Dein tops Ashley's wish list

Scottish Mag

Newcastle's would-be new owner Mike Ashley has targeted his first big signing - former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein.

Ashley, who is set to take full control of United, possibly this week, wants friend and neighbour Dein to run the club and deliver his dreams of glory.

Publicity-shy Ashley is loath to involve himself in day to day matters at St James's Park.

Instead, the billionaire wants to install a dynamic, experienced operator in the dual role of chairman/chief executive long performed by current Newcastle supremo Freddy Shepherd.

And Dein - the man who took Arsene Wenger to Arsenal in 1996 - fits the bill perfectly.

During 24 years with the Gunners, Dein forged a reputation as one of European football's key powerbrokers.

As well as establishing Arsenal as a formidable force on the pitch, he became vice-chairman of the FA, before representing the Premier League on the FA board.

Dein was pivotal in the FA's successful bid to land Sven-Goran Eriksson as England coach and was one of the panel who chose Steve McClaren as the Swede's successor.

He was also chairman of the G14 group of European super clubs until leaving Arsenal last month amid a row over his support for a proposed takeover of the club by American tycoon Stan Kroenke.

Dein and Ashley have homes literally yards apart in London's exclusive Totteridge Common, and know each other well.

But it may need much persuasion for Dein to come on board at Newcastle, with the long-time Gunner harbouring long-term hopes of a return to Arsenal.

It is understood that Kroenke would look to reinstate Dein in an executive position if he goes on to win control of the London giants.

However, if Dein was to take charge of Newcastle, it would place a further question mark against the future of new United boss Sam Allardyce.

During his days at Bolton, Allardyce was fiercely critical of Dein's influence within football.

And that raises the distant but tantalising prospect of Arsene Wenger - who was dismayed by long-time ally Dein's exit from Arsenal - being targeted for the manager's job at St James's Park.

It would be an absolutely fantastic appointment if it came off, though I can't see him being tempted if these Americans still have aspirations of taking over at Arsenal.

It would be an absolutely fantastic appointment if it came off, though I can't see him being tempted if these Americans still have aspirations of taking over at Arsenal.

Agree with that, its unlikely he'll come, but would be fantastic if he did.

Imagine if we ended up going from the complete and utter shambles that NUFC is/was to being run by Ashley and Dein, with Allardyce and all his backroom team below them, it would be a complete transformation with professionalism from top to bottom!

Imagine if we ended up going from the complete and utter shambles that NUFC is/was to being run by Ashley and Dein, with Allardyce and all his backroom team below them, it would be a complete transformation with professionalism from top to bottom!

Aye and talk of signing decent defenders.

Its just not Newcastle is is? :lol:

Bring back the shambles... :)

As great as it sounds, I can't see it happening, Ashley hasn't taken over yet, we've still got the obsticle of Shepherd and his greed to contend with.

Aye and talk of signing decent defenders.

Its just not Newcastle is is? :lol:

Bring back the shambles... :)

I know, its almost like its not the club we know and love anymore! Still as has been said we've a long way to go yet before everything is sorted!

Am i missing something? He isnt employed by Arsenal anymore.

Am i missing something? He isnt employed by Arsenal anymore.

He left Arsenal because the rest of the board didn't want the Yanks taking over but he did, so if they did succeed in a takeover then he would have his old job back pretty sharpish.

David Dein? At Newcastle?

Fucking hell, what's going on? :lol:

I'm with you on that one - not getting too carried away though, this IS the Sunday People reporting it...

He's got shares in Arsenal though hasn't he? Would that not mean he can't actually be employed by us?

In the conflict of interest sense ? I guess that if we were delisted from the stockexchange that wouldn't matter.