So Hughes then?

Big TRon

Very non-committal in his post match interview. There is definitely something in it.

He mentioned speculation in general and never once referred to Newcastle United. IMO he was too focused on BRFC and what he wants from the season. If there was something in it, that snippet about NUFC would have developed more than it did.

Don't think Hughes is that media-savvy to completely hood-wink them.

He was plenty committed to Blackburn when he thought Redknapp had got the job ahead of him a few days ago. didn't sound quite so vocal about his great relations at Blackburn today did he?

I thought he talked quite openly about his vision for the season with Blackburn particularly on qualifying for Europe again.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would rather have had Mark Hughes than "arry Redknapp from the very beginning.

Ashley offered £5m a year to 'arry ffs. What's going on there?

"You don't know what you're doing...you don't know what you're doing..."

etc...

etc...

Why what does he bring which is so good?

He's built up a well balanced squad at Blackburn on a budget smaller than ours and has probably taken them as far as he possibly can with it. He likes to play the conventional 4-4-2 system. He is young with plenty to prove. He has not been involved in any bungles. He knows the transfer system, he has been praised by good players on his tactics, and he's better than anyone else we could possibly get especially now that other managers know Ashley offered £5m a year to a washed up 60 year old.

etc...

He's built up a well balanced squad at Blackburn on a budget smaller than ours and has probably taken them as far as he possibly can with it. He likes to play the conventional 4-4-2 system. He is young with plenty to prove. He has not been involved in any bungles. He knows the transfer system, he has been praised by good players on his tactics, and he's better than anyone else we could possibly get especially now that other managers know Ashley offered £5m a year to a washed up 60 year old.

Does he not have a kick them attitude just like Sam?

IF and its a big IF Sparky does come as gaffer will he bring his backroom staff, they are currently:-

Assistant..........Mark Bowen

First team.........Eddie Niedzwiecki

Goalkeeper.......Kevin Hitchcock

and a couple of scouts, youth coach and reserve coach

to replace:-

Caretaker Manager Nigel Pearson

Reserve Team Coach Adam Sadler

First Team Coach Terry McDermott

First Team Coach Nigel Pearson

First Team Coach Steve Round

Goalkeeping Coach Paul Barron

Academy Manager Joe Joyce

Academy Coach Kenny Wharton

Academy Coach Steve Tweddle

Academy Fitness Coach TBA

Academy GK Coach TBA

Academy Physiotherapist Kev Bell

Head of Sports Science (tbc) Mark Taylor

Physiotherapist Derek Wright

Fitness Coach Adrian Lamb

Fitness Coach Craig Russell

European Scout (Chief) Paul Montgomery

European Scout (Bulgaria) Vic Halom

European Scout (Spain) Chris McMenemy

UK Scout Bobby Saxton

UK Scout Jack Chapman

etc...

Does he not have a kick them attitude just like Sam?

Let's look at our options now. Hughes, Bruce, Jol, McClaren or Houllier.

Shit, give me Hughes any day of the week. He likes his teams to play on the deck, and he likes his teams to have a bit of steal about them. For all his deficiencies he has the least compared to the others I've mentioned.

IF and its a big IF Sparky does come as gaffer will he bring his backroom staff, they are currently:-

Assistant..........Mark Bowen

First team.........Eddie Niedzwiecki

Goalkeeper.......Kevin Hitchcock

and a couple of scouts, youth coach and reserve coach

to replace:-

Caretaker Manager Nigel Pearson

Reserve Team Coach Adam Sadler

First Team Coach Terry McDermott

First Team Coach Nigel Pearson

First Team Coach Steve Round

Goalkeeping Coach Paul Barron

Academy Manager Joe Joyce

Academy Coach Kenny Wharton

Academy Coach Steve Tweddle

Academy Fitness Coach TBA

Academy GK Coach TBA

Academy Physiotherapist Kev Bell

Head of Sports Science (tbc) Mark Taylor

Physiotherapist Derek Wright

Fitness Coach Adrian Lamb

Fitness Coach Craig Russell

European Scout (Chief) Paul Montgomery

European Scout (Bulgaria) Vic Halom

European Scout (Spain) Chris McMenemy

UK Scout Bobby Saxton IS this the ex rovers manager?

UK Scout Jack Chapman

From a Rovers fans perspective:

I was at Bolton yesterday and I honestly think I have just seen MH's last game in charge before he joins you guys.

I am not sure that the job is a 'poisoned chalice' - I think you need someone strong and disciplined in charge - and I think that Mark Hughes is both of those plus he has big ambitions.

Unlike when you kindly took Souness off our hands, Mark Hughes will be a massive loss for us, and someone that will be difficult to replace. To make matters worse, theres a good chance that Mark Bowen will follow.

Lasting memory of MH - bringing together a team that plays with fantastic spirit and determination. Every player gives 100%, even when its not going well for them.

