Prince Harry turns 21

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Prince Harry has given a series of frank interviews to mark his 21st birthday, in which he admitted liking parties, beer and cigarettes, but also that he wished emulate his mother's charity work.

"I am who I am", he told interviewers. Here are some excerpts:

On his role as a member of the Royal Family...

Where I can see myself is doing as much as I can in the position that I've got.

I'm not going to be some person in the Royal Family who just finds a lame excuse to go abroad and do all sorts of sunny holidays and whatever.

I mean, I'll do the best I can.

On being a soldier...

Part of the conditions of me going to Sandhurst was the fact that I could be treated normally and could go on operations as a normal soldier, as a normal officer. With my guys.

Because the last thing I said, there's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst and sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country.

You know that may sound very patriotic but it's true. It's not the way anyone should really work.

On his reputation as a 'party prince'...

What, does everyone expect me to be just the caring person and not to have a cigarette, not to have a beer?

I think that's part of every person, not just every teenager, because unfortunately I'm not a teenager any more.

Everyone has to have a beer every now and then. Cigarettes - trying to give up.

But if I can still smoke and run as fast as I can in the Army, then that's not going to slow me down.

On his stepmother, the Duchess of Cornwall...

To be honest with you, she's always been very close to me and William.

But no, she's not the wicked stepmother. I'll say that right now.

Everyone has to understand that it's very hard for her. Look at the position she's coming into. Don't always feel sorry for me and William, feel sorry for her.

She's a wonderful woman and she's made our father very, very happy which is the most important thing. William and I love her to bits.

On his girlfriend Chelsy Davy and media interest in her...

What I think about it is definitely something I'm not going to talk about.

How do I deal with it? Just get on with it, really.

Deep down inside there's lots of stuff I'd love to say.

Sometimes you deal with it, sometimes you don't deal with it. You find yourself shouting and screaming at all sorts of different stuff. Next question.

On the infamous Nazi uniform fancy dress outfit...

Looking back on it now, and at the time as well, it was a very stupid thing to do and I've learnt my lesson - simple as that really.

I'm very sorry if I offended anybody. I'd like to put it in the past now. What's done is done. I regret it.

On his brother William...

I mean, ever since our mother died, obviously we were close, but he is the one person on this earth who I can actually really, you know, we can talk about anything.

James Hewitt must be so proud.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really irks me that he has to apologise for that Nazi Uniform.  The only naivety he's guilty of is not realising how fecking stupid people can be.

34023[/snapback]

I thought it was pretty inappropriate. The only thing it suggested to me was how stupid he was.

33871[/snapback]

Harsh but fair. :lol:

33908[/snapback]

Can something be harsh but fair? Surely it's self contradictory? :nufc:

34024[/snapback]

I'll give you an example, if I was to call you a big Manc tart, it would be harsh but fair

:nufc:

Really irks me that he has to apologise for that Nazi Uniform.  The only naivety he's guilty of is not realising how fecking stupid people can be.

34023[/snapback]

I thought it was pretty inappropriate. The only thing it suggested to me was how stupid he was.

34027[/snapback]

I think 'inappropriate' is being charitbale tbh. Wasn't he at something called a 'something??? and savages' party? Like a colonial/empire themed party.

As third in line to the throne I think thats a pretty spectacular faux-pas.

33871[/snapback]

Harsh but fair. :lol:

33908[/snapback]

Can something be harsh but fair? Surely it's self contradictory? :nufc:

34024[/snapback]

I'll give you an example, if I was to call you a big Manc tart, it would be harsh but fair

:nufc:

34028[/snapback]

Sizeist and regionist!

34023[/snapback]

34027[/snapback]

The reaction was inappropriate. I find using the holocaust as an excuse for pettiness a bit sickening to be honest. Unfortunately it seems to be used more often for that and political point scoring than for educating people as to how to stop shite like that happening again.

Don't think I'd pay much notice if someone turned up in a Nazi outfit to a fancy dress.

34023[/snapback]

34027[/snapback]

The reaction was inappropriate. I find using the holocaust as an excuse for pettiness a bit sickening to be honest. Unfortunately it seems to be used more often for that and political point scoring than for educating people as to how to stop shite like that happening again.

