Sky+

wykikitoon

As mentioned in a previous thread I am about to move into a new house.

I am looking at getting Sky+

I need a BT line, if I choose the 3 Sky package (TV, Phone and Broadband) do you still have to pay the BT line rental? If so, this is a bit scandelous?

You'd have to pay line rental whoever you are with. Not sure if Sky do LLU packages or line rental with themselves, as you wouldn't be paying line rental to both companies.

You'd have to pay line rental whoever you are with. Not sure if Sky do LLU packages or line rental with themselves, as you wouldn't be paying line rental to both companies.

Cheers marra

I just didnt like the idea of BT having a monopoly on the lines.

Are SKY still doing the referral scheme ?

Think so...

Jo had Sky and got her brother signed up which got her an upgrade to Sky+ for nothing. That was a couple of years back so when I move and want to sign up, she's going to do the referral thing again and get me onto standard Sky earning her an upgrade from Sky+ to Sky HD. That'll be a nice Sky+ box for me then :calmdown:

Think so...

Jo had Sky and got her brother signed up which got her an upgrade to Sky+ for nothing. That was a couple of years back so when I move and want to sign up, she's going to do the referral thing again and get me onto standard Sky earning her an upgrade from Sky+ to Sky HD. That'll be a nice Sky+ box for me then :calmdown:

Don't you still need a different method of installation though?

Think so...

As far as I'm aware, it's the same 'feed' but with a receiver box that has an integral HD and software on board to be able to deal with it. Pretty sure you can take a Sky+ box round to a house where it is normal Sky and be able to record...

Don't bank on being offered any offer at all.

I rang up the other week threatening to cancel my broadband (been with them about two years) and even my TV (about seven years) and they didn't want to know. Spoke to about ten different people, none gave a shit.

Their CS was diabolic though, it has to be said.

Think so...

As far as I'm aware, it's the same 'feed' but with a receiver box that has an integral HD and software on board to be able to deal with it. Pretty sure you can take a Sky+ box round to a house where it is normal Sky and be able to record...

SKY+ Installation uses 2 signals, a twin LMB will be fitted to the mast of the dish and another cable run in so effectively your dish becomes a double dish which will allow you to watch one channel while recording another.

PS - I'd be impressed if a referral gets anyone a free HD box considering they're £199-£249 + £60 installation (hilariously you can't avoid this, even though it only takes the 30 seconds to swap the cables over) for existing customers. Then there's the mandatory £10/month subscription of course, unless you want to pay an extra £100 for the box...

Also, for Sky+ you need two feeds from the dish to allow the recording. If you only have normal Sky you won't have this, though it's pretty easy to add one yourself.

Edit - too slow. :calmdown:

Edited by nufc4ever

ah fuck it... :lol:

Although i've studied the cable run from the dish at Jo's gaff and it's only single core wire. Or do they use a different cable? :calmdown:

Nah, hers has the ability to record other channels while she's watching one. Also think she can multi-record actually...

Yet there is definitely only one core of wire coming down from the dish :calmdown:

We've got just the standard Sky downstairs but Sky+ in my room. Strangely enough I seem to find random stuff recorded on my Sky+ by others in the house. :calmdown:

cheers Dave - so do you effectively just run a second core down from the dish? That's simple isn't it or am I missing the point? :calmdown: