Not Starting a Record shop & starting a guitar shop, Internet, then the world!

Tom

Parky's role as board Dungeon Master doesn't translate well into career advice. :icon_lol:

It's fucking frighteningly casual advice at best.

Fact of the matter is if Tom's to get it off the ground then he's going to need funds, and that means he's going to need some pretty robust answers to the types of points that have been raised when he goes knocking on the bank's door. Field of Dreams platitudes alone are gonna get the lad laughed out of any business meeting and even Parky would have to accept that.

I run my own business what made it work wasn't anything to do with business things it was all to do with that I wanted to do it. That has to be in place first. All the other stuff although important is secondary. IMHO.

I also sometimes get paid to go and talk to other companies in my field on where they could improve.

There is a lot of commonsensical advice in this thread I agree. But finally in my experience what it will stand and fall on is Tom's desire to do it.

What is it and who gave you the finances to start it without you showing them some sort of business plan?

I went to the bank with 4 contracts signed in my hand worth £38,000 and asked if I could open a business account.

:)

Don't you see that puts you in a slightly different position to Tom then?

Fuck me gently!

The guy is talking about starting off by investing in high street premises ffs.

That is why I'm giving him a different kind of (as you've spotted) more motivational advice. Business advise isn't worth the paper it's written on, I've never read a single book about business and never will. The main issue here is that every business is unique taking into account a multitude of factors and no one can really say at the get go whether it will work. I say again IMHO it comes down to the passion of the person and how much of themselves they want to put into it.

I was in Milan a couple of weeks ago and I'll be in Barcelona tomorrow, the practices and needs of these companies although both in Europe are a million miles apart...For me it always comes down to the people. What Tom wants to do will work primarily cause he identifies with it so much.

Most millionaires have a handful of failed businesses behind them. It's nothing to worry about, the main thing is beginning the journey. :ok:

Fucking hell man. Of course they do. As do a lot of failed businessmen. :crylaughin:

Tom clearly isn't short on motivation. The thread is just pure common sense as far as I can see.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah right, that's not bad for the amp. Well I guess if you can get a US one for 60 notes, I'll be looking at around 60 notes! :) I've got a Dunlop Crybaby, a chorus, a flange (wahey!) and something else I think. The last two are both Boss I think.

Parky's role as board Dungeon Master doesn't translate well into career advice. :ok:

Fact of the matter is if Tom's to get it off the ground then he's going to need funds, and that means he's going to need some pretty robust answers to the types of points that have been raised when he goes knocking on the bank's door. Field of Dreams platitudes alone are gonna get the lad laughed out of any business meeting and even Parky would have to accept that.

I run my own business what made it work wasn't anything to do with business things it was all to do with that I wanted to do it. That has to be in place first. All the other stuff although important is secondary. IMHO.

I also sometimes get paid to go and talk to other companies in my field on where they could improve.

There is a lot of commonsensical advice in this thread I agree. But finally in my experience what it will stand and fall on is Tom's desire to do it.

What is it and who gave you the finances to start it without you showing them some sort of business plan?

I went to the bank with 4 contracts signed in my hand worth £38,000 and asked if I could open a business account.

Fuck me gently!

That is why I'm giving him a different kind of (as you've spotted) more motivational advice. Business advise isn't worth the paper it's written on, I've never read a single book about business and never will. The main issue here is that every business is unique taking into account a multitude of factors and no one can really say at the get go whether it will work. I say again IMHO it comes down to the passion of the person and how much of themselves they want to put into it.

I was in Milan a couple of weeks ago and I'll be in Barcelona tomorrow, the practices and needs of these companies although both in Europe are a million miles apart...For me it always comes down to the people. What Tom wants to do will work primarily cause he identifies with it so much.

Most millionaires have a handful of failed businesses behind them. It's nothing to worry about, the main thing is beginning the journey. :good:

Fucking hell man. Of course they do. As do a lot of failed businessmen. :crylaughin:

Tom clearly isn't short on motivation. The thread is just pure common sense as far as I can see.

Fair enough. I'm not Fop you know. :icon_lol:

Parky's role as board Dungeon Master doesn't translate well into career advice. :ok:

Fuck me gently!

Most millionaires have a handful of failed businesses behind them. It's nothing to worry about, the main thing is beginning the journey. :good:

Fair enough. I'm not Fop you know. :icon_lol:

I agree.

Parky's role as board Dungeon Master doesn't translate well into career advice. :good:

Fuck me gently!

Most millionaires have a handful of failed businesses behind them. It's nothing to worry about, the main thing is beginning the journey. :headphonedance:

Fair enough. I'm not Fop you know. :ok:

:icon_lol:

Fair do's like.

Ah right, that's not bad for the amp. Well I guess if you can get a US one for 60 notes, I'll be looking at around 60 notes! :) I've got a Dunlop Crybaby, a chorus, a flange (wahey!) and something else I think. The last two are both Boss I think.

The US one is new though, plus I wouldn't pay £60 for a Rack effect, i think my reverb tank is about £100 worth anyway.

I might buy the chorus off you we will see. It depends if it is an ensemble or singular. The market for mass produced effects is fucking shit is you are selling second hand, unless they are boutique effects in which you will have payed a fortune in the first place.

The thing with the Marshall is the logo really, the amps are decent but they always come across as a teenagers a,p (no offence), they have no really accent and everything you do sounds like synthetic hendrix! :crylaughin:

Out of vague interest how much is the black album (Prince) worth these days?

about £100.

Depending on issue btw.

I don't know but I've got one. Is it a collector's item like? :)

Truly. Especially if you've got a numbered one. They didn't press many relatively speaking before it was withdrawn.

about £100.

Depending on issue btw.

I was offered £400 for it back in 1995 I think it was.

It's on buy it now on ebay for a tenner. :)

That will be a reissue.

and if people are daft enough to sell proper ones for a tenner i would snap their fucking hands off.

and then sell it.

I fucking hate prince :crylaughin:

That will be a reissue.

and if people are daft enough to sell proper ones for a tenner i would snap their fucking hands off.

and then sell it.

I fucking hate prince :icon_lol:

There were two versions of the original one had a black cover and the other had another cover...Your starter for 10 Tom??

No looking on google. :crylaughin:

That will be a reissue.

and then sell it.

I fucking hate prince :ok:

There were two versions of the original one had a black cover and the other had another cover...Your starter for 10 Tom??

No looking on google. :crylaughin:

Im not sure :icon_lol:

But worth a go.

It all depends on who you're selling to or whether your buying to sell.

If you are lucky you can get £100 + but if you sell it poorly you could get under £40.

This thread still going?

Won't ever happen man.

Wrong.

Im starting in August or I might give a something a shot at the end of June/July as I will have the storage space.

Guitars have a market, especially for people who know what they are talking about (me).

Guest BigThompers
This thread still going?

Won't ever happen man.

Wrong.

Im starting in August or I might give a something a shot at the end of June/July as I will have the storage space.

Guitars have a market, especially for people who know what they are talking about (me).

Won't. happen.

This thread still going?

Won't ever happen man.

Wrong.

Won't. happen.

Ok mate.

It's like Rafa taking the piss out of Drogba. :)