Avram Grant sacked.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This manager thing actually might be the least of their worries. Roman has recently taken a heavy liking to the fine