Fat Sam Defends the Indefensible

ewerk

I know what I'm doing, says beleaguered Allardyce

Louise Taylor

Saturday December 1, 2007

The Guardian

Sam Allardyce has defended his style of play at Newcastle United. His troubled side have been accused of using negative, spoiling tactics but the manager insists he is taking the right approach.

"Resilience is the order, being determined to not let the opposition do what they want to do and to stop them," Allardyce said. "We're in the business of results, so you've got to stop the opposition. From that position you can then expose your own strength and try and expose their weaknesses. Newcastle have been trying to impose themselves on the opposition for far too long and not winning away from home."

After a run of four matches without a win Allardyce is clearly struggling to get that message through to his players, some of whom are reputed to be less than enamoured by his approach, but the former Bolton Wanderers manager does not believe he needs to raise his own game.

"No, I don't," he said. "I know what's good, I know what's bad, I know what it takes to win. I know what to do and I've been doing it for 17 years."

Allardyce has received some vitriolic criticism since last Saturday's defeat by Liverpool but he believes his detractors lack a sense of perspective. "We've gone four games without a win, not 10," he said. "At the end of the day we're still 11th."

Where Newcastle are after today's trip to Blackburn Rovers and next week's home games against Arsenal and Birmingham could determine their manager's future.

Now I don't know whather this is just a case of that mackem loving slut picking on a specific quotes but it's very worrying imo that:

a. He doesn't seem to recognise that the 'system' he is trying to implement isn't working.

b. He's trying to drill into the team a small club mentality where we play for a draw, ala Derby and Reading. With the players we have we should be trying to develop our own effective style of play rather than stopping other teams playing which is the trademark of clubs who are going to finish in the bottom third of the table.

As Malcolm MacDonald said last week, if he underestimates the fans he's making a serious mistake, and he is doing precisely that.

Unfortunately, if results don't improve, and he carries on like this, he'll be gone.

As Malcolm MacDonald said last week, if he underestimates the fans he's making a serious mistake, and he is doing precisely that.

Unfortunately, if results don't improve, and he carries on like this, he'll be gone.

Aye. I think he's trying to play systems and tactics he hasn't got the players for. If he persists he'll be gone because we'll keep getting beat without some drastic improvement.

We're in the business of results, so you've got to stop the opposition. From that position you can then expose your own strength and try and expose their weaknesses.

That I more or less agree with - although it's hard to say we're presently doing either.

Newcastle have been trying to impose themselves on the opposition for far too long and not winning away from home.

That's just rubbish though, style of play hasn't been the reason we've fell to bits since Robson, in fact the times we have played matches more like that we've probably done better.

Fair enough it would be mad to try that on Man U at the moment (with our current team anyway), but some other teams? That's exactly what other clubs have done and got cricket scores.

Some of you seem to have got off on the wrong foot with me. You didn't like some of the instructions I gave earlier. You've got to chill out, yeah, trust me, this is what I do, alright? You will never work in a place like this again. This is brilliant. Fact. And you will never have another boss like me. Someone who's basically football scientist.

David_Brent_111.jpg

I'm really starting to hate the fat, arrogant wanker tbh

Fuck off and support Sunderland then you cunt.

you're too late for comments like that, you should have said it to all those who hated Shepherd all those years to fuck off and support the team ran by Bob Murray instead. Wonder why you didn't ?

Guest James_coDurham

you're too late for comments like that, you should have said it to all those who hated Shepherd all those years to fuck off and support the team ran by Bob Murray instead. Wonder why you didn't ?

Because Shepherd proved his incompetence for over a decade. If you're suggesting our best start to a season in years followed by poor form cancels out Allardyce's proven track record for over a decade, then you're clearly a stupid thick cunt. But then. we already knew that.

Because Shepherd proved his incompetence for over a decade. If you're suggesting our best start to a season in years followed by poor form cancels out Allardyce's proven track record for over a decade, then you're clearly a stupid thick cunt. But then. we already knew that.

I'm pleased you think that qualifying for europe more than every club but 4, playing in the Champs League, finishing in the 3 highest consecutive top league positions for 50 years, and backing his managers to bring some far superior players to the club than we have seen in the last few months, to be incompetent.

Or rather, on 2nd thoughts, if you can't see this, I feel sorry for you.

Your reply doesn't answer what I asked you either. Why didnt' you encourage people to support the mackems when they said they hated Shepherd ? Same criteria. If you can't see that either, then YOU are a thick cunt, James.

People like you make me laugh. You wouldn't last 5 minutes if you suffered the absolute mediocrity and incompetence that ran this club for decades pre-1992.

What a tosser.

Edited by LeazesMag

I'm pleased you think that qualifying for europe more than every club but 4, playing in the Champs League, finishing in the 3 highest consecutive top league positions for 50 years, and backing his managers to bring some far superior players to the club than we have seen in the last few months, to be incompetent.

Yay!!!! Leazes is back!

Welcome back mate you've been missed :birthday:

Your reply doesn't answer what I asked you either. Why didnt' you encourage people to support the mackems when they said they hated Shepherd ? Same criteria. If you can't see that either, then YOU are a thick cunt, James.

People like you make me laugh. You wouldn't last 5 minutes if you suffered the absolute mediocrity and incompetence that ran this club for decades pre-1992.

What a tosser.

QFT (DSNR)

Yay!!!! Leazes is back!

Welcome back mate you've been missed :birthday:

What a tosser.

QFT (DSNR)

Seriously though PP, how can this be ignored ?

Nobody's saying we are happy with coming close and being frustrated so often with it all, but its still plain facts. Overall we had a good last 10-15 years under the Halls and Shepherd [deliberately seperating the Keegan era as that in itself was something that will sadly probably never happen again], but its been good. I hope we can go one better under Ashley and Mort and win a trophy or two on the back of good, consistent league placings, but what I say is the truth, it may not go down well with some, but it is.

Its very sad that people either don't understand this, or don't want to, simply because of a few daft remarks in a brothel, from which they never really recovered their self respect with some people, although everybody who was up in arms about it were quick enough to take their FA Cup Final tickets and go to the Champions League games. And nobody forced them to carry on renewing season tickets either.

If Alan Shearer isn't bothered by being called "Mary Poppins", as captain of the club, wtf should anyone else be bothered by things like this.

Leazes - is it or is it not true that shepherd had us in dire straits financially prior to the takeover?

Remember the position the club were in when they took over though ? Are you also aware that very few clubs aren't in debt, and remember that the major part of our debt was due to the expansion of the stadium, which financial people say was very well financially structured ? Or do you think we should still be playing in a 36,000 ground ?

In 1992 the club were nearer going bust than they will ever be, and that was as a result of decades of selling our best players and having no ambition. So which would you prefer ?

What will you say if we run the club with balanced books and see all the top players going to the other top clubs ?

If thats what you want, then this season, and the quality of players we brought to the club in the summer, isn't a blip. Its about to become the norm. Personally, I don't want that.

Edited by LeazesMag

Yay!!!! Leazes is back!

Welcome back mate you've been missed B)

What a tosser.

QFT (DSNR)

Nobody's saying we are happy with coming close and being frustrated so often with it all, but its still plain facts. Overall we had a good last 10-15 years under the Halls and Shepherd [deliberately seperating the Keegan era as that in itself was something that will sadly probably never happen again], but its been good. I hope we can go one better under Ashley and Mort and win a trophy or two on the back of good, consistent league placings, but what I say is the truth, it may not go down well with some, but it is.

Its very sad that people either don't understand this, or don't want to, simply because of a few daft remarks in a brothel, from which they never really recovered their self respect with some people, although everybody who was up in arms about it were quick enough to take their FA Cup Final tickets and go to the Champions League games. And nobody forced them to carry on renewing season tickets either.

If Alan Shearer isn't bothered by being called "Mary Poppins", as captain of the club, wtf should anyone else be bothered by things like this.

I totally agree with the last bit, always disagreed with you on the first one about 5th best in the country and all that but as for picking us now over 20 years ago and I'll stick with how things are now thank you very much.

For the record (as Im not sure how you read it) the QFT (DSNR) was in agreement with you "Quoted For Truth (Double Squinchies Nae Returnies :birthday:)

I totally agree with the last bit, always disagreed with you on the first one about 5th best in the country and all that but as for picking us now over 20 years ago and I'll stick with how things are now thank you very much.

For the record (as Im not sure how you read it) the QFT (DSNR) was in agreement with you "Quoted For Truth (Double Squinchies Nae Returnies :birthday:)

is that what DSNR means ? Thought you were pissed actually B)

Not even a page in and it's an argument about the old board :birthday:

It's not much of an argument is it ?

Who could possibly argue against the fact that shepherd had a £38 million surplus when he became chairman yet left almost £100 million debt and had spent all of the money from Northern Rock and Adidas prior to the takeover ? Shit, it should be said that £44 million was spent on ground re-development.

Who could argue against the fact that Shepherd sacked Bobby Robson and replaced him with Souness because he thought Robson was going to take us down and Souness would take us to another level ?

No, it's hardly an argument, more like Desperate Housewives than anything.

B)

Not even a page in and it's an argument about the old board :birthday:

It's not much of an argument is it ?

Who could possibly argue against the fact that shepherd had a £38 million surplus when he became chairman yet left almost £100 million debt and had spent all of the money from Northern Rock and Adidas prior to the takeover ? Shit, it should be said that £44 million was spent on ground re-development.

Who could argue against the fact that Shepherd sacked Bobby Robson and replaced him with Souness because he thought Robson was going to take us down and Souness would take us to another level ?

No, it's hardly an argument, more like Desperate Housewives than anything.

B)

Shepherd did all this on his own ? You mean the majority shareholders said to him "just go ahead and make all the major decisions Freddie lad, put our fortune at stake and we'll see you on the golf course later."

Wey aye. Of course.

Your comment that I've highlighted shows what little you know - never mind understand - because it was Dogless Hall who came out in the press and said that. Which sort of backs up my first sentence.

Don't let the obvious truth change your opinion though :rolleyes:

Sorry mate, but you seem to be just another person who when you are told about the position the club was in prior to the Halls and Shepherd taking over, falls on deaf ears.

Edited by LeazesMag