Babayaro leaves Newcastle United

Jimbo

He had a lot of respect for me for playing against Liverpool that day.

Shite though, and we're better off without.

Given how much money he's had and how little we've really got back, not so much respect.

Wasn't it Souness who made a big deal out of that anyway? As if to prove the character of the player he'd signed.

Nah, it was Roeder.

It was Roeder who said it. I did feel for the lad though, and he put in a decent performance that day, helped us to 3 points and was in tears after the game. I certainly didn't think he was a legend after that, but with all the "mercenary" stuff that had been said about him, I thought it was good to see him out there.

It saddens me as to why we couldn't do this with the likes of Luque, clearly an unwanted player taking far too much wedge but inlikely ever to play. Contrast the likely response to Roeder asking Fat Fred for Luque to be binned, and the cooperation Sam would have got asking Mort for this?

It saddens me as to why we couldn't do this with the likes of Luque, clearly an unwanted player taking far too much wedge but inlikely ever to play. Contrast the likely response to Roeder asking Fat Fred for Luque to be binned, and the cooperation Sam would have got asking Mort for this?

Tbf Luque was likely on much higher wages and had more time left on his contract so would've been far more expensive to get rid off.