Owen return shear bliss

Scottish Mag

Alan Shearer has welcomed the impending return of Michael Owen - and is hoping his big pal can help Newcastle United claw their way a little higher up the Premiership table.

United's £17m man is slowly edging back to full fitness, and while Saturday's game at Portsmouth will come to early for him, Owen could still play some part in the last four matches of the season.

And no-one will be happier at this prospect than Shearer who, of course, played a big part in luring Owen to Tyneside from Real Madrid.

Shearer was actually in Spain today, working in Barcelona in his role as an ambassador for Umbro, when I tracked him down.

And in an exclusive interview with the Chronicle he told me: "United have had a very good Easter with four points out of six in the Premiership, and hopefully they can finish the season on a high.

"It has been so frustrating for Glenn Roeder this season because of all the injuries United have had.

"And it is more frustrating for him that just when the season is about to come to an end, it looks like they are going to get Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi back from their injuries.

"And if they do come back it will help Newcastle pick up a few more points between now and the end of the season."

It is of regret to both of them that Shearer and Owen only lined up together on 10 occasions for United, including that game at Upton Park when Owen bagged a hat-trick and Shearer the other goal in a 4-2 victory over West Ham.

This led Shearer to add: "Obviously Newcastle have missed Michael while he has been injured, but then every team in the world would have missed him.

"Newcastle have missed his quality as a goalscorer and also his ability as a goal poacher.

"He is the type of striker who turns draws into three points and who can help you nick a draw in matches when you look as though you are going to get beaten."

Shearer has been very supportive of United this season without interfering, and The Chronicle can reveal there has not been one match since he retired when he has not texted Glenn Roeder or one of his backroom staff.

Shearer added: "I am the first to wish United luck every week.

"Glenn Roeder is a friend of mine and I want him to do well at St James' Park and, fingers crossed, he will keep things going."

"Glenn Roeder is a friend of mine and I want him to do well at St James' Park and, fingers crossed, he will keep things going."

Untill you come back eh Alan? :lol:

and The Chronicle can reveal there has not been one match since he retired when he has not texted Glenn Roeder or one of his backroom staff.

Olivertastic, I'm guessing?

WOW, what breaking news! This is fucking red hot information! What a scoop!

Shearer was actually in Spain today, working in Barcelona in his role as an ambassador for Umbro, when I tracked him down.

= Shearer was in Spain when I rang him.

While being happy he is on his way back it is with reservations

While hopefully he should still be on top form we have lost the best part of 18 months service from him.

I dont believe his heart is with the club and i think at best he will only stay a season before moving on.

Bit of a coincidence his return coincides with England games looming really i think he is only interested in playing for ngland thats assuming we qualify of course.

With his trackrecord how long before he gets injured again?

:D Costing Oliver an extra 25p a minute too the bastard.

0800 R-E-V-E-R-S-E :D

I've never seen a post with such little thought put into it - where's the picture of Holly? :)

Holly_Valance-photography_064.jpg

:lol:

Alan Shearer has welcomed the impending return of Michael Owen - and is hoping his big pal can help Newcastle United claw their way a little higher up the Premiership table.

United's £17m man is slowly edging back to full fitness, and while Saturday's game at Portsmouth will come to early for him, Owen could still play some part in the last four matches of the season.

And no-one will be happier at this prospect than Shearer who, of course, played a big part in luring Owen to Tyneside from Real Madrid.

And in an exclusive interview with the Chronicle he told me: "United have had a very good Easter with four points out of six in the Premiership, and hopefully they can finish the season on a high.

"It has been so frustrating for Glenn Roeder this season because of all the injuries United have had.

"And it is more frustrating for him that just when the season is about to come to an end, it looks like they are going to get Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi back from their injuries.

"And if they do come back it will help Newcastle pick up a few more points between now and the end of the season."

It is of regret to both of them that Shearer and Owen only lined up together on 10 occasions for United, including that game at Upton Park when Owen bagged a hat-trick and Shearer the other goal in a 4-2 victory over West Ham.

This led Shearer to add: "Obviously Newcastle have missed Michael while he has been injured, but then every team in the world would have missed him.

"Newcastle have missed his quality as a goalscorer and also his ability as a goal poacher.

"He is the type of striker who turns draws into three points and who can help you nick a draw in matches when you look as though you are going to get beaten."

Shearer has been very supportive of United this season without interfering, and The Chronicle can reveal there has not been one match since he retired when he has not texted Glenn Roeder or one of his backroom staff.

Shearer added: "I am the first to wish United luck every week.

You can just picture the scene.

Somewhere in Spain.

Shearer's mobile rings and he looks at the screen to see who is calling. He turns to whoever is with him, rolls his eyes ( :lol: ) and says, 'It's that tosser Oliver again".