New job- tough choice.

Pegasus Bridge

hate to sound negative, and i know pretty much all postie's do a good job, but, surely there are better jobs?

also most posties i know finish at 1.30 pm and are pissed by 4pm...

up to you of course.

Well I don't drink. And I don't think any jobs better than another job really. It's whats going to make you happy at the end of the day. As long as I've got a steady income coming in to support me and my lass who is in her third year of uni, than thats fine. I'm currently unhappy in the line of work I'm in, and I've always wanted to be a postie. Like a grown up version of a paperboy I guess. I like working outdoors, It will be good exercise, and the moneys not bad at all.

You should be considering long term prospects though, mate. The money mightn't look so good 10 years from now if all you've had is inflationary payrises in the meantime. I'm not having a go btw, and I have no idea of the structure or scope for advancement, but I can't really see how there would be any as a postie?

hate to sound negative, and i know pretty much all postie's do a good job, but, surely there are better jobs?

up to you of course.

Well I don't drink. And I don't think any jobs better than another job really. It's whats going to make you happy at the end of the day. As long as I've got a steady income coming in to support me and my lass who is in her third year of uni, than thats fine. I'm currently unhappy in the line of work I'm in, and I've always wanted to be a postie. Like a grown up version of a paperboy I guess. I like working outdoors, It will be good exercise, and the moneys not bad at all.

You should be considering long term prospects though, mate. The money mightn't look so good 10 years from now if all you've had is inflationary payrises in the meantime. I'm not having a go btw, and I have no idea of the structure or scope for advancement, but I can't really see how there would be any as a postie?

I'm not arsed Gemmil. My lass is 90% on her way to being a solicitor, and shes already got a job sorted out at her mothers firm. My only trouble was supporting the both of us, whilst she was studying, once she finishes, it'll be a joy having two incomes (and i can imagine wor lass will be a cracking wage). I just want a job where I don't have to feel bad whilst I'm doing it. My job now has all the doors open for management etc, but I just don't know if i can do it. So boring, so heartless.

As long as I've got enough money for a mortgage, enough money for a season ticket, and enough money to go on a few holidays, I'll be a happy man. :mellow:

up to you of course.

I'm not arsed Gemmil. My lass is 90% on her way to being a solicitor, and shes already got a job sorted out at her mothers firm. My only trouble was supporting the both of us, whilst she was studying, once she finishes, it'll be a joy having two incomes (and i can imagine wor lass will be a cracking wage). I just want a job where I don't have to feel bad whilst I'm doing it. My job now has all the doors open for management etc, but I just don't know if i can do it. So boring, so heartless.

As long as I've got enough money for a mortgage, enough money for a season ticket, and enough money to go on a few holidays, I'll be a happy man. :mellow:

I think the decision is entirely upto you and I stated both good and bad points in my previous post regarding the job however one thing that I always asked myself was "Do I want to be carrying about heavy bags in the pissing rain for the next 40 years?". The thought of being in my 50s with a fucked back trying to still fo the job didn't appeal to me at all...

up to you of course.

I think the decision is entirely upto you and I stated both good and bad points in my previous post regarding the job however one thing that I always asked myself was "Do I want to be carrying about heavy bags in the pissing rain for the next 40 years?". The thought of being in my 50s with a fucked back trying to still fo the job didn't appeal to me at all...

Aye. Not trying to be nasty or funny but you can't guarantee you will still be in a relationship with your lass in 10 years either. Give the job a go by all means, but keep yourself open to new opportunities.

Being a postie would be alright in the summer but not winter I expect.

The only time the winter bothered me was if it was wet. What with the weight of the bags and you being on the go you do not really feel the cold. Some days I would still go out with just a short sleeved shirt on as the jackets you are issued with make you feel like you are in a sauna.