A real manager gets the best out of his team

TheMoog

From Fans FC

Sir Bobby Robson has challenged his old mate Jose Mourinho to get the best out of Andriy Shevchenko .

Taking to the Mail, Robson says Mourinho now has the chance to prove how "special" the Special One really is.

Robson: "There seems to be a change at Stamford Bridge. Jose no longer has an unlimited budget and, like other managers, he has to work with the players he’s already got or shop for bargains. Welcome to the real world!

"It could make or break him and the first place to start is by working on the training field to make Andriy Shevchenko world-class again.

"Shevchenko was bought to the Bridge for £30million in the summer to help Chelsea win their third Premiership title and the Champions League. Right now, after his poor form, I don’t think anyone would pay £15m for him. In an open market, Chelsea might get £10m from a desperate Italian club but no more.

"Alan Shearer was 29 when I arrived at Newcastle and considered on the wane. We identified the problem, in Alan’s case it was a lack of movement, and fixed it on the training ground. Alan responded brilliantly on the pitch and played another five years at the highest level. Until now, if a player at Chelsea has lost form, Jose has been able to buy a multi-million pound replacement. That situation has clearly changed.

"What Jose needs to do is improve his movement and team play. That’s what coaching and management is about. He should remember the time when we worked together on the training pitch to make Ronaldo the force he was at Barcelona. That’s the way to do it.

"In some ways, however, the mysterious goings-on behind the scenes at Chelsea baffles me. I think Jose has made too much of not being able to sign players — no other managers will have sympathy with him for that."

When you think back Sir Bobby's achievements for our club are impressive when you compare the money he had to spend and bring in compared to Jose, at least that's how I see it - I'm sure someone will put a different spin on it with some hard figures. I'd still have him as manager.

When you think back Sir Bobby's achievements for our club are impressive when you compare the money he had to spend and bring in compared to Jose, at least that's how I see it - I'm sure someone will put a different spin on it with some hard figures. I'd still have him as manager.

Bobby >>>>>> Jose IMO.

If he'd had the money Chelsea had had when he came here we'd have probably won the Champions League twice by now (or frankly if Robson had come in 1997 instead of Daglish we might have been sitting on a trophy or two).

Although it's hard to compare directly as Robson had VAST experience where as Mourinho is still fairly new to the job.

Admittedly Robson's powers were on the wane by the time he came here, but still he was treated in a shocking manner (classic example of "don't realise how good you've got it/grass is always greener" IMO) at the end. :blink:

Of course, how else would he win the Champions League? Everyone is saying how "Ooooooh, he must now learn to cope without money!OMG"

Honestly, memory of a fucking goldfish some people have.

Mourinho spent nearly £70m at Porto, and only made £14m back.

even so, If Roeder had spent £56m and won the league, UEFA Cup, and Champions Leauge, he'd have been given an knighthood, an Oscar and a statue at Trafalgar square.

even so, If Roeder had spent £56m and won the league, UEFA Cup, and Champions Leauge, he'd have been given an knighthood, an Oscar and a statue at Trafalgar square.

I think Porto were in a better position to begin with.

Guest Patrokles

Unfortunately the days when that was possible seem well and truly behind us now. :blink:

Did he really? Where did you get these figures from because they look a bit dodgy to me tbh.

Not sure tbh, seen it a few times in a few different sources. If you look at the squad he inherited and the squad he left, most of the players changed, with a few big names coming in. I'll try and find the figures sometime.

Did he really? Where did you get these figures from because they look a bit dodgy to me tbh.

Not sure tbh, seen it a few times in a few different sources. If you look at the squad he inherited and the squad he left, most of the players changed, with a few big names coming in. I'll try and find the figures sometime.

According to this German site, which is normally sort of reliable, he spend something like 20m Euro and made 23m Euro,though a couple of transfers have no value listed. Still, 70m GBP seems a bit too much for me. :blink:

http://transfermarkt.de/de/verein/720/fcpo...uebersicht.html

Edited by Isegrim

The only info i've ever heard was that Mourinho didn't spend that much at Porto. But even if he had spent alot, he delivers trophies, including league titles and euro trophies, and as we know plenty of money can be spent without winning fuck all!