Don't think I'd pay much notice if someone turned up in a Nazi outfit to a fancy dress.

34032[/snapback]

Fair enough mate, I think he was daft but there was an overreaction too. I still think it was innappropriate though. By the way, does anyone actually have fancy dress parties these days. They were all the rage with my parents age group when I was a nipper.

34023[/snapback]

34027[/snapback]

34032[/snapback]

Agree on that score.

I still think you'd find that some Jewish people would take offence at their pissed up (potential) future monarch parading round in a Nazi outfit though.

I can agree with what both of you have said above. I guess I was just massively more put off by the reaction than the actual incicent (plus the easy attack on a symbol when the whole party theme of Colonials and Slaves was a bit dodgy).

We tend to notice when a future monarch should never behave in such a manner but never dream of realising the enormous pressure that puts on a kid. The way the media went after that family gets to me.

The daft thing is, some of the newspapers that went way OTT are the ones responsible for far more insidious racism in this country.

34038[/snapback]

Not to mention they might have wanted to give the kids a break after what they did to the mother. I'm sick of blaming the media though, blame their customers. If it doesn't sell papers, they won't do it.

Since when did we expect Prince's to behave?

Anyone ever read Shakespeare???

Or the Prince Regent who was banged up for being D&D in piccadilly and had to send for his tailor to bail him out?

Or Bertie, the Great Queen's son...................

The lad's a retard, which makes me think he might be Charlie's after all.

I mean you go to the most expensive private school in the country, and you still have to cheat on you're HISTORY OF ART A level exam paper in order to get into the army? :lol:

One of the things I hate about living in this country, I'm not even a citizen, I am a 'subject' of these fuckwits.

Bring down the monarchy I say.

:nufc::nufc::nufc::nufc::blink::blink::woosh::woosh::woosh::woosh::woosh::woosh:

I still think you'd find that some Jewish people would take offence at their pissed up (potential) future monarch parading round in a Nazi outfit though.

34037[/snapback]

Perhaps, but I believe it was just an excuse to dress up, put on a silly accent and goosestep around for the amusement of his mates - which would rank it alongside Basil Fawlty.

The theme of that party was "Colonial and Natives"... Not necessarily dodgy, it just gives scope for interesting costumes. However, I know for a fact that some of those in the circles Harry & co. move in have "interesting" views... I think most can be taken as innocent thanks to naivity through a sheltered upbringing, though.

The most stupid thing Harry did that night? He went to a fancy dress party titled "Colonials and Natives" dressed as a member of Rommel's Afrika Corps.

The lad's a retard, which makes me think he might be Charlie's after all.

James Hewitt is no Einstein...Harry's such an embarressment the Royal Family should just admit he's the dad, and therefore nothing to do with them.

34113[/snapback]

You posted whilst I was posting...

Nah, they have to take responsibility - he's definitely Charlie's kid - or at least a member of the family - he looks more and more like Edward all the time (and we thought he was a whoopsie...). He sounds just like Charlie, too.

Brains are not and never have been a qualification for being Royal

At the start if WW1 George V objected to a newspaper article labelling him as "a stupid, lazy German" on the grounds that he wasn't german

I consider them an irrelevance to be honest.

34111[/snapback]

Naive I think. It's true that they have little political power, but they are still the living embodiment of the class system. A soceity not fundamentally based on freedom or merit, but class and privilege.

And then of course they are always there in the media. We are expected to respect Charle's idiotic viewpoints, and genuflect to the Queen. We are expected to mourn when one of these parasites die.

Well fuck that. Down with the monarchy!

I consider them an irrelevance to be honest.

34111[/snapback]

Naive I think . It's true that they have little political power, but they are still the living embodiment of the class system. A soceity not fundamentally based on freedom or merit, but class and privilege.

And then of course they are always there in the media. We are expected to respect Charle's idiotic viewpoints, and genuflect to the Queen. We are expected to mourn when one of these parasites die.

Well fuck that. Down with the monarchy!

34174[/snapback]

Thanks, your view is in no way cliched of course :lol: