Gerrard named captain

bawan

England manager Fabio Capello has named Steven Gerrard as captain for the friendly with Switzerland on Wednesday.

Gerrard will lead England out at Wembley in his 64th cap after Capello opted to name the Liverpool midfielder his first captain since taking charge.

Rio Ferdinand and Michael Owen were also thought to have been candidates to be handed the armband, but Capello has decided to name Gerrard as skipper.

John Terry, who was skipper during Steve McClaren's tenure, is unavailable to face Switzerland due to injury.

"I have just informed my team before coming to see you that tomorrow's captain against Switzerland will be Steven Gerrard," said Capello.

"I have done it because I think he is an important player for England, according to my plans. He will be captain for this match."

Shocking decision.

Bottled it big style when he was last captain against Russia, when we needed him most he just went hiding.

who else should have got it though? ferdinand? owen? rooney? i don't think any of the other senior players have a better claim to it than gerrard tbh.

Right man has been given it IMO...

The only viable alternative seemed to be Ferdinand and that would have been an unmitigated disaster.

Interesting view that, Craig.

Ferdinand has always really impressed me when I've seen him captain both Man Utd and Leeds. He seems to raise his game with the armband on as well as organising the team well.

Complete tw@t of a bloke but a good captain IMO.

Right man has been given it IMO...

The only viable alternative seemed to be Ferdinand and that would have been an unmitigated disaster.

Interesting view that, Craig.

Ferdinand has always really impressed me when I've seen him captain both Man Utd and Leeds. He seems to raise his game with the armband on as well as organising the team well.

Complete tw@t of a bloke but a good captain IMO.

If that gang rape organiser leads out the national team I'll emigrate quite frankly.