it would seem an odd thing to lie about.)

Aye they are Plankton eaters, as are Whale Sharks but they are huge, and I mean huge and have no teeth. They are held in captivity like so it might have been baby ones of those.

The scariest TRUE Shark story I've read about is how one Abalone Diver when gathering Abalone on the sea floor encountered a big 18ft GW, it just swam by him and didn't take any notice, anyway he soon left the water and got back on his boat, a while later thinking the coast is clear he sat on the edge of his boat back to the water ready to jump in, he fell into the oncoming Shark's open jaw and was savagely mauled to death. The Shark had stalked him and was waiting for him. A very rare true predation event. They say if you can see the Shark you're OK, most who get attacked never see anything before the strike and often don't even get to see what is attacking them full stop, they just feel it (all that blood).

Anyway that particular story was scary because the Shark had targeted the bloke to feed on and he unwittingly caught it stalking him on the sea floor, and there have been a few cases where the diver has "dropped" into the jaws of a Shark as soon as he/she entered the water or pushed off from the boat.

Anyway, doesn't seem like this was a predation act, more of an investagative bite, there is no way a 10ft GW would try and take out a prey item that size, despite being more than capable of eating him. They usually hunt smaller prey. He's very lucky, had that been a larger one he'd have died regardless as it would have taken his head off.

These attacks are increasing like, first of the new year I think for this species.

How do we know that like? And isn't it common sense anyway?

"hey, there's a shark with it's mouth open below me, think I'll stay on the boat today".

They say if you can see a car coming, you usually don't get run over :lol:

How do we know that like? And isn't it common sense anyway?

"hey, there's a shark with it's mouth open below me, think I'll stay on the boat today".

They say if you can see a car coming, you usually don't get run over :razz:

:lol:

What I mean is if you are a diver and you come across a Shark patrolling the area or can see it in your vision field, that's a good sign, when you can't, that's the time to panic. They are unlikely to come up to you and attack you or eat you if you can see it, as they hunt via stealth and prefer to stalk their prey. Basically if you're in the water and see a Shark, don't be too alarmed (easy said than done I bet) and that if it disappears, don't think the coast is clear, like that poor Abalone diver.

BTW I don't think there has been any attacks (from Great White's anyway) on divers from patrolling Sharks, i.e. the Shark noticing the diver and going over for a bite so you can understand why the experts say what they do about being able to see one. Believe it or not they are very cautious and very conscious of their own safety first and foremost, I've seen endless footage where the freediver has sent a large GW swimming away in a panic just by moving their hands or going towards it, like a timid puppy. Much maligned and misunderstood. Because of it's size, teeth and the Jaws films many people think they just eat whatever is in sight, whether it be a human or otherwise when really, if that were the case, thousands would be taken every month as they patrol near all the popular surf areas of the world and there are countless reports from surfers and bathers of seeing one not too far out. They just aren't interested in the main, why eat us when they can eat the rich blubber of a seal - there are plenty of those and they aren't as alien to them as we are.

That said, I wouldn't like to take me chances.

I heard that sharks will have a "test" nibble on something before going in for the attack. Like a granny groping the grapefruit to see if it's ripe

I heard that sharks will have a "test" nibble on something before going in for the attack. Like a granny groping the grapefruit to see if it's ripe

Some might, if you've ever seen that footage where they were towing a seal-shaped dummy off the back of a boat in South African waters you would know Great Whites don't use that approach.

Some might, if you've ever seen that footage where they were towing a seal-shaped dummy off the back of a boat in South African waters you would know Great Whites don't use that approach.

That footage is terrifying. Bubbles and blue for ages then all of a sudden this monster appears. :lol:

Saw the interview on telly with this attack bloke's mate. Doesn't look the brightest spark. :razz:

They do investigate (mouth objects) actually, and most attacks are a result of that, they are just having a grope really but because their hands have big fuck off teeth attached to them, they cut Human skin to ribbons and many who do get investigated think the Shark tried to eat them which couldn't be further from the truth. Tow anything in that stretch of SA water you mention though and you'll most likely get a Shark following it, they've even been known to go for boats in that stretch of water (Shark alley, Dyer island). Those waters are thought to be feeding and breeding waters so the Shark's senses are overloaded and it's a case of anything goes. They soon learn that the decoys are nothing however.

There are three theories why they attack:

Investigation (most common and mostly non fatal) - this is most likely what the Abalone diver in this thread encountered.

Mistaken identity

True predation

Many are ruling out mistaken identity now though because this Shark just doesn't make mistakes, but no-one quite knows why they breach with a Human in their mouth, decapitating the person, without finishing it off for example, which happens a lot in fatal previously put down to mistaken identity attacks.

True predation events go without saying and only a handful ever survive to tell the tale, usually they are saved by helpers, although one Shark after eating one bloke, turned on the rescuer and had a go at him, this was in 10ft of water.

Has anyone seen the Chille video? A marine biologist expeditions anchors off the coast of Chille in open waters and some of the crew jump in for a swim in the warm blue seas, one women got isolated from the pack and next thing she knows a 15ft Shark is chomping on her leg at a relaxed pace, trying to drown her to finish her off without wasting too much energy, all caught on camera, although very bouncy you can clearly see the Shark's head wrapped around the women's leg, anyway after a tug of war between Shark and rescuers the women was saved minus one leg and deep lacerations. It was thought the Shark was so hungry (hadn't fed for months) that this was a pure opportunity attack and the woemn was lucky the Shark didn't seem to have the energy or fight to eat her, otherwise she would have been killed pretty quickly despite rescue attempts.

Anyway, nice to the Sun making out as if the Shark was huge:

0,,2007031438,00.jpg

I'll stop boring you all now :lol:

PS I feel truly at home on here now, having had a Shark thread :razz:

Sold the rights to his story to channel 9 and New Idea or something of a similar magazine.

Also in news i saw today was that a young 16 year old aussie surfer has set about surfing again. She was pretty good apparently until she lost her arm. Today they showed pictures of her surfing again with one arm. Quite the looker aswell :D

This is exactly why I wont be getting in any water while in Oz....apart from the swimming pool. Then, no doubt, something in there could kill you aswell....

I've been in open water on pretty much every coastline on this continent and I've never had a shark encounter.

I'd be more worried about big fat bogan women. Or spiders. But mainly big fat bogan women.

This is exactly why I wont be getting in any water while in Oz....apart from the swimming pool. Then, no doubt, something in there could kill you aswell....

I'd be more scared of crocs, snakes, scorpions and the criminals tbh out in Oz.

Aye, you can't swim though :lol: