Owen for £8m!?!...........

Asprilla

Looking inside from out, I can't understand the amount of stick Souness got. Half of the stick he got came before he even had a game. Fat Freddy was daft to back Robson last year but then sack him after 3 games which gave Souness no time whatsoever. Although he was maybe on the verge of the sack he did get Blackburn to 6th playing great football and winning a cup on  the way. Newcastle were in a bit of a mess 12 months ago but Souness had a good run last year before fading away. He's got rid of the dickheads - Bellamy and Robert to name two and brought in some excellent players - Owen, Luque, Emre and Parker.

I lost so much respect for Souness when he was manager with us but can't help that your fans have been far too hard on him. Just an outside opinion like.

24625[/snapback]

You're definitely right about people being too hard on him when he first came. A lot of people had made their minds up before he'd even managed one game. To be fair the jury is still out, but he certainly wasn't given a fair crack of the whip by a lot of people.

24634[/snapback]

Definitley mate. I think Parker, Luque and Emre are collectivley better signings than Owen for £17m but even last week Souness was being called every name under the sun? The team was booed off on Sunday and the Souness out campaign continued. Yet suddenly signing Owen sounds as if everyone thinks your troubles will go. They won't. He's forging an excellent first team (squad ain't great) and brought in players to play good football and he's won a HUGE PR battle with the signing of Owen but things wont click into place overnight. Owen will have a miserable time feeding off scraps (he did that enough after 2001 with Houllier). Newcastle need some patience I think.

I've backed you for 6th place personally.

24646[/snapback]

Patience is one of the key ingredients to a successful side IMO!

24654[/snapback]

Aye and patience may be the key to a relegation battle the way we have been playing!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Robson won things BEFORE he came here. So did Souness. Your point?

Keegan actually never won anything as a manager apart from the then Division One championship IIRC.

Robson won nothing HERE in 5 years. Nor did Keegan.

My prediction is that if GS gets that kind of time he will win something.

You disagree with me, that is all. Don't call me a child because I don't agree with you.

You said Souness had won a cup, i pointed out Bobby won things, neither did it at NUFC so i fail to see why you are mentioning what Souness won but not Bobby.

Keegan didn't win a trophy, he did however tale ateam in complete ruin get them promoted and playing some of the bets football the game has ever witnessed and withing a couple of games and crap refreees of winning the title, somethign Souness will never achieve.

I said only a child could fail to see that Souness is lacking tactically, if you can't see it i assume you are a child or a very underdevloped adult.

24653[/snapback]

I mentioned it because Souness managed to win a cup at a Blackburn. With far less money than Robson did here.

I said myself that tactically, Souness is not the greatest. Tactics are not the be all and end all of football.

Keegan is not regarded as a great tactician either so on that point: Check Mate.

I said that Souness's tactics at the club as a whole WERE good. He's got rid of the main troublemakers and brought in solid replacements.

If you can't understand that as my point of view, I can't be arsed to carry on with you.

Just drop it, we disagree.

24646[/snapback]

Which is worse than where Robson finished, despite a spend of 45 MILLION quid. :rolleyes:

I take it you are too young to remember what Souness did to Liverpool, he is doing exactly the same to us but twice as fast. He has had his chance, and failed more miserably than Dalglish or Gullit - that is a fact. Being a scouser you won't know the half of what Souness has done to our club and what its now like to watch us. I have waited over half a year now to see us win in the league!

If we don't win the next two games I think he will be gone. That's not a fact, but it's what I like to think.

Looking inside from out, I can't understand the amount of stick Souness got. Half of the stick he got came before he even had a game. Fat Freddy was daft to back Robson last year but then sack him after 3 games which gave Souness no time whatsoever. Although he was maybe on the verge of the sack he did get Blackburn to 6th playing great football and winning a cup on  the way. Newcastle were in a bit of a mess 12 months ago but Souness had a good run last year before fading away. He's got rid of the dickheads - Bellamy and Robert to name two and brought in some excellent players - Owen, Luque, Emre and Parker.

I lost so much respect for Souness when he was manager with us but can't help that your fans have been far too hard on him. Just an outside opinion like.

24625[/snapback]

You're definitely right about people being too hard on him when he first came. A lot of people had made their minds up before he'd even managed one game. To be fair the jury is still out, but he certainly wasn't given a fair crack of the whip by a lot of people.

