A real manager gets the best out of his team

TheMoog

Didn't he inherit the likes of Deco, Carvalho and Ferreira anyways?

Didn't Souness inerit the likes of Shearer, Bellamy, Given, Dyer, Robert.........

Yes but what I actually was implying Jimbo was with regards to the 70 million spent.

That 70 million figure is absolute nonsense. Maniche for instance was a (virtual) free. He spent barely 20 million euros.

Urban myth I am afraid. Some fucker on N-O probably made it up.

Mourinho spent nearly £70m at Porto, and only made £14m back.

Did he really? Where did you get these figures from because they look a bit dodgy to me tbh.

Not sure tbh, seen it a few times in a few different sources. If you look at the squad he inherited and the squad he left, most of the players changed, with a few big names coming in. I'll try and find the figures sometime.

According to this German site, which is normally sort of reliable, he spend something like 20m Euro and made 23m Euro,though a couple of transfers have no value listed. Still, 70m GBP seems a bit too much for me. :blink:

http://transfermarkt.de/de/verein/720/fcpo...uebersicht.html

:up: I love it when Isegrim sorts people out like this!

Vorsprung durch Technik. :)

Didn't Souness inerit the likes of Shearer, Bellamy, Given, Dyer, Robert.........

Didn't Souness release Deco and replaced him with Michael Thomas?

Didn't Souness release Deco and replaced him with Michael Thomas?

Proper player tbh.

Did he really? Where did you get these figures from because they look a bit dodgy to me tbh.

Not sure tbh, seen it a few times in a few different sources. If you look at the squad he inherited and the squad he left, most of the players changed, with a few big names coming in. I'll try and find the figures sometime.

According to this German site, which is normally sort of reliable, he spend something like 20m Euro and made 23m Euro,though a couple of transfers have no value listed. Still, 70m GBP seems a bit too much for me. :)

:P I love it when Isegrim sorts people out like this!

Vorsprung durch Technik. :up:

I read an interview with the Sir Ranulph Fiennes in some motoring mag. He says he hates foriegn cars and whenever he sees a broken down Audi he pulls up, winds down his window and shouts 'Vorsprung durch technik' at them.

Mad as a box of frogs. :blink:

According to this German site, which is normally sort of reliable, he spend something like 20m Euro and made 23m Euro,though a couple of transfers have no value listed. Still, 70m GBP seems a bit too much for me. :)

:P I love it when Isegrim sorts people out like this!

Vorsprung durch Technik. :up:

I read an interview with the Sir Ranulph Fiennes in some motoring mag. He says he hates foriegn cars and whenever he sees a broken down Audi he pulls up, winds down his window and shouts 'Vorsprung durch technik' at them.

Mad as a box of frogs. :blink:

Nah he just remembers when Britain build good stuff (or anything these days).

The only doubt about Mourinho is whether after creating success, can he build on it consistently or not. Is he an impact manager like KK, or is he like Wenger and Fergie, able to build and build and achieve success consistently with the same club. I think he could do that but I think he gets bored easily and I couldn't see him staying at any club for long, so I guess we'll never really find out.

The only doubt about Mourinho is whether after creating success, can he build on it consistently or not. Is he an impact manager like KK, or is he like Wenger and Fergie, able to build and build and achieve success consistently with the same club. I think he could do that but I think he gets bored easily and I couldn't see him staying at any club for long, so I guess we'll never really find out.

you answered your own question

According to this German site, which is normally sort of reliable, he spend something like 20m Euro and made 23m Euro,though a couple of transfers have no value listed. Still, 70m GBP seems a bit too much for me. ;)

:D I love it when Isegrim sorts people out like this!

Vorsprung durch Technik. :D

:unsure: Btw, didn't Robson have shitloads to spend here?

According to this German site, which is normally sort of reliable, he spend something like 20m Euro and made 23m Euro,though a couple of transfers have no value listed. Still, 70m GBP seems a bit too much for me. ;)

:D I love it when Isegrim sorts people out like this!

Vorsprung durch Technik. :D

:unsure: Btw, didn't Robson have shitloads to spend here?

Robson spent quite a lot over his time here, but I wouldn't have said we were as strong at the time as Chelsea were when "the special one" came, nor was it in the same league as Chelski spending (but who is?).

As to Porto they were in an interesting position (potential-wise), and tbh I couldn't see them wining the Champions League again for a long time if ever if he'd stayed (he came did a good job got very luck and got out while the going was good - bit like Woodward and the England Rugby team - he knew what was coming and got out instead).

Aye but teams from the 'lesser leagues' (i.e. the ones with less money) often get split up when they achieve greatness, e.g. Ajax in 1995-ish winning the Champions League with loads of home-grown talent. It doesn't make it any less of an achievement in that case (or in Mourinho's / Porto's). I take your point though.