Cheap hotels in Newcastle

Southern Geordie

I messaged this to Jill but thought it'd be easier to post on here, so some more people could help me out as I'm getting pretty desperate. I booked to come up to Newcastle for the Reading game on the 5th April but looks like my original accomodation has fallen through so I've been looking for hostels, bed and breakfasts and hotels without much luck really. The Premier inn in the city centre is already fully booked which is a bit of a pain, so any help would be appreciated.

There are two of us and our train gets into Newcastle for 1pm so need enough time to check in, get to the stadium etc. Our price range is about 40 quid each max, being tight students and all.

I messaged this to Jill but thought it'd be easier to post on here, so some more people could help me out as I'm getting pretty desperate. I booked to come up to Newcastle for the Reading game on the 5th April but looks like my original accomodation has fallen through so I've been looking for hostels, bed and breakfasts and hotels without much luck really. The Premier inn in the city centre is already fully booked which is a bit of a pain, so any help would be appreciated.

There are two of us and our train gets into Newcastle for 1pm so need enough time to check in, get to the stadium etc. Our price range is about 40 quid each max, being tight students and all.

Are you saying Jill's house is like that of a brothel/cheap hotel? :nufc:

Might've known you'd have a snide comment to make. :nufc::angry::nufc:

No, really I just know nothing about hotels in Newcastle. :nufc:

I wouldn't want to disappoint you now would I Jill? :nufc:

Cheers for the help! :nufc:

Most of the hotels have been booked already or are quite a way away from the centre which is a bit of a pain in the arse considering our train gets in at 1.

Have you tried some of the serviced apartments?

Premier

City Based Apartments

Deep Blue

Yeah, had a look at them. Are a bit out of our price range though!

Brighton hotel in Fenham, walkable distance but still very cheap taxi and apparently a regular bus into town. Think it was £60 for the night between 2 of us.

Cheers pal, have e-mailed them. How did you book yours? I emailed them through a1 tourism.

I know there's a guest house just off Gosforth High Street called the Western House that would be fairly convenient for the station (30/31 bus, about 20 minutes door-to-door) and the ground (tons of buses straight back in to the Civic Centre in less than 10 mins), but I've no idea if it's any good, if its prices are remotely competitive, if they'd have rooms free or anything else really. :nufc: That a1 tourism site has them (http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/a48349.html), just a phone number though I think.

Maybe they've got an allocation of rooms that they guarantee to pay the hotel for, in exchange for asking the end customer for a lower price than the rack rate. Standard practice in the industry AFAIK, though I think you tend to see it less for smaller hotels than the big/posh chains. I think. :nufc:

And yeah, I should have thought of Osborne Road sooner really, there's tons of small hotels, guest houses and B&Bs there.

Cool, cheers Meenzer. Take it Osborne Road is a decent area in terms of having to rush from the train station then back to St' James?

And yeah, I should have thought of Osborne Road sooner really, there's tons of small hotels, guest houses and B&Bs there.

Cool, cheers Meenzer. Take it Osborne Road is a decent area in terms of having to rush from the train station then back to St' James?

The Metro station is on top of Osborne Road IIRC (or very close). To walk to SJP it's about 20-30 mins (again IIRC).

That's basically where I meant when I mentioned Jesmond. :nufc: Decent for getting to & from town.

Aye, as Wolfgang says there's the Metro (though if the map on that particular hotel's website is right, it's basically between West Jesmond and Jesmond stations, so there'd be a bit of a hike either way), and there's definitely buses up Osborne Road from somewhere in the city centre - not sure about numbers though (possibly the 33?) or where from exactly (though Pilgrim Street would seem likely). Anyone?

EDIT: Tell a lie, West Jesmond is clearly a bit closer. But if you end up somewhere else on Osborne Road then that might not be the case. Confused yet? :nufc:

Edited by Meenzer

OK, just spotted a dirt-cheap (by NXEC standards) train fare for the 5th, so I'm coming up for this one too. :nufc: Won't be a huge amount of drinking time afterwards, but enough for a couple!