Is there too much football on television?

Guest stevieintoon

No wonder you obviously don't care about 3 o'clock saturday kick offs, it suits you to watch the matches on TV, yet at the same time you have the brass neck to berate other Newcastle fans who have to put up with changing fixture lists and fucked up kick off times. :lol:

I have a season ticket now for the coming season, as I have had done for the vast majority of years since 1992, and in all that time I've missed 25 league games tops. So that was a cheap uncalled for dig that Renton pal.

Aye, sorry, it was cheap, I take it back, sorry. But it is the most important point you missed from your post. If I was an exile I'd want as much footy as possible, but I think it's different if you go to matches. THe problem is striking the right balance and imo at present it's far too much in favour of the arm chair fan.

Guest stevieintoon
.............................................................. 95% of toon fans ....................... fall in to the following categories ................ clueless ............. know fuck all about the toon ............. know fuck all about football .......................... the time before Keegan ................................. I'm not getting at .............................. old enough, ....................................

Hey Stevieintoon, have you been talking to LeazesMag?

Sounds like the things he used to say about this old fart, and I mean old, old enough to have watched Stubbins in a black n' white shirt. :lol:

LeazesMag is invariably right, despite regularly being attacked by the JCL/young majority.

Ha ha, hilarious. Was he right in saying Souness was a top class manager?

Obviously that is a ridiculous point of view but people can't be right all the time.

Waht does invariably mean?

Leazes has his opinions, some are right, some are probably not, just like everything else. Just like your first post though, his view of the past has skewed his view of the future, the bloke simply can't understand how times have changed in football and a comparison with the past is pointless.

My view of the past has nothing to do with my view of the future. If you read my post, you will see the jist of it is, despite the negatives, the television boom in football is most welcome, when you consider how it was before hand? Think things through mate.

.............................................................. 95% of toon fans ....................... fall in to the following categories ................ clueless ............. know fuck all about the toon ............. know fuck all about football .......................... the time before Keegan ................................. I'm not getting at .............................. old enough, ....................................

Sounds like the things he used to say about this old fart, and I mean old, old enough to have watched Stubbins in a black n' white shirt. :lol:

LeazesMag is invariably right, despite regularly being attacked by the JCL/young majority.

Obviously that is a ridiculous point of view but people can't be right all the time.

Leazes has his opinions, some are right, some are probably not, just like everything else. Just like your first post though, his view of the past has skewed his view of the future, the bloke simply can't understand how times have changed in football and a comparison with the past is pointless.

My view of the past has nothing to do with my view of the future. If you read my post, you will see the jist of it is, despite the negatives, the television boom in football is most welcome, when you consider how it was before hand? Think things through mate.

Did you list any negatives? A bit more balance and that would be a top article btw, imo.

Guest stevieintoon

Did you list any negatives? A bit more balance and that would be a top article btw, imo.

I mention the fact the terraces are a miss, and the atmosphere has diminished, but to be fair there that's as much connected to the wider development of the game, since 1989, than specifically of television coverage. I tend to agree, Monday Night Football and the like, away games at Reading on Monday evenings etc.. I could've mentioned. It is an inconvenience, but to be honest, I'm not all misty eyed remembering 16 3 o'clock Saturday kick offs like most.

My favourite kick off time is 515 on a Saturday evening, when it's dark going in to the ground, and for the same reasons, that Friday night game we had at Arsenal, namely everyone was pissed and the atmosphere was class. I appreciate the logistics of travelling for these altered kick off times make it more difficult for your OOT'ers.

I think there's too much media discusion on the game, with 24 hour Sky Sports News and loads of Radio talk ins I find topics get done to death which bores the shit out of me.

Aye, that's probably more of a problem for me. Talksport probably being the worst.

I can't get enough of it. Found myself watching MUTV the other day as they were just showing some random game from around 3 years ago.

Not really been a break this year though in the football. U-21's, then the Copa and the Under 20 World Cup as well as friendlies all televised.

Guest stevieintoon
I can't get enough of it. Found myself watching MUTV the other day as they were just showing some random game from around 3 years ago.

Not really been a break this year though in the football. U-21's, then the Copa and the Under 20 World Cup as well as friendlies all televised.

I'm the same Barney, I even watched Celtic TV the other night, Celtic 2 Inter 1 was on from 1967 European Cup Final, they showed you bits of the game, and Billy McNeill, Steve Chalmers and Tommy Gemmell were sat round a telly watching and talking about it, thoroughly enjoyable.

Edited by stevieintoon

I think there can be overkill like. Best thing I did when I moved in with the Mrs was decide not to get Sky, which meant football became a social thing again, like it used to be.

I.e. gave you a good excuse to get pissed in the pub!

Mind, a few of us have reminisced on here before about the televised 4-0 win over West Ham about two decades ago now

Stephenson a little floater in there, and Thomas is there....YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH That was fuckin great. Well done Brian Moore.

Im an old bastard and can remember the pubs chucking out at 2 on a sunday afternoon

most of the pub would rush home to watch SHOOT ...it consisted of about 10 mins from each of north east teams

the only live games on tv were the fa cup final and if you were lucky the european cup final ....that was if there was an english team in the final

its big buisness now but its happy days for those that can only remember a few highlights from the burnley semi or a pitch invasion against notts forest....that got more coverage than the actual game

i can go out on a sat or sunday afternoon and watch the team i love play football and get pissed at the same time...it doesnt get any better

dont knock it ....its progress

Mate, you're a breath of fresh air. Truly I mean that. Especially on here, 95% of toon fans on the net, fall in to the following categories - clueless, boring (most), know fuck all about the toon, know fuck all about football. You have restored my faith in the fact that there's a toon fan on the net, who actually graphically remembers the time before Keegan. I'm not getting at young cunts, who weren't old enough, but lets be honest compared to the past, the crack, the knowledge, the fuckin ideology of supporting the toon, it's fucked up. Thank you for restoring my faith in the fact that not everyone is a wank.

Yeah, cos all of us are keeganites.....

You're not even a "Keeganite" you're a product of SKY, which is a whole lot different.

:lol:

any one with a high quality broadband connection can watch any game on the net through these chinese players you can download. they have over a 1000 sports channels world wide.not really worth doing though i found they can leave virus on the computer

Mind, a few of us have reminisced on here before about the televised 4-0 win over West Ham about two decades ago now

Stephenson a little floater in there, and Thomas is there....YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH That was fuckin great. Well done Brian Moore.

Im an old bastard and can remember the pubs chucking out at 2 on a sunday afternoon

most of the pub would rush home to watch SHOOT ...it consisted of about 10 mins from each of north east teams

the only live games on tv were the fa cup final and if you were lucky the european cup final ....that was if there was an english team in the final

its big buisness now but its happy days for those that can only remember a few highlights from the burnley semi or a pitch invasion against notts forest....that got more coverage than the actual game

i can go out on a sat or sunday afternoon and watch the team i love play football and get pissed at the same time...it doesnt get any better

dont knock it ....its progress

Mate, you're a breath of fresh air. Truly I mean that. Especially on here, 95% of toon fans on the net, fall in to the following categories - clueless, boring (most), know fuck all about the toon, know fuck all about football. You have restored my faith in the fact that there's a toon fan on the net, who actually graphically remembers the time before Keegan. I'm not getting at young cunts, who weren't old enough, but lets be honest compared to the past, the crack, the knowledge, the fuckin ideology of supporting the toon, it's fucked up. Thank you for restoring my faith in the fact that not everyone is a wank.

sut up man :lol: