So Hughes then?

Big TRon

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1040: Blackburn boss Mark Hughes is the new favourite to be next Newcastle manager after Harry Redknapp sensationally ruled himself out of the running.

Redknapp has opted to stay at Portsmouth after rejecting what was reported to be a a four-year deal worth £20 million to take over at St James'.

The 60-year-old had been the red-hot favourite to take over from Sam Allardyce and was backed down to as short as 1/8.

However, after considering the move, Redknapp arrived at Pompey's Eastleigh training on Saturday morning and told reporters he was staying with the club.

That prompted a dramatic shake-up in the betting and it's Hughes and Alan Shearer who the bookies now see as the front runners for the Magpies job.

Hughes, who appeared to distance himself from the position on Friday, is as short as 11/8 in places and no bigger than 3/1 with Ladbrokes.

And Shearer, who apparently declared on Friday night that he would take the post if approached by Newcastle, is a 7/2 chance with Blue Square and Sky Bet.

However the Magpies have stressed they are looking for an experienced manager which would appear to rule against Shearer - and it's interesting that there's now been plenty of money for Martin Jol and Steve Coppell.

Former Spurs boss Jol has been cut across the board and is single figures with most firms and no better than 10/1 with Ladbrokes.

And Reading chief Coppell has also leapt into the picture, with Ladbrokes as short as 14/1.

He's the new favourite and was touted as being Plan B. Any thoughts?

He won't come. :lol:

Can't say I'd be too bothered. Blackburn look a bit functional to me, but I think he will come. This is a fantastic job for a manager with an ounce of ambition and love for the game. Redknapp is an old fart and didn't need the upheaval.

He won't come. :panic:

This is a fantastic job for a manager with an ounce of ambition

:lol:

It's not like, it's a managerial graveyard on a bigger scale than England.

Dalglish

Gullit

Robson

Souness

Roeder

Allardyce

They all went with their stock lower than any other point in their career.

Dalglish

Gullit

Robson

Souness

Roeder

Allardyce

and they all came because they thought they were the one's who would get it right. Which manager doesn't?

Dalglish

Gullit

Robson

Souness

Roeder

Allardyce

and they all came because they thought they were the one's who would get it right. Which manager doesn't?

Rednapp obviously wasn't sure enough. And although in seriousness we may be able to tempt Hughes, maybe we won't too, for many of the reasons we couldn't Rednapp.

Seeing as he's the new favourite (for what it's worth) I'm going to hypocritically post this positive article from the wicked witch Louise Taylor to try and look for a good side

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/sto...2239113,00.html

Stylish, streetwise and steely, Hughes ticks a lot of boxes for Ashley

Louise Taylor

Friday January 11, 2008

The Guardian

In recent weeks Mike Ashley has frequently been urged to make a famous former centre-forward his new manager and Newcastle United's owner could do far worse than follow that advice. Alan Shearer may have been eliminated from the Geordie managerial equation on grounds of total inexperience but Mark Hughes, who has impressed during spells in charge of Wales and now Blackburn Rovers, has certainly not been ruled out.

Indeed as soon as the news of Sam Allardyce's sacking filtered through to east Lancashire, Blackburn braced themselves for a possible bid for the 44-year-old former Manchester United striker's services. By late yesterday afternoon none had arrived but a senior club source described the issue as "sensitive".

Article continues

Hughes is believed to have itchy feet, and paying Rovers compensation on a managerial contract due to expire at the end of next season will not worry the billionaire Ashley.

Moreover, Hughes ticks a lot of boxes when it comes to the qualities required in a Newcastle manager. First and foremost he believes in the passing game that Blackburn now play and he was schooled as a striker at not only Manchester United but Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Chelsea.

"My teams pass the ball, we don't play it long," Hughes insisted last season when one reporter appeared to have confused the hard-tackling, unrelentingly physical approach that he initially employed to rescue Blackburn from relegation with long-ball tactics. "Since I've been here, I've brought in technical rather than physical players, like David Bentley."

Ashley and his chairman, Chris Mort, should also be encouraged by Hughes' man-management abilities, which have seen the Blackburn manager transform Bentley from a flaky Arsenal reject to "the new David Beckham". Despite having a few difficulties this season with Benni McCarthy, his South Africa striker, the Welshman has generally succeeded in taming rebellious footballers, including Craig Bellamy and Robbie Savage, and might relish accepting the challenge presented by Joey Barton. A player who mixed sublime skill with some downright dirtiness, he is probably sufficiently steely and streetwise to cope with Newcastle's ego-filled dressing room.

Quiet, softly spoken and consistently smart but non-flashy, Hughes disguises his own ego well but is no soft touch. As one Blackburn player put it: "He rarely raises his voice but you don't want to get on the wrong side of him. He's got real presence."

If Hughes' dressing room stature is enhanced by his past as a leading striker and formidable opponent, it also helps that he is a fluent if succinct communicator with a dry humour - apparently it was he who was responsible for labelling Sir Alex Ferguson's Old Trafford rages as "the hairdryer treatment". In contrast, Allardyce's problems stemmed from a lack of articulacy during lengthy team meetings which bored his players.

Allardyce was big on sports science and so, in a lower-key way, is Hughes who has not been afraid to use psychological aids including neuro-linguistic programming to help players such as Morten Gamst Pedersen with his free-kicks.

Ashley and Mort will be more interested in his programming of teams but Gary Speed, the former Wales and Newcastle midfielder, has insisted: "Mark is the best tactician I've played under."

Meanwhile McCarthy has compared Hughes to his former Porto manager, Jose Mourinho. "Mark is quieter than Jose but they are both very strong managers," he said. "Mark can see the game on a top player's wavelength, he uses the knowledge he gained from being a top striker very well. I think he has a great future."

The signs are that a man tipped to one day manage either Manchester United or Chelsea might be becoming weary of Ewood Park as he recently admitted: "You hope your formula would work at the top level."

From the BBC PL update thingy.

1549: Here's Mark Hughes, asked in the tunnel at Bolton about the chances of him heading off to Newcastle in the aftermath of Harry's no-no: "There's a lot of speculation, but I don't want to be talking about something that's got nothing to do with me."

Cagey. Very cagey.

I agree with Happy Face, this is a managerial graveyard. Hughes ambition is to replace Fergie at Old Trafford would have thought, so he'd be taking a big career gamble coming here as there is a fair chance it could end in tears. And if he did do well he'd be off as soon as the puce-faced porridge gobbler got his slippers on.

From the BBC PL update thingy.

1549: Here's Mark Hughes, asked in the tunnel at Bolton about the chances of him heading off to Newcastle in the aftermath of Harry's no-no: "There's a lot of speculation, but I don't want to be talking about something that's got nothing to do with me."

Cagey. Very cagey.

"Theres always speculation, its been going on for sometime but my focus (slight pause) today is to get a result for Blackburn Rovers"

He won't come. ;)

Dalglish

Gullit

Robson

Souness

Roeder

Allardyce

Don't think Robson did.

I agree with Happy Face, this is a managerial graveyard. Hughes ambition is to replace Fergie at Old Trafford would have thought, so he'd be taking a big career gamble coming here as there is a fair chance it could end in tears. And if he did do well he'd be off as soon as the puce-faced porridge gobbler got his slippers on.

Don't want Hughes, want Shearer

Far to risky for the trouble we are in,Shearer could get us relegated ffs,Get Hughes in and Shearer as his assistant.

Shearer needs to learn first then he can have a go but until then please stay talking trash on motd.

Just watching SSN, they did a summary of tomorrows backpages and all bar one has Hughes for the Toon job as the main story.

One of the Sky team were suggesting that Shearer was playing golf with Fat Fred while all this speculation is going on. If that's true, it probably hasn't helped Shearer's cause.

Very non-committal in his post match interview. There is definitely something in it.

He mentioned speculation in general and never once referred to Newcastle United. IMO he was too focused on BRFC and what he wants from the season. If there was something in it, that snippet about NUFC would have developed more than it did.

Don't think Hughes is that media-savvy to completely hood-wink them.

Very non-committal in his post match interview. There is definitely something in it.

He mentioned speculation in general and never once referred to Newcastle United. IMO he was too focused on BRFC and what he wants from the season. If there was something in it, that snippet about NUFC would have developed more than it did.

Don't think Hughes is that media-savvy to completely hood-wink them.

He was plenty committed to Blackburn when he thought Redknapp had got the job ahead of him a few days ago. didn't sound quite so vocal about his great relations at Blackburn today did he?