Summer Fun!

Park Life

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bentley's a good player but has he got much pace? I think we could do with a real injection of pace into the team as there's only really Martins and N'Zogbia who have any at all.

He's very skillful though. This is one player imo where Wenger missed the boat. Pace probably was the issue.

Bentley's a good player but has he got much pace? I think we could do with a real injection of pace into the team as there's only really Martins and N'Zogbia who have any at all.

He's very skillful though. This is one player imo where Wenger missed the boat. Pace probably was the issue.

I agree but I really think we need to look towards pace in the team in the summer.

Guest Patrokles

If Milner works on his crossing, he's every bit as good as Bentley.

Can't agree with you there like. I think Bentley's different class.

Guest Patrokles

IMO, with the exception of pace* and crossing ability, Milner has a lot going for him. The major difference between him and Bentley is delivery, from open play and set-pieces. If Milner nails that, we'd all love him. His work ethic is second to none, too.

*I also don't think he's all that slow.

Edited by Patrokles

I said previously that I think Milner would have to end up playing in more of a central role long-term if he's going to make it as a good Premier League player because I think his lack of pace in particular makes it difficult for him to be effective in a wide left or right position. Apparently he played very well there for the U21's last night too. I don't think he'll ever sort out his delivery in terms of it being as good as Bentley's either, mainly because he doesn't seem to be able to whip balls in with pace on them from wide positions and / or set-pieces. I've got a lot of time for him because of his workrate and attitude though.

IMO, with the exception of pace* and crossing ability, Milner has a lot going for him. The major difference between him and Bentley is delivery, from open play and set-pieces. If Milner nails that, we'd all love him. His work ethic is second to none, too.

This is where you come back with the old 'apart from' (which develops into a long list) post....Eh? :lol:

IN: Scott Carson (Liverpool - £6m), Darijo Srna (Shakhtar Donetsk - £4m), Daniel Van Buyten (Bayern Munich - £3m), Arthur Boka (Stuttgart - £5m), David Bentley (Blackburn - £12m), Michael Carrick (Man United - £12m), Forward 1 (£9m), Forward 2 (£14m)

First XI

GK: Scott Carson

DR: Darijo Srna

DC: Habib Beye

DC: Daniel Van Buyten

DL: Arthur Boka

MR: David Bentley

MC: Michael Carrick

MC: Abdoulaye Faye

ML: Charles N'Zogbia

FW1: Asamoah Gyan (Udinese - £9m)/ Nicklas Bendtner (Arsenal - £9m)/ Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool - £9m)/ Danny Koevermans (PSV - £9m)

FW2: Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Ajax Amsterdam - £12-14m) / Diego Milito (Real Zaragoza - £12-14m)

+ Squad:

GK: Krul, Harper

DC: Cacapa, Taylor, Edgar

DL: Enrique

MR/ML: Milner, Duff

MC: Emre, Barton, Lua-Lua, Butt

FW: Viduka, Carroll

OUT: Martins - £10-12m, Owen - £6-8m, Smith - £4m, Geremi - £2m, Given - £6-8m, Rozehnal - £2m, Ameobi - £2-3m

Total (transfers in (£60-65m) - transfers out (£35-40m)): £25-30m

:P

Edited by janu

IN: Scott Carson (Liverpool - £6m), Darijo Srna (Shakhtar Donetsk - £4m), Daniel Van Buyten (Bayern Munich - £3m), Arthur Boka (Stuttgart - £5m), David Bentley (Blackburn - £12m), Michael Carrick (Man United - £12m), Forward 1 (£9m), Forward 2 (£14m)

First XI

ML: Charles N’Zogbia

FW1: Asamoah Gyan (Udinese - £9m)/ Nicklas Bendtner (Arsenal - £9m)/ Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool - £9m)/ Danny Koevermans (PSV - £9m)

FW2: Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Ajax Amsterdam - £12-14m) / Diego Milito (Real Zaragoza - £12-14m)

+ Squad:

OUT: Martins - £10-12m, Owen - £6-8m, Smith - £4m, Geremi - £2m, Given - £6-8m, Rozehnal - £2m, Ameobi - £2-3m

Geremi £2m??? :D

:P Aye and Shola has got a lot going for him apart from a first touch and the ability to score goals, apart from that he's a world class striker. Pace and crossing ability are the two most important attributes a winger can have, Milner is lacking in both departments.

First XI

+ Squad:

Apparently he is doing ok at the ANC

Geremi goal v Tunesia

Edited by janu

:P Aye and Shola has got a lot going for him apart from a first touch and the ability to score goals, apart from that he's a world class striker. Pace and crossing ability are the two most important attributes a winger can have, Milner is lacking in both departments.

No, but apart from that. :D

Guest Patrokles

Actually, I think you'll find pace isn't one of the most important attributes a winger can have. Look at Martins. The ability to beat a man, which Milner has, is what's important, and pace helps with that. Milner has enough skill and a good enough change of pace to do that. He's constantly improving, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll get crossing sorted out. You'll also note that I acknowledged his lack currently of his delivery. What you said about Shola is also true. So where's the problem?

Actually, I think you'll find pace isn't one of the most important attributes a winger can have. Look at Martins. The ability to beat a man, which Milner has, is what's important, and pace helps with that. Milner has enough skill and a good enough change of pace to do that. He's constantly improving, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll get crossing sorted out. You'll also note that I acknowledged his lack currently of his delivery. What you said about Shola is also true. So where's the problem?

I disagree, pace is very important to being a top winger. What you say about Milner having skill and the ability to meet a man is very true but once he does that he often just doesn't have the pace to get away from them and create the space to put in a decent cross which is why he'll sometimes have to beat a man two or three times but saying that he is decent at what he does and makes the most of the attributes that he possesses.

I'm not trying to says he's rubbish, just saying what I think are his weaknesses, for me he's the first choice right winger at the club which is a position I'd like to see us address in the summer to give Milner some competition as he's the only real option there at the minute.

First XI

+ Squad:

Geremi goal v Tunesia

Doing really well for Cameroon. His set pieces have been surprisingly good throughout the whole tournament.

As for players: For centre half I would like us to go for Mertesacker. Imbo (the b stands for biased before anyone is asking) the probably most underrated centre half in Europe at the moment. Tall, good reading of the game and always tries do build up the game from the back.

First XI

+ Squad:

Geremi goal v Tunesia

Doing really well for Cameroon. His set pieces have been surprisingly good throughout the whole tournament.

As for players: For centre half I would like us to go for Mertesacker. Imbo (the b stands for biased before anyone is asking) the probably most underrated centre half in Europe at the moment. Tall, good reading of the game and always tries do build up the game from the back.

I think we had this talk last year Isegrim.

Yes rate him. :D

Edited by Park Life

In:

David Bentley RW - £15mil

Jason Culina DM - Free

Marco Bresciano AM - £8mil

Shaun Wright Phillips RW/AM- £18mil

Nicky Shorey LB - £6mil

Jan Klaus Huntelaar ST - £15mil

Wes Brown CB/RB - Free

Fred ST - £12mil

Total Expenditure: £74mil

Out...

Ameobi - £250K

Carr - Free

Milner - £3mil

Rozenhal - £3mil

Butt - £1mil

Geremi - £2mil

Smith - £4mil

Emre - £4mil

Total Income: £17.25mil

Grand Total:£56.75mil

Gunning for the top 4!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Twice in this thread people have valued Shola at 2m!

We know it's all about fantasy signings but seriously :P

I reckon he is. He'd get 15+ goals in the Championship easily imo.

But he's shit, Alex! :D

You're right, he would do ok in the Championship or below but I doubt anyone would be willing to pay 2m for him.

Plus knowing the toon he's probably on 20-30k a week so that would also make it difficult to get a decent fee.

Someone else had us getting one or two million more for Rozey than we paid for him, of course because his reputation as a player has become a whole lot better since he signed for the toon. Actually that same person has us earning 1.5m for both Viduka and Carr each, two players that will be free signings for their next club without a doubt.

Now here's the thing, I'm as bias about our club as the next moron but seriously the rose tinted glasses some of us wear without a doubt aren't helping us see the woods for the trees!

Also for those that have included wor Marco Bresciano, he scored a cracker of his head last night against Qatar (no not like what Tom plays) and he's a great player, in Italy. In England he would be found wanting as he needs time on the ball (which lead to that killer pass) and isn't the most physical of players.

But he's shit, Alex! :D

You're right, he would do ok in the Championship or below but I doubt anyone would be willing to pay 2m for him.

Plus knowing the toon he's probably on 20-30k a week so that would also make it difficult to get a decent fee.

Someone else had us getting one or two million more for Rozey than we paid for him, of course because his reputation as a player has become a whole lot better since he signed for the toon. Actually that same person has us earning 1.5m for both Viduka and Carr each, two players that will be free signings for their next club without a doubt.

Now here's the thing, I'm as bias about our club as the next moron but seriously the rose tinted glasses some of us wear without a doubt aren't helping us see the woods for the trees!

Also for those that have included wor Marco Bresciano, he scored a cracker of his head last night against Qatar (no not like what Tom plays) and he's a great player, in Italy. In England he would be found wanting as he needs time on the ball (which lead to that killer pass) and isn't the most physical of players.

I don't think Shola will be on a fortune like. I laughed at the Rozenhal thing though. He comes here, flops and we make a profit. Slightly wishful thinking there. Same goes for Carr and probably Viduka.