24634[/snapback]

Definitley mate. I think Parker, Luque and Emre are collectivley better signings than Owen for £17m but even last week Souness was being called every name under the sun? The team was booed off on Sunday and the Souness out campaign continued. Yet suddenly signing Owen sounds as if everyone thinks your troubles will go. They won't. He's forging an excellent first team (squad ain't great) and brought in players to play good football and he's won a HUGE PR battle with the signing of Owen but things wont click into place overnight. Owen will have a miserable time feeding off scraps (he did that enough after 2001 with Houllier). Newcastle need some patience I think.

24646[/snapback]

24654[/snapback]

Not when you have the wrong man it isn't.

Once again you have shown your complete ignorance by comparing Souness's utterly shit CV with Bobby Robsons :rolleyes: . You really are a fool.

24646[/snapback]

We know that we have a good squad. We also had a squad that was better than 14th on the paper. You pointed out to Souness good run last season. Sorry, but at two stages in the season we won a couple of games against second rate European teams and English teams like Coventry and Yeovil. Except that we got tonked at home a couple of times, played very poor football overall. The last goal at home scored by a Newcastle player in March.

The signing of Owen has appeased a few. I was prepared to give him time after his first radio interview which turned out to be a great PR stunt. "The best team I have ever managed." "I am the most attacking minded manager the club ever had." "The club won't need an overhaul." "It is just about some fine tuning." etc. Those obviously were blatant lies. He hasn't been able to fulfil one of these promises. He demanded a complete overhaul. He played crap football and even the defensive record got worse. His only consistency is coming from searching for excuses.

Souness had more then 50 games. 90% of them were crap. For me he had enough chances to demonstrate that he isn't capable of doing the job.

24625[/snapback]

24634[/snapback]

24646[/snapback]

24654[/snapback]

Once again you have shown your complete ignorance by comparing Souness's utterly shit CV with Bobby Robsons :rolleyes: . You really are a fool.

24687[/snapback]

24646[/snapback]

We know that we have a good squad. We also had a squad that was better than 14th on the paper. You pointed out to Souness good run last season. Sorry, but at two stages in the season we won a couple of games against second rate European teams and English teams like Coventry and Yeovil. Except that we got tonked at home a couple of times, played very poor football overall. The last goal at home scored by a Newcastle player in March.

The signing of Owen has appeased a few. I was prepared to give him time after his first radio interview which turned out to be a great PR stunt. "The best team I have ever managed." "I am the most attacking minded manager the club ever had." "The club won't need an overhaul." "It is just about some fine tuning." etc. Those obviously were blatant lies. He hasn't been able to fulfil one of these promises. He demanded a complete overhaul. He played crap football and even the defensive record got worse. His only consistency is coming from searching for excuses.

Souness had more then 50 games. 90% of them were crap. For me he had enough chances to demonstrate that he isn't capable of doing the job.

24691[/snapback]

Completely agree!

I said that Souness's tactics at the club as a whole WERE good. He's got rid of the main troublemakers and brought in solid replacements.

24676[/snapback]

Are you Souness? Because it's clear from that sentence you don't know what tactics are, or indeed your arse from your elbow!

I mentioned it because Souness managed to win a cup at a Blackburn. With far less money than Robson did here.

And as Isegrim has already pointed out to you did you see who he beat to win that cup, compared to Bobby getting us into the CL and doign well there.

Keegan is not regarded as a great tactician either so on that point: Check Mate.

If you can do what Keegan did with NUFC and have them playing football the likes of which we won't see again and come that close to being a title winnign team, you can get away with not beinng a tactical genius. Souness hasn't got thos other attributes Keegan had and so needs a solid, organised tactical gameplan and a plan B when change is needed.

Do you even know what the word tactics means in football? Getting rid of players and signign new ones is nothing to do with tactics. And you're idea of a trouble maker is somebody elses idea of a player he couldn't handle.

If you can't understand that as my point of view, I can't be arsed to carry on with you.

I'm devastated you can't be arsed to carry on with me :angry:

And we don't disagree, i'm right and you're wrong thats all! :rolleyes:

How are you posting here and outside St James' at the same time?

24221[/snapback]

I'm making a perfectly fair point, why have you got to spoil it?

24311[/snapback]

Aah, the little boy who cried wolf.

24317[/snapback]

You are just as bad.

I'm taking crap off a lot of people here because I stood up for the board.

Now everyone's happy because they bought Owen. What's even more sad is the deluded view that the "fans" made it happen.

That's sadder than sad.

That's gay.

24322[/snapback]

Cunt off you cockring :rolleyes:

24323[/snapback]

You're really winning the argument with efforts like that :angry:

Well done.

