UKs favourite word

peasepud

Garlic", "mayfly" and "home" are among the entries submitted in a bid to find the UK's favourite word. The Words for the World campaign is a fun attempt to highlight the serious issue of children whose education is compromised by war. It has been organised by the charity Education Action, which aims to rebuild people's lives through learning. The campaign is linked to International Literacy Day on 8 September. People can contribute their own words online.

Words are the foundation for any education, but 80 million children around the world cannot go to school, almost half of them because they live in a war zone. Education Action is asking people to show their support for the need to educate all children by submitting their favourite word on their website. Head of Development at Education Action Chris Field said: "Giving their favourite word is a great way for people to show their support for the education of all children, particularly on International Literacy Day. "We've had some really interesting and fun results so far and look forward to seeing more."

Hundreds of people, including MPs, authors and actors, have added their contribution. Flamboyant Conservative MP Boris Johnson chose "carminative" which means "the effects of relieving flatulence", Peasepud went for Spunkbubble and maverick Respect MP George Galloway chose "indefatigability" (tirelessness). TV gardening guru Monty Don chose "home" and historian Simon Schama picked "garlic". Author Deborah Moggach's favourite word is "mayfly" and fellow novelist Jenny Colgan's is "panamax". She said: "It's used to describe the very high-sided narrow boats built to the maximum size that can go through the Panama canal. I just love the fact that the word describing perfect engineering efficiency is in itself such a beautiful model of efficiency."

Some people have chosen words because they like the sound of them, but the most popular so far are those associated with positive aspirations, like "peace", "love", and "serendipity".

You can add your favourite word here > http://www.education-action.org/default.asp?pageRef=274, wonder how many votes it would take to get something "unusual" in the top ten :lol:

Doyly, Cretinous, Inconsequential and Guttersnipe (pronounced the best by George Galloway MP on talkSPORT), are all words that have their merits.

Does 'Blow-job' constitute one, or two, words?? If one, I know my favourite word. If two, can I be the first to suggest a catagory for favourite two words?? ;)