Chelsea - Bad sports

JaMoUsE

One of the reasons we failed in 96 was that Keegan wasn't true enough to his scouse training and had a team of too nice players (Batty apart).

Think of Liverpool under Shankly/Paisley - Man U under Ferguson, the Aussie cricket team, the Italian football team - one thing in common is being "professional" - a nice way of saying unsporting, cheating twats - and winners.

And Shearer.

Didn't play 95-96 but he does epitomise what I was talking about - a top cunt.

Would make a beautiful epitaph.

"Here lies Alan Shearer, loving husband and father, one of the best strikers this country has seen, and a top cunt."

I thought we were 'too nice' as a team under Robson too.

Definitely - despite Shearer's and Bellamy's best efforts.

The thing that brought the original point to mind was remembering a game against Liverpool in about 85 - I remember John Bailey retrieving the ball from the crowd and tossing it in a friendly manner to Steve Nichol to take a throw and him launching the ball straight back over Bailey to a Liverpool player who went down the line and crossed for a goal - typical of that 80s team.

Well actually Bellamy gets a bit of a bad rap on that score imo (not saying he is a saint btw). When he plays he gives 100%, he doesn't dive and he doesn't leave his foot in / go over the top in tackles. Of course he's a mouthy little cunt (to his opponents and the ref) and opposition fans hate him. But if more people played with the good points of his I mentioned the game would be all the better imo. He has that winning mentality you need in players though.

One of the reasons we failed in 96 was that Keegan wasn't true enough to his scouse training and had a team of too nice players (Batty apart).

Think of Liverpool under Shankly/Paisley - Man U under Ferguson, the Aussie cricket team, the Italian football team - one thing in common is being "professional" - a nice way of saying unsporting, cheating twats - and winners.

And Shearer.

Didn't play 95-96 but he does epitomise what I was talking about - a top cunt.

Would make a beautiful epitaph.

"Here lies Alan Shearer, loving husband and father, one of the best strikers this country has seen, and a top cunt."

:lol:

The players are a bunch of nobs and the fans are shit.

I do like Lampard, Terry and Joe Cole though.

Terry is a thug and a bully, one of the worst people to have been given the England captaincy since I've followed football.

They had Jeff Winter (another prize cock!) on Talksport this morning and were discussing the players who barrack referees.

Winter claims that Terry is worst culprit this season for doing this and that alone should prevent him from getting the captain's armband for England. For once I agree with the Smoggie twat...

That said, Steven Gerrard was conspicious by his absence during the whole Mascherano affair on Sunday. Surely as his club captain he should have firstly been the one (not Mascherano) to question anything and secondly, surely he should have been over to make sure his player acted in the right fashion following his red card?

Disappeared completely though... hardly the actions of the best leader?

No-one sticks out as a definitive captain for England at the moment IMO - maybe that's half the problem!

Terry is a thug and a bully, one of the worst people to have been given the England captaincy since I've followed football.

They had Jeff Winter (another prize cock!) on Talksport this morning and were discussing the players who barrack referees.

Winter claims that Terry is worst culprit this season for doing this and that alone should prevent him from getting the captain's armband for England. For once I agree with the Smoggie twat...

That said, Steven Gerrard was conspicious by his absence during the whole Mascherano affair on Sunday. Surely as his club captain he should have firstly been the one (not Mascherano) to question anything and secondly, surely he should have been over to make sure his player acted in the right fashion following his red card?

No-one sticks out as a definitive captain for England at the moment IMO - maybe that's half the problem!

Maybe he had more sense to argue with the referee, seeing as there's supposed to be a clampdown on such behaviour? I agree he should have calmed down Mascherano though. Probably looking out for himself and keeping his nose clean before the England game, the shifty git. Hardly the actions of a leader, I agree.

Owen is starting to look like a better captain for us, he was geeing the players up in the huddle on Saturday. But his place in the England team is far from secure. The next best option for England, dare I say it, is Rooney IMO. He's matured a fair bit and he is one of the senior players, and one who will be around for a while.

Maybe he had more sense to argue with the referee, seeing as there's supposed to be a clampdown on such behaviour? I agree he should have calmed down Mascherano though. Probably looking out for himself and keeping his nose clean before the England game, the shifty git. Hardly the actions of a leader, I agree.

Owen is starting to look like a better captain for us, he was geeing the players up in the huddle on Saturday. But his place in the England team is far from secure. The next best option for England, dare I say it, is Rooney IMO. He's matured a fair bit and he is one of the senior players, and one who will be around for a while.

Didn't seem to bother him when he quite clearly told Bennett to 'fuck off' later on in the match but then the inconsistencies are the root of the problem...

I think players have been getting away with too much backchat for too long.

It's about time the rugby principle in that the only person allowed to talk to approach the referee is the team captain is introduced in football.

While I agree that there has been far too much backchat for far too long it's unfortunate that it's this incident as opposed to one where a player really has verbally attacked the referee that was chosen as the example to make.

It's about time the rugby principle in that the only person allowed to talk to approach the referee is the team captain is introduced in football.

While I agree that there has been far too much backchat for far too long it's unfortunate that it's this incident as opposed to one where a player really has verbally attacked the referee that was chosen as the example to make.

I thought that was supposedly the case anyway - I remember Shearer getting booked by Rennie for asking him why he'd booked Lua Lua for diving when the Bolton player had admitted fouling him and Shearer said "I spoke to him as captain which I'm allowed to do".

Yeah it is the principle but it's hardly adhered to. In rugby you approach the referee and he'll abruptly tell you to speak to him through your captain. Ignore him and you're warned, ignore him again and you're off.

Same should apply in football.

I thought we were 'too nice' as a team under Robson too.

Definitely - despite Shearer's and Bellamy's best efforts.

The thing that brought the original point to mind was remembering a game against Liverpool in about 85 - I remember John Bailey retrieving the ball from the crowd and tossing it in a friendly manner to Steve Nichol to take a throw and him launching the ball straight back over Bailey to a Liverpool player who went down the line and crossed for a goal - typical of that 80s team.

Well actually Bellamy gets a bit of a bad rap on that score imo (not saying he is a saint btw). When he plays he gives 100%, he doesn't dive and he doesn't leave his foot in / go over the top in tackles. Of course he's a mouthy little cunt (to his opponents and the ref) and opposition fans hate him. But if more people played with the good points of his I mentioned the game would be all the better imo. He has that winning mentality you need in players though.

Something 99% of our current squad lack, the root of our problems...maybe?

Agreed. Can't be that difficult to implement can it?