Of course the money at Chelsea has helped him massively but he's up their with the very bets managers around and come the end of his career his record will be the match of anyones.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

According to this German site, which is normally sort of reliable, he spend something like 20m Euro and made 23m Euro,though a couple of transfers have no value listed. Still, 70m GBP seems a bit too much for me. :blink:

http://transfermarkt.de/de/verein/720/fcpo...uebersicht.html

:) I love it when Isegrim sorts people out like this!

Didn't realise he'd spent that much at Porto. I'd of course have to see a list of his ins and outs before I started to believe it for more than a second.

EDIT - Been proven he didn't.

Telling lies to try to prove someone wrong :blink::)

Edited by Sima

Mourinho at Porto:

He was then hand-picked in January 2002 by FCP to replace Octávio Machado as the manager of the badly-motivated and unhappy team, which was already out of contention for the league title and was on the verge of not qualifying for any European competition. Mourinho arrived with the promise of "making FCP champions next year" and guided the team to third place after a decent 15 game run (WDL 11-2-2).

He quickly identified several key players whom he saw as the backbone of what he believed would be a perfect FCP team: Baía, Ricardo Carvalho, Costinha, Deco, Dmitri Alenichev and Postiga. He recalled captain Jorge Costa after a six-month loan to Charlton Athletic (after a dispute with Machado). The signings from other clubs included Nuno Valente and Derlei from Leiria, Paulo Ferreira from Vitória Setúbal, Pedro Emanuel from Boavista FC, and Edgaras Jankauskas and Maniche who had been out of contract at Benfica, the latter after a season in the reserve.

During the pre-season, Mourinho put on the club website detailed reports on the team training. The reports were filled with formal vocabulary, as, for instance, he referred to a 20km jog as an extended aerobic exercise. While they attracted scorn for the pretentiousness, others praised the innovation and the scientific approach to the old-fashioned training methods practiced in Portugal. One of the key aspects in Mourinho-era FCP was the pressurising play, which started at the offensive line, dubbed "high pressure" (pt: pressão alta). The physical and combative abilities of defenders and midfielders such as Derlei, Maniche and Deco allowed FCP to apply pressure from the offensive lines and forced the opponents either to concede the ball or try longer passes.

In 2003, Mourinho won his first Super Liga with a 27-5-2 WDL record, 11 points clear of Benfica, the team which he had quit two years earlier. The total of 86 points out of the possible maximum of 102 was a Portuguese record since the rule of three points per win was introduced. The previous record was 85 points that was also held by FCP for their 1996/97 season. Mourinho also won the Portuguese Cup (against former club Leiria) and the UEFA Cup final against Celtic in Seville, both in May 2003.

The following season witnessed further successes, as while perhaps not playing as impressively, FCP scooped their 20th Super Liga title. The club pulled off a perfect home record, an eight-points advantage, and an unbeaten run that only ended against Gil Vicente FC. They secured the title five weeks before the end of the season, while heavily involved in the Champions League at the same time. FCP lost the Portuguese Cup final to Benfica in May 2004, but two weeks later Mourinho won the ultimate prize: the Champions League, with an emphatic 3-0 win over Monaco in the Arena AufSchalke in Gelsenkirchen, Germany. The club had eliminated Manchester United, Olympique Lyonnais and Deportivo de La Coruña and saw only one defeat against Real Madrid in the group round.

Checked the players he signed and they didnt cost much at all collectively. From what I can see he spent less than €20m

Didn't he inherit the likes of Deco, Carvalho and Ferreira anyways?

Didn't Souness inerit the likes of Shearer, Bellamy, Given, Dyer, Robert.........

Didn't Souness inerit the likes of Shearer, Bellamy, Given, Dyer, Robert.........

Yes but what I actually was implying Jimbo was with regards to the 70 million spent.

He signed Ferreira, Maniche and Valente and McCarthy for buttons. Less than we spent on Laurent Robert.

Yes but what I actually was implying Jimbo was with regards to the 70 million spent.

I think that £70m is in serious question tbh.