Monday's Gossip

Magma

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Winger Arjen Robben has been told to sign a new Chelsea contract this week or be sold to Real Madrid. (Various)

Real have increased their offer for Robben by £6m to £20m. (Daily Mail)

Manchester City have agreed a £7.4m deal for Brazil midfielder Elano and he will complete his move from Shakhtar Donetsk on Tuesday. (Daily Star)

Valencia are ready to pay £13m for Bolton striker Nicolas Anelka, who could be tempted by the lure of Champions League football. (Daily Star)

Newcastle have made a surprise £6m bid for Manchester United striker Alan Smith. (Daily Mail)

Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson is considering a £7m move for Smith. (Telegraph)

Sheffield United's bid for Everton's James Beattie is likely to collapse over the striker's £40,000 a week wages. (Daily Star)

West Ham have told Carlos Tevez's agent he can have him for £6m - the minimum the Premier League will allow the club to be paid for his registration. But Joorabchian looks set to go ahead with his High Court action. That could wreck Manchester United's chances of signing the striker before the transfer window shuts on 31 August. (The Sun)

Joorabchian has offered only £100,000 to West Ham because he is so confident of winning a court case. (Daily Star)

Reading want to sign Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Glenn Whelan in a £1.4m deal. (Various)

Bolton could move for Hull goalkeeper Boaz Myhill with uncertainty over Jussi Jaaskelainen's future. (Telegraph)

Arsenal's £8m-rated midfielder Jose Antonio Reyes is set to sign for Atletico Madrid. Real Madrid, where the Spaniard spent last season on loan, are unwilling to pay more than £5m. (Daily Mirror)

Sunderland boss Roy Keane has admitted he is interested in Cork City striker Roy O'Donovan. (Independent)

Everton and Manchester City will battle it out for the signature of Leighton Baines after Wigan indicated their willingness to sell. (Daily Mirror)

But they could face competition from Manchester United, if they sell Gabriel Heinze. (Telegraph)

Portsmouth striker Lomana Lua Lua is being targeted by Sevilla and Espanyol. (Daily Mirror)

Derby are close to securing a £500,000 deal for Portsmouth defender Andy Griffin. (Telegraph)

Celtic have offered Jim O'Brien as part of their bid for Kilmarnock striker Steven Naismith. (Daily Record)

OTHER GOSSIP

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce would not welcome the return of Kevin Keegan to St James' Park in the role of director of football. (Various)

Celtic keeper Artur Boruc will miss the start of the season with a shoulder injury. (Daily Record)

AND FINALLY

A bemused Ronaldinho was given a bizarre gift during his visit to Scotland with Barcelona. One fan offered him an 'Instakilt' - a beach towel which doubles a kilt. (Daily Record)

I'd be quite pleasantly surprised. I think he's a decent player and can fill in in midfield and up front. Squad player, not first choice.

As for Keegan returning to the club - how would they have a clue how Allardyce would feel about it?! If it's handled correctly it could be a good move for the club and could help Allardyce out a ton - Keegan is many things, but he's not a "suit" so he won't settle for any shit about money not being available when he's talking to a billionaire, and if I could pick ANYONE to try to get across to the new owners the importance of signing good players and splashing some cash, Keegan would probably top the list. The bloke's enthusiasm is infectious - if Sam wanted a particular player, who better than Keegan to "sell" him to the new owners?

I'd be quite pleasantly surprised. I think he's a decent player and can fill in in midfield and up front. Squad player, not first choice.

Whether he can even fill in is debatable, he has certainly suffered from his attempted conversion to a midfielder but tbh never scored enough goals to be considered a decent striker, it's his attitude and work rate which fools a lot of people IMO.

Given that we seemingly won't be spending big money this transfer window I'd be gutted if we spunked £6m on a very average player for a position we don't particularly need filling.

I like the commitment Smith has and the way he always chases defenders, putting them under pressure, but he certainly doesn't score enough. He didn't suit midfield either.

Not the worst signing at £6m, but he's not a defender.

I like the commitment Smith has and the way he always chases defenders, putting them under pressure, but he certainly doesn't score enough. He didn't suit midfield either.

Decent player. Our central midfield isnt the strongest. Emre needs to sort himself out or leave. Barton, Geremi and Butt are decent. Dyer is off. We have very little there and Smith is a decent player to bolster numbers really, aswell as being versatile to some extent.

Guest James_coDurham

Decent player. Our central midfield isnt the strongest. Emre needs to sort himself out or leave. Barton, Geremi and Butt are decent. Dyer is off. We have very little there and Smith is a decent player to bolster numbers really, aswell as being versatile to some extent.

Barton, Butt, Geremi, Zog, Emre that can all play in the middle. Alan Smith isn't a better midfielder than any mentioned. Pointless signing.

I don't think I've seen N'Zogbia play well there. And he's been poor for a while anyway. I'm not sure about Smith though, he's never been prolific in terms of goals and he hasn't looked too clever since he came back from his last injury either. He never looked particularly comfortable as a converted central midfielder either.

We're well stocked on strikers and he's not good enough as a midfielder.

I though N'Zogbia looked very good yesterday in midfield.

I didn't see yesterday's game to be fair.

Also, tbf, N'Zogbia has looked too soft when played in the centre and was crap for the entirety of last season.

Was very impressed yesterday though. Tidy touches, aggressive play and great forward runs.

Also, tbf, N'Zogbia has looked too soft when played in the centre and was crap for the entirety of last season.

Was very impressed yesterday though. Tidy touches, aggressive play and great forward runs.

Aye but it was only a friendly, I'm unsure as to whether he could cut it in there in league games.

Yep, goes without saying that it can be hard to tell in friendlies. On the plus side, we might have a motivated N'Zogbia again, and central midfield is apparently his preferrred position.

Barton, Butt, Geremi, Zog, Emre that can all play in the middle. Alan Smith isn't a better midfielder than any mentioned. Pointless signing.

He's better than Emre.

So is Amdy Faye though.

He's better than Emre.

So is Amdy Faye though.

you're joking right?

He's better than Emre.

So is Amdy Faye though.

you're joking right?

About Faye, yes. Smith is better than that useless pile of shite Emre though.

He's better than Emre.

So is Amdy Faye though.

you're joking right?

About Faye, yes. Smith is better than that useless pile of shite Emre though.

don't be silly. emre is a far better footballer than smith

Far better? I wouldn't say that like. I don't get why people like Emre at all though.

i don't think emre's world class but i'd say he's a far better player in midfield than smudger smith.

smith would be a half decent sub as a striker but i don't rate him in midfield at all. he's a bit of a liability in the middle of the park and his goals to games ratio doesn't doesn't stack up enough to warrant spending £6m on him as a striker imo.

Far better? I wouldn't say that like. I don't get why people like Emre at all though.

i don't think emre's world class but i'd say he's a far better player in midfield than smudger smith.

smith would be a half decent sub as a striker but i don't rate him in midfield at all. he's a bit of a liability in the middle of the park and his goals to games ratio doesn't doesn't stack up enough to warrant spending £6m on him as a striker imo.

I think they're both pretty shit as midfielders in the Premiership.

More of a liability than Emre? I know which I'd rather have.

More of a liability than Emre? I know which I'd rather have.

seriously? smith in midfield over emre?