summer signings...

nobby_solano

BENITEZ: CROUCH WILL COST £15MILLION

Rafael Benitez has slapped a £15million price tag on England striker Peter Crouch on the day that he lost his first-team coach Alex Miller and confirmed that Harry Kewell will leave Liverpool.

And the Anfield chief also revealed that he had held talks with Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill over the potential transfer of midfielder Gareth Barry to Liverpool.

Benitez accepts that Crouch could have his head turned after a frustrating season when he has found first-team chances hard to come by - but the Spaniard insists he will not be leaving on the cheap.

"Crouch wants to play every week but knows he must fight it out with Fernando Torres," Benitez said.

"We keep seeing Portsmouth linked with the player but we have had no offer as yet.

"A £15m price tag would not be unreasonable."

On Kewell's departure, Benitez added: "We have tried to come to an agreement with the player and his agent, but that has not been possible.

"Kewell will leave the club at the end of his contract."

It is believed that Kewell has rejected a new deal on reduced wages.

Benitez also explained further the pending saga over Barry, and revealed that nothing more will happen until after this weekend's closing round of league matches.

He said: "I have spoken to Martin O'Neill, he knows my ideas.

"But we agreed to wait until the end of the season for any more discussions."

Benitez has also seen coach Alex Miller leave the club to take up a management appointment in Japan with JEF United Chiba.

He said: "We have some names to consider and will make an appointment soon."

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex

I'd take Crouch but not at that sort of money. I'd have a sniff around Darren Bent as well who has looked canny good when he has actually played this season.

Crouch £15m :lol:

What has Rafa been smoking?

An England international tbf, what Rafa is quoting is probably a bit more than what they would accept, I'd say around £12m will be what he'll go for.

Thank god West Ham are around to make our transfer dealings look shrewd....

HAMMERS OFFER LJUNGBERG £3m TO LEAVE

West Ham's recruitment of Freddie Ljungberg is set to feature prominently in a list of the most ill-advised transfers in history after it emerged that the Hammers are ready to pay him £3m to leave the club just a year after his move to East London.

Since last August's transfer, itself worth £3m, Ljungberg has contributed a measly three goals - although that is more than the player scored in his final seasons at Arsenal. Almost as incredible as the bottom line of the contract Ljungberg signed Upton Park last summer was its longevity. It's one thing to offer a footballer a £75,000-a week wage, it is quite another to provide a 30-year-old already in clear decline with a four-year contract.

Yet that is precisely what West Ham are reported to have done and, now realising the folly of that decision, they are ready to cut their exorbitant losses. According to The Times, the Hammers have offered Ljungberg £3m to leave - although even that hefty compensation package does not equate to a year's salary as per the contract Ljungberg signed nine months ago.

The newspaper also reports that the Hammers are preparing to make similar offers to Lucas Neill and Luís Boa Morte in a bid to reduce their wage bill.

There's no mention of whether anyone at the club will actually be held accountable for making these deals in the first place.

funny, half of chelsea's normal bench beat us 2-0 at home last weekend, wes brown another shit top 4 reject we should have signed has been holding his own in manu's backline.

How exactly is Wes Brown a reject?

he's not , he's been great this season , but those were the cries when it looked like we wanted to sign him .

i was just saying that people throw that top 4 reject tag around far to easy , i can see why , we of all clubs have been burned . but there is alot of good players we could nick from them .

Edited by Hadrian

Guest alex
I'd take Crouch but not at that sort of money. I'd have a sniff around Darren Bent as well who has looked canny good when he has actually played this season.

no he hasnt

Ok.

no he hasnt

Ok.

haha. your so clueless

no he hasnt

Ok.

haha. your so clueless

you're right </Fop>

Guest alex

no he hasnt

Ok.

haha. your so clueless

Is this you having a go at being wum btw?

no he hasnt

Ok.

haha. your so clueless

nah not really. im just laughing at you thinking darren bents good

no he hasnt

Ok.

haha. your so clueless

tbf I don't think he's a WUM

just profoundly stupid

Guest alex

no he hasnt

Ok.

haha. your so clueless

In what games do you think he hasn't played well then?

no he hasnt

Ok.

haha. your so clueless

just profoundly stupid

why are you posting on a newcastle forum if your from burnley?

no he hasnt

Ok.

haha. your so clueless

just profoundly stupid

is there some kind of rule that says I can't be a newcastle fan?

no he hasnt

Ok.

haha. your so clueless

In what games do you think he hasn't played well then?

none really. really bad start to season. was hopeless against us when we were at home. started playing a few games recently since spurs have nothing to play for. scored a few goals, nothing special

Scored a cracking header against us...

doesnt make him good

Well the technique he used was good and he done well to get it.

So yes. it does.

He's not £16m /£110k p/w good but in the right team he would do ok.

no he hasnt

Ok.

haha. your so clueless

just profoundly stupid

is there some kind of rule that says I can't be a newcastle fan?

no but there should be

Wernet we connected with Bent at one point?

Under SBR I think.

Aye thought so. I think he has done ok when come on as a sub, but I dunno if thats a player trying his hardest to get regular football or not?