24333[/snapback]

How does "fuck off butt plug" grab you.

24676[/snapback]

Are you Souness? Because it's clear from that sentence you don't know what tactics are, or indeed your arse from your elbow!

24701[/snapback]

Tactics are for school teachers aren't they? Or is that tic-tacs?

24625[/snapback]

24634[/snapback]

24646[/snapback]

24654[/snapback]

24687[/snapback]

24693[/snapback]

I'll make it very easy for you.

Bobby Robson came with a very high pedigree to Newcastle. He had won some trophies (but not nearly as many good ones as people think).

Graeme Souness came to Newcastle with a lower pedigree. He too had won some trophies.

Robson won nothing in 5 years, with massive backing from the board.

Nothing. Not even a tin pot trophy out in Malaysia.

During the same period, Graeme Souness managed to win the Worthington Cup at lowly Blackburn, a feat that were it to be repeated on Tyneside would make him a legend.

Stop calling me a fool.

24676[/snapback]

24701[/snapback]

Tactics don't only apply to a football field.

tac·tics :

(used with a sing. verb) The military science that deals with securing objectives set by strategy, especially the technique of deploying and directing troops, ships, and aircraft in effective maneuvers against an enemy: Tactics is a required course at all military academies.

(used with a pl. verb) Maneuvers used against an enemy: Guerrilla tactics were employed during most of the war.

(used with a sing. or pl. verb) A procedure or set of maneuvers engaged in to achieve an end, an aim, or a goal.

Souness last season got us 14th place with some of the worst performances I have seen at St. James park for over 14 years.

So far this season we are 2nd bottom, no goals, weaker defence and are producing even worse performances than last year.

Pardon me for not being particularly confident that he is capable of doing the job!

Edited by Slugsy

And as Isegrim has already pointed out to you did you see who he beat to win that cup, compared to Bobby getting us into the CL and doign well there.

If you can do what Keegan did with NUFC and have them playing football the likes of which we won't see again and come that close to being a title winnign team, you can get away with not beinng a tactical genius. Souness hasn't got thos other attributes Keegan had and so needs a solid, organised tactical gameplan and a plan B when change is needed.

Do you even know what the word tactics means in football? Getting rid of players and signign new ones is nothing to do with tactics. And you're idea of a trouble maker is somebody elses idea of a player he couldn't handle.

I'm devastated you can't be arsed to carry on with me :angry:

And we don't disagree, i'm right and you're wrong thats all! :rolleyes:

24702[/snapback]

No, we just disagree.

How are you posting here and outside St James' at the same time?

24221[/snapback]

I'm making a perfectly fair point, why have you got to spoil it?

24311[/snapback]

Aah, the little boy who cried wolf.

24317[/snapback]

You are just as bad.

I'm taking crap off a lot of people here because I stood up for the board.

Now everyone's happy because they bought Owen. What's even more sad is the deluded view that the "fans" made it happen.

That's sadder than sad.

That's gay.

24322[/snapback]

Cunt off you cockring :rolleyes:

24323[/snapback]

You're really winning the argument with efforts like that :angry:

Well done.

24333[/snapback]

How does "fuck off butt plug" grab you.

24704[/snapback]

Yesterday you were asking me for a job.

Sorry to say, I won't be pursuing that particularly attractive option.

24625[/snapback]

24634[/snapback]

24646[/snapback]

24654[/snapback]

24687[/snapback]

24693[/snapback]

Bobby Robson came with a very high pedigree to Newcastle. He had won some trophies (but not nearly as many good ones as people think).

Graeme Souness came to Newcastle with a lower pedigree. He too had won some trophies.

During the same period, Graeme Souness managed to win the Worthington Cup at lowly Blackburn, a feat that were it to be repeated on Tyneside would make him a legend.

Stop calling me a fool.

24713[/snapback]

Winning the FA cup with Ipswich, winning the UEFA cup with Ipswich, coming runners up in the league at Ipswich, getting to the semifinal of the world cup, winning the dutch league, winning the portuguese league, winning the cup winners cup with Barcelona, and getting us established in the top 5 of the EPL and the second phase of the CL.

Yeah, you can really compare that to winning a few things in a two horse league, winning the FA cup at Liverpool (and systematically wrecking the club), winning a literally worthless cup at Galatasary, and the mickey mouse club at Blackburn (before destroying said club). Getting sacked from every job bar rangers, giving Newcastle their worst ever league position since being promoted.

Get real, if you think they compare as managers you are an utter fool.

24625[/snapback]

24634[/snapback]

24646[/snapback]

24654[/snapback]

24687[/snapback]

24693[/snapback]

Stop calling me a fool.

24713[/snapback]

Winning the FA cup with Ipswich, winning the UEFA cup with Ipswich, coming runners up in the league at Ipswich, getting to the semifinal of the world cup, winning the dutch league, winning the portuguese league, winning the cup winners cup with Barcelona, and getting us established in the top 5 of the EPL and the second phase of the CL.

Yeah, you can really compare that to winning a few things in a two horse league, winning the FA cup at Liverpool (and systematically wrecking the club), winning a literally worthless cup at Galatasary, and the mickey mouse club at Blackburn (before destroying said club). Getting sacked from every job bar rangers, giving Newcastle their worst ever league position since being promoted.

Get real, if you think they compare as managers you are an utter fool.

24745[/snapback]

I said Robson's record was superior to Souness's. :angry: READ MY POSTS MORE CAREFULLY.

You STILL fail to explain why Robson won nothing.

tac·tics :

(used with a sing. verb) The military science that deals with securing objectives set by strategy, especially the technique of deploying and directing troops, ships, and aircraft in effective maneuvers against an enemy: Tactics is a required course at all military academies.

(used with a pl. verb) Maneuvers used against an enemy: Guerrilla tactics were employed during most of the war.

(used with a sing. or pl. verb) A procedure or set of maneuvers engaged in to achieve an end, an aim, or a goal.

24725[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

I think when people talk about tactics in relation to football they are normally on about the tactics that are employed on the field of play during a match. It may be useful for you to remember this so that you don't think that when people refer to tactics in relation to Graeme Souness they are talking about his views on how the Spanish Armada was defeated. Just a thought like.

tac·tics :

24725[/snapback]

I think when people talk about tactics in relation to football they are normally on about the tactics that are employed on the field of play during a match. It may be useful for you to remember this so that you don't think that when people refer to tactics in relation to Graeme Souness they are talking about his views on how the Spanish Armada was defeated. Just a thought like.

24781[/snapback]

From a previous quote of mine:

He has got rid of the idiots in the dressing room and replaced them with solid professionals.

You say his tactics on the pitch are non existant, (I may even be sympathetic to that opinion,) but at the club they're not too shabby. :angry:

PLEASE READ MY POSTS MORE CAREFULLY.

IT WILL HELP YOU LOOK LESS STUPID.

I said Robson's record was superior to Souness's.  :rolleyes: READ MY POSTS MORE CAREFULLY.

24769[/snapback]

You fail to adress my point, which is that Robson is clearly a far superior manager to Souness, who time and time again has proven himself to be shit. We should have got a superior one, not a worse one! You think two tin pot cups in 13 years makes Souness a suitable candidate for us, to me it speaks volumes.

As for why Robson never won anything here, I don't know, nobody does. It's very hard to win the league now and he never took the league cup seriously. He had some bad luck in the FA cup, we came very close in 2000.

But that's besides the point. Souness is our manager, and the only thing you can think of to back him up is that he won the league cup at Blackburn. Well whoopy do!

I see you have proved you have no concept of tactics, well done for knowing what an online dictionary is though! :angry:

tac·tics :

24725[/snapback]

24781[/snapback]

He has got rid of the idiots in the dressing room and replaced them with solid professionals.

You say his tactics on the pitch are non existant, (I may even be sympathetic to that opinion,) but at the club they're not too shabby. :angry:

24795[/snapback]

I did read that and I could argue that he handled the Bellamy and Robert situations really badly. However, I think most people would agree with my definition of tactics in relation to a football manager.

I said Robson's record was superior to Souness's.  :angry: READ MY POSTS MORE CAREFULLY.

24769[/snapback]

As for why Robson never won anything here, I don't know, nobody does.

24806[/snapback]

You make my point perfectly.

Track record means very little once you join a new club.

Let's just get behind the manager and the team and see what happens.

tac·tics :

24725[/snapback]

24781[/snapback]

24795[/snapback]

I did read that and I could argue that he handled the Bellamy and Robert situations really badly. However, I think most people would agree with my definition of tactics in relation to a football manager.

24810[/snapback]

There are tactics on the pitch.

Then there are the tactics of how you manage.

Gullits tactics of trying to get to Shearer by treating Robert Lee like shit didn't work.

Souness's tactics of getting rid of the trouble makers I think will work.

It's a very simple concept. Same word, just used in different contexts.