Racial slur on sofa label stuns family

Lazarus

Well it did used to be a recognised colur, I've seen 50s school rules saying that girls must wear nigger brown hats, nigger brown macs and/or petticoats etc. Probably the Chinese supplier hadn't been told to change it to African American brown.

So what? It was racist then and it's racist now. That's like keeping a black man chained up in your cellar then defending it on the grounds that slavery used to be legal.

Are you saying I should let him go?

Well it did used to be a recognised colur, I've seen 50s school rules saying that girls must wear nigger brown hats, nigger brown macs and/or petticoats etc. Probably the Chinese supplier hadn't been told to change it to African American brown.

So what? It was racist then and it's racist now. That's like keeping a black man chained up in your cellar then defending it on the grounds that slavery used to be legal.

It's not really like that at all, and unless I'm mistaken, Bluestar isn't defending the continued use of the phrase.

I don't think he was either, it's just that I've heard the 'well it used to be a recognised colour' as justification for calling something nigger brown before and I think it's complete bollocks. As I say, it was racist then and it's racist now, the fact it was the done thing 20 years ago makes no difference whatsoever.

10/10 on the PC front but your maths is shit :lol:

It's not really like that at all, and unless I'm mistaken, Bluestar isn't defending the continued use of the phrase.

I don't think he was either, it's just that I've heard the 'well it used to be a recognised colour' as justification for calling something nigger brown before and I think it's complete bollocks. As I say, it was racist then and it's racist now, the fact it was the done thing 20 years ago makes no difference whatsoever.

10/10 on the PC front but your maths is shit :D

:lol: I didn't notice the 50s bit, '20 years ago' was a figure of speech more than anything else.

Absolutely, but I'm saying I don't think it's like they guy at the sofa shop saw the sofa and said "What's a good name for this kind of brown - I know, nigger brown, niggers are this kind of brown", more like a the chinese supplier had an horrifically outdated english language colour chart and labled the colour from that without knowing enough (or any) of the language in order to know it was offensive.

Edited by BlueStar

Absolutely, but I'm saying I don't think it's like they guy at the sofa shop saw the sofa and said "What's a good name for this kind of brown - I know, nigger brown, niggers are this kind of brown", more like a the chinese supplier had an horrifically outdated english language colour chart and labled the colour from that without knowing enough (or any) of the language in order to know it was offensive.

[1950's post]Stupid name for a colour anyway, everyone know's niggers are black it's the wogs that are brown :lol: [/1950's post]

tbh in large parts of the world it probably wouldn't even be recognized as offensive even if they understood it, it's bizarre how we assume the rest of the world is as PC as the West, it ain't.

They thing that amazes me most in all this is the seeming resurgence of "Poo Brown" furniture and paints as "trendy" colours in the last few year, it was vile in the 70's and it still is. :lol:

tbh in large parts of the world it probably wouldn't even be recognized as offensive even if they understood it, it's bizarre how we assume the rest of the world is as PC as the West, it ain't.

They thing that amazes me most in all this is the seeming resurgence of "Poo Brown" furniture and paints as "trendy" colours in the last few year, it was vile in the 70's and it still is. :lol:

Poo Brown will always be a shit colour