Attacking Style

ohhh_yeah

Attacking style would suit Newcastle fans

By Don Howe, former England coach

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand why Newcastle are interested in Blackburn Rovers manager Mark Hughes as they try to fill the vacancy created by what I thought was the hasty sacking of Sam Allardyce.

His CV shows he would fit the bill at St James' Park because since taking charge in September 2004 he has created a blueprint for success at Ewood Park that would help Newcastle out of their present mess.

When he took the helm, Rovers were bottom of the Premier League but he turned things around by making sure that, above all, his new team were hard to beat. It might not have been pretty and his team's robust approach managed to get plenty of people's backs up but ultimately it was effective in the days when he bought rough diamonds instead of the gems that he went on to recruit when his club's top-flight status was consolidated.

The fact one of his first acquisitions was Robbie Savage says it all and he was followed by the unheralded but uncompromising Aaron Mokoena and Ryan Nelsen whose arrival showed that Hughes was determined to ensure his side were no soft touch and that he had good contacts in the transfer market.

That's something Newcastle could do with right now because they desperately need defensive reinforcements. They also need a creative midfielder but quality players are hard to come by at the best of times.

I have been impressed with the way Rovers have evolved under the former Wales manager. After turning the corner, he ensured top-flight safety and his team reached the FA Cup semi-finals. After that difficult first season, his tactics became more adventurous although his team retained an edge and certain spikiness.

The former United striker has shown that he values the art of passing and movement and like anyone who is brought up at Old Trafford he likes to have the ball played on the ground.

He invariably plays with two orthodox wingers, David Bentley and Morten Gamst Pedersen, who deliver for strikers Benni McCarthy and Roque Santa Cruz. It's an exciting mix, perfect for great counter-attacking.

His midfield is nicely balanced with a creative player such as Tugay or David Dunn usually alongside a holding player. He plays an attractive brand of attacking football that would go down well with fans at Newcastle.

They desperately want beautiful football but I just hope their next manager is given plenty of time to blossom.

attacking football??? yes please...

Hughes isnt the answer. Bolton played attacking football under Sam Allardyce and were actuallypretty good. Yeah Hughes has a "big club" mentality but this is a step sideways if you ask me. Still, its better than the Harry Redknapp rumour...

Can't really say I think Blackburn play great passing football. They look a bit functional to me, but that might be because they are budget players. Maybe Hughes could produce a more attractive team with better funds. We thought that about Allardyce as well mind.

The big plus for Hughes as far as I am concerned is his age. Shearer excepted everbody else touted can hardly be described as young hungry and up and coming, Hughes is 44, had Wales (WALES!!) overacheiving and does seem to have made steady progress with Blackburn.

Houlier, Van Gaal and the rest of the usual suspects all seem like a jaded option to me. For Hughes its a step up he seems to want to take, and his career does appear to be on an upward trajectory.

Added to the fact(well it was in the paper)that he and Ashley already have a good existing relationship (Some Ashley advertising/sponsoring invlving Hughes cant really remember) and that he does seem to know what he is doing, quietly building a pogressive coherent committed team....... I seem to have talked myself into it

Sparky - come on down

Add to that his transfer record is decent if safe, and he does have some authority about him. He's probably my choice for the job from the bunch mentioned so far. Liverpool fans seem to think Houllier went downhill fast following his illness.

Add to that his transfer record is decent if safe, and he does have some authority about him. He's probably my choice for the job from the bunch mentioned so far. Liverpool fans seem to think Houllier went downhill fast following his illness.

Had a second wind at Lyon then.

Isnt he just about to sign Amdy Faye??? ;)