Sir Les Of The Tyne

Tooj

Criminal that we only got 2 seasons out of him before the money men sold him.... :lol:

As Shearer says, his best striking partner of all and as KK pointed, undoubtedly the best header of the ball in the country at that time - with Gillespie on one wing and Ginola on the other, Ferdinand couldn't help but score.

Will probably get some stick from the pro-Shearer lot for this but IMO Sir Les is the best striker I've ever seen at the club.

If Shearer said that he was probably in MOTD mode. Ferdinand had to give up his #9 shirt when Shearer arrived. Shearer worked much better with Duncan Ferguson and Bellamy in my opinion.

Shearer would probably prefer Ferdinand because he scored more goals with him, than he did with Ferguson or Bellamy, plus he fucking hated Bellamy, so it's unlikely he'd rate him highly.

Agreed...

Shearer worked better with no other striker during his time at Newcastle than Ferdinand. The only ones who come close at club level IMO were Sutton and Newell...

He obviously still rates his link up with Sheringham for England as his best - shame really as it didn't really work for that long...

I also think that Shearer suffers from the fact we saw him play on for us probably 2 years too long (as the main focus of our attack). It says a lot when I would have preferred to see Kluivert and Bellamy have an extended reign together up front even when Shearer was fit. The other strikers he's being compared with were pretty much at their peak throughout their time at newcastle in successful teams. For me, I just love the front 4 of gillespie, ginola, shearer, ferdinand, as I don't really think there's been another team whove played so well with 2 genuine wingers and 2 powerful strikers (plus they whooped united and spurs). But thats probably influenced by my age.

I think Shearer was still the best we had, certainly until his last season. Kluivert just seemed to have lost interest in football by the time we got him.

Ferguson and Shearer were pretty good in snips, but IIRC they hardly played together due to injuries and then there was Gullit's decent into insanity.

More might have/should have been's I guess. :lol:

• 7 years later...

We are all too young, yes including me, to really debate on who was our best goal scorer unless you look at the documented records because none of us ever saw him play for us.

It amuses me to hear of Ferdinand, Shearer, Beardsley, Quin, Cole etc with no mention of 'Wee Hughie'.

I think the records show that Hughie Galagher was the best centre forward that ever wore black n' white, check 'em out and see if I'm not right.