Seasoned USA travellers ?? Advice

Toonpack

SO the Mrs' Boss has a timeshare thingy and can't use two weeks this year and the superstar has given them to us to use as we want WHOOO HOOO

So will likely go Stateside, current thinking is Week 1 Arizona and then South Carolina for a week (gonna slip a week in Vegas in between, freeloading with some friends)

Any opinions ???

Ta very much

SO the Mrs' Boss has a timeshare thingy and can't use two weeks this year and the superstar has given them to us to use as we want WHOOO HOOO

So will likely go Stateside, current thinking is Week 1 Arizona and then South Carolina for a week (gonna slip a week in Vegas in between, freeloading with some friends)

Any opinions ???

Ta very much

Aye, keep your good news to yourself and stop milking it <_<

I'm looking at a week in the south/south west of of France. I fancy paying a bit extra and renting a private farmhouse/pool etc. Looking at ones that sleep upto eight but like I say, dont mind paying that bit more because of the privacy and exculsivity. Love the idea of having my own pool for the week. Although a smattering of topless females certainly wouldnt come amiss.

Any opinions ???

Ta very much

Aye, keep your good news to yourself and stop milking it <_<

I'm looking at a week in the south/south west of of France. I fancy paying a bit extra and renting a private farmhouse/pool etc. Looking at ones that sleep upto eight but like I say, dont mind paying that bit more because of the privacy and exculsivity. Love the idea of having my own pool for the week. Although a splattering on topless females certainly wouldnt come amiss.

Perve :blink:

The Carolinas are supposed to be beautiful. [shaggy]Oh Carolina.[/shaggy]

Whereabouts in Arizona are you going, Toonpack? I've been to Phoenix and Glendale with work, and tbh I wouldn't go back. It's unbearably hot. Sedona is meant to be nice for spa type places and that, but it's mega-expensive, and if you don't cope well with heat you're basically confined to the indoors.

I would be going East Coast or West personally, but I guess it depends where the timeshare is.

Whereabouts in Arizona are you going, Toonpack? I've been to Phoenix and Glendale with work, and tbh I wouldn't go back. It's unbearably hot. Sedona is meant to be nice for spa type places and that, but it's mega-expensive, and if you don't cope well with heat you're basically confined to the indoors.

I would be going East Coast or West personally, but I guess it depends where the timeshare is.

Wow, Gemmill advises going to the East or West coast, that narrows it down.

The Carolina's are over rated and not woth a visit imo; well possibly worh one if it's a freebie and the place is by the ocean or in the mountains.

Wow, Gemmill advises going to the East or West coast, that narrows it down.

The Carolina's are over rated and not woth a visit imo; well possibly worh one if it's a freebie and the place is by the ocean or in the mountains.

Well the West Coast is California, and I'm assuming he has a good idea of places to go there, as well as the East Coast, assmonkey!

The Carolinas made the list because as you say it's supposed to be beautifull

The timeshare can be used anywhere in the world, basically. But fancy doing somewhere in the US (boring I know) but means I can fit in my freebie Vegas trip with me pal.

Fancied Arizona from a wild west type of thing, deserts etc, and it'll be in October so probably not too hot. But not set on that at all. Was thinking of Tucson, but having read up a bit seems you shouldn't go out after dark <_<

California's a consideration but it's a mighty long haul getting there

The timeshare can be used anywhere in the world, basically. But fancy doing somewhere in the US (boring I know) but means I can fit in my freebie Vegas trip with me pal.

Fancied Arizona from a wild west type of thing, deserts etc, and it'll be in October so probably not too hot. But not set on that at all. Was thinking of Tucson, but having read up a bit seems you shouldn't go out after dark <_<

Memphis, Nashville and New Orleans are all worth a visit and driving between them is do-able an'all - there's stuff to do in Memphis (Graceland, Sun Records, Civil Rights Museum - they've converted the actual motel where King was shot into a museum), although tbh there's not much to do in Nashville but laugh at people linedancing in pubs.

There's loads really, but I would put Arizona fairly low on a list of places to visit in the US. If you went to California, you could go to say San Diego and drive to Vegas. Or LA and drive to Vegas via Death Valley. You could go a bit out of your way into Arizona to the Grand Canyon on either of those trips too. You're probably only looking at 2 hours difference in flight time between California and Arizona too, I would have thought?

Memphis, Nashville and New Orleans are all worth a visit and driving between them is do-able an'all - there's stuff to do in Memphis (Graceland, Sun Records, Civil Rights Museum - they've converted the actual motel where King was shot into a museum), although tbh there's not much to do in Nashville but laugh at people linedancing in pubs.

There's loads really, but I would put Arizona fairly low on a list of places to visit in the US. If you went to California, you could go to say San Diego and drive to Vegas. Or LA and drive to Vegas via Death Valley. You could go a bit out of your way into Arizona to the Grand Canyon on either of those trips too. You're probably only looking at 2 hours difference in flight time between California and Arizona too, I would have thought?

Thought about Nawlins but not sure how it's recovered from that bit of wind and rain it had :blink:

Deffo going to do Grand Canyon from Vegas, might check out San Diego as well, what about Frisco ?? you've been there a few times haven't you ?

Deffo going to do Grand Canyon from Vegas, might check out San Diego as well, what about Frisco ?? you've been there a few times haven't you ?

Aye that's where I lived when I was there. It's class, and it's only an hour on the plane from there to Vegas (you can drive it in a day, but it's not pleasant at all). Lake Tahoe is 3 or 4 hours away if you wanted somewhere to go in the country, and Monterey and Carmel are day trips down the Pacific Coast Highway.

In terms of stuff to do in San Francisco, there's the touristy stuff like Alcatraz, the cable cars, the bridge, and just wandering around the city. You can get the ferry over to Sausalito which is nice for a day out, or drive over the bridge and go to Stinson Beach which is another decent day out.

Not much wild west there though. Lots of puffs which I gather is right up your alley. <_<

You can get Amtrak passes which is an ideal way to travel arounf America if you don't like driving. Probably more suited to East coast where the distances are less immense.

Aye that's where I lived when I was there. It's class, and it's only an hour on the plane from there to Vegas (you can drive it in a day, but it's not pleasant at all). Lake Tahoe is 3 or 4 hours away if you wanted somewhere to go in the country, and Monterey and Carmel are day trips down the Pacific Coast Highway.

In terms of stuff to do in San Francisco, there's the touristy stuff like Alcatraz, the cable cars, the bridge, and just wandering around the city. You can get the ferry over to Sausalito which is nice for a day out, or drive over the bridge and go to Stinson Beach which is another decent day out.

Not much wild west there though. Lots of puffs which I gather is right up your alley. <_<

Be extinct by the time I get there in October man ! :blink:

Fancied Arizona from a wild west type of thing, deserts etc, and it'll be in October so probably not too hot.

Is this the sort of thing you've got in mind?:

http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/monu...hotographs.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_valley

Monument Valley, on the borders of Utah and Arizona.

My advice:

1. Don't joke or even be light-hearted with the guys at immigration because they will fuck you over and keep you in their little office interviewing you for an hour and a half making you run across LAX to make your connection.

2. Don't take any text book with a radiation logo on it with you because they will accuse you of making dirty bombs and being in league with terrorist cells even though the book is quite clearly labelled as a medical one.

3. They have the greatest theme parks ever. Six Flags in New Jersey and Ohio are AWESOME and I'm planning a Florida trip just to go to Islands of Adventure. So make sure you check some of them out because you will have a kickarse time.

Arizona - depends on the time of year - in summer it is god awful hot but you'll have a/c so it's not impossible...........

Grand Canyon of course and Monument Valley (just off the NE corner of the state

S Carolina is quite pleasant - Charleston is worth a visit - v sticky in summer but fabulous in the fall