Moncur speaks...

ohhh_yeah

Quantity counts, not quality, says Moncur

Dec 11 2007 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE UNITED legend Bob Moncur says that style of football will always come second place to picking up victories at St James’s Park.

The 1969 Fairs Cup-winning captain acknowledged the hunger for attractive soccer from the Toon terraces.

But with United picking up their first win since October 22 at the weekend, Moncur was ecstatic that Newcastle look to have turned a corner – and hopes Sam Allardyce’s side can build on the victory against Birmingham when they head to Fulham.

Newcastle are still in the bottom half of the table but, with games against the Cottagers, doomed Derby County and struggling Wigan to come, he firmly believes that Big Sam’s troops can still make it a festive period to remember.

Captain Bob feels that now is the time to get behind Allardyce after the Toon boss survived a sticky patch in recent weeks.

He told the Chronicle in an open and honest interview: “The Birmingham game was, for me, a better performance and despite the weather a lot more fluent than it looked.

“We had 17 pops at goal during the game, had six corners and have picked up the three points, and I defy anybody who says they’d rather see a pretty passing game ahead of winning matches.

“If you take Newcastle United out of the equation even the best teams have to scrap and win their points ugly at times.

“I include Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal in that, even the best teams abroad know that some days you have to get on with the job and simply win by battling.

“At the moment it’s about quantity not quality, and if Sam is trying to pick up as many points as he can, we’ve got to get behind him and stick together as a club.”

And speaking on United’s upturn in fortunes after they went five games without a sniff of victory, Moncur added: “It looks a lot better now we’ve taken four points from six – a lot of people would have bitten your hand off if you’d offered them that a few weeks ago.

“There are some winnable games coming up and it won’t be easy, but the expectations are to pick up at least six points from the next three games.

“But things are much more upbeat now and we can head to Fulham with confidence.”

Moncur is now hoping that United can repay the loyal Toon Army ahead of their visit to Craven Cottage after a sparkling performance from the away section at Blackburn last time out.

He said: “The fans were magnificent at Ewood Park and they really did get behind the team.

“The players responded to that and, as always, I know they will do it again at Fulham.”

quoted from chronicle live

Quantity counts, not quality, says Moncur

Dec 11 2007 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE UNITED legend Bob Moncur says that style of football will always come second place to picking up victories at St James’s Park.

The 1969 Fairs Cup-winning captain acknowledged the hunger for attractive soccer from the Toon terraces.

But with United picking up their first win since October 22 at the weekend, Moncur was ecstatic that Newcastle look to have turned a corner – and hopes Sam Allardyce’s side can build on the victory against Birmingham when they head to Fulham.

Newcastle are still in the bottom half of the table but, with games against the Cottagers, doomed Derby County and struggling Wigan to come, he firmly believes that Big Sam’s troops can still make it a festive period to remember.

Captain Bob feels that now is the time to get behind Allardyce after the Toon boss survived a sticky patch in recent weeks.

He told the Chronicle in an open and honest interview: “The Birmingham game was, for me, a better performance and despite the weather a lot more fluent than it looked.

“We had 17 pops at goal during the game, had six corners and have picked up the three points, and I defy anybody who says they’d rather see a pretty passing game ahead of winning matches.

“If you take Newcastle United out of the equation even the best teams have to scrap and win their points ugly at times.

“I include Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal in that, even the best teams abroad know that some days you have to get on with the job and simply win by battling.

“At the moment it’s about quantity not quality, and if Sam is trying to pick up as many points as he can, we’ve got to get behind him and stick together as a club.”

And speaking on United’s upturn in fortunes after they went five games without a sniff of victory, Moncur added: “It looks a lot better now we’ve taken four points from six – a lot of people would have bitten your hand off if you’d offered them that a few weeks ago.

“There are some winnable games coming up and it won’t be easy, but the expectations are to pick up at least six points from the next three games.

“But things are much more upbeat now and we can head to Fulham with confidence.”

Moncur is now hoping that United can repay the loyal Toon Army ahead of their visit to Craven Cottage after a sparkling performance from the away section at Blackburn last time out.

He said: “The fans were magnificent at Ewood Park and they really did get behind the team.

“The players responded to that and, as always, I know they will do it again at Fulham.”

quoted from chronicle live

Speaking purely for myself BS has a lot to prove to me yet before i believe we are turning the corner. His team selections and tactics need to show a marked improvement. However I do have a theory. It is that Mort and Ashley can see that the club is being built up in the background and are happy for that to continue. I have a feeling come the end of the season they will punt BS and get someone else in whilst offering more to the background staff than wherever BS goes to. I may be wrong it has happened in the past but that is my theory.

"planning".

The guarenteed route to success. :unsure:

What else is there? Are you saying you just "hope" things go well?

right manager, who knows what he is doing, with good financial backing, is all you need. One of the 3 trophy winners that everybody wants.

When you appoint him, is irrelevant. As are 5 year plans etc etcblah blah. Complete bollocks, the right manager will have you on the road to success within 2 years and you will know it.

Speaking purely for myself BS has a lot to prove to me yet before i believe we are turning the corner. His team selections and tactics need to show a marked improvement. However I do have a theory. It is that Mort and Ashley can see that the club is being built up in the background and are happy for that to continue. I have a feeling come the end of the season they will punt BS and get someone else in whilst offering more to the background staff than wherever BS goes to. I may be wrong it has happened in the past but that is my theory.

Whether or not BS end up being the "right" one for the job, aye it's bound to take more than half a season to get the backroom into the 20th century never mind the 21st.

:unsure: Change the record man.

its sad that people still don't get it mind

You've been over it a few million times though. Regardless of the rights and wrongs you bring it up whether it's relevent or not. It's boring man.