The only thing that shits me up is who we would get as a replacement.

Good luck for the rest of the season (apart from the 1st March!) If you get Hughesy I expect to see you in the top 5 next season - perhaps even above us :lol:

Edited by bluepeter

the torygraph reckon we're looking we're looking at foreign coaches too so i'm not giving up all hope just yet. no offence to sparky - he's done decent jobs at rovers and wales - but i think a top foreign coach is the way to go.

and if we can't get one of them i'd rather gamble on shearer than go for another bog-standard british coach.

I love how the Guardian says that Hughes is now Ashley's no. 1 choice, but that "in addition to Hughes, senior Newcastle United sources last night said that the CVs of several candidates are being scrutinised, including those of Gérard Houllier, Jose Mourinho and Steve McClaren."

How can they possibly "scrutinise" several candidates' CVs when one of them is Mourinho? It's hard to argue with his CV... (EDIT: not that he'd come obviously! But imagine Mort going through CVs and comparing McClaren's to Mourinho's...)

As for Hughes, I'd be much happier with him than with Redknapp. At least his career is very much on the up, unlike that old fart Redknapp's.

Edited by Bombadil

Interesting to hear your point of view. Do you reckon he'll bring Bentley with him? :lol:

Bloody 'ell Alex, I hope not. He is immense.

However he could take Benni, Samba (God knows, you need him!) & Santa - which would be a disaster.

God luck - if you do get Highes it will be a new beginning for your club - just dont expect miracles. he will use yhis season to straighten you out and then go out all guns blazing next season.

I will put a bet on you to win a trophy next season - he has a great record in the cup with us.

From a Rovers fans perspective:

I was at Bolton yesterday and I honestly think I have just seen MH's last game in charge before he joins you guys.

I am not sure that the job is a 'poisoned chalice' - I think you need someone strong and disciplined in charge - and I think that Mark Hughes is both of those plus he has big ambitions.

Unlike when you kindly took Souness off our hands, Mark Hughes will be a massive loss for us, and someone that will be difficult to replace. To make matters worse, theres a good chance that Mark Bowen will follow.

Lasting memory of MH - bringing together a team that plays with fantastic spirit and determination. Every player gives 100%, even when its not going well for them.

The only thing that shits me up is who we would get as a replacement.

Good luck for the rest of the season (apart from the 1st March!) If you get Hughesy I expect to see you in the top 5 next season - perhaps even above us :lol:

Nice to hear generous words from another club's fan, especially in this situation. Every time I see others gloating how we deserve everything we get from pundits to fans up and down the country, it really winds me up.

I love how the Guardian says that Hughes is now Ashley's no. 1 choice, but that "in addition to Hughes, senior Newcastle United sources last night said that the CVs of several candidates are being scrutinised, including those of Gérard Houllier, Jose Mourinho and Steve McClaren."

How can they possibly "scrutinise" several candidates' CVs when one of them is Mourinho? It's hard to argue with his CV... (EDIT: not that he'd come obviously! But imagine Mort going through CVs and comparing McClaren's to Mourinho's...)

As for Hughes, I'd be much happier with him than with Redknapp. At least his career is very much on the up, unlike that old fart Redknapp's.

Oh god...... "hmm this here McClaren's been England manager...... but this foreigner Mourinho has never managed a national team and this Houllier is french.... McClaren's clearly the one we need!"

I think Hughes would be a decent replacement and a test of his managerial qualities. He did well with what he had with Wales and has revived Blackburn from the Souness days. Back then, nobody would have seen Blackburn back in Europe but he's worked wonders to get them to the position that they are in at the moment.

I think Hughes would be a decent replacement and a test of his managerial qualities. He did well with what he had with Wales and has revived Blackburn from the Souness days. Back then, nobody would have seen Blackburn back in Europe but he's worked wonders to get them to the position that they are in at the moment.

That's the same as Allardyce though, effectively giving someone a chance to prove themselves, when I think others want a proven winner.

That's the same as Allardyce though, effectively giving someone a chance to prove themselves, when I think others want a proven winner.

The difference is that with Hughes you would go some way to seeing the expressive flowing football that is great to watch. At Bolton yesterday we were like the home team, full of confidence and determination.

Under Allardyce you were just turning into another Bolton - long ball up to the front - this was borne out at your game at Fulham. Allardyce was and is a chronic manager - Hughes has style passion and desire.

the one thing he has a lot less of than Allardyce is EGO.

Good luck with whoever you get.

I can see the similarities in profile with Hughes/Allardyce but their style of play couldnt be more different. Blackburn have had to scrap out some games, but they have natural pace & width which is something we havent really seen since Souness dismantled Robsons team.

I quite like Hughes. Which is strange seeing as he was an absolute cunt as a player. Oh well.

Agreed, I couldn't stand him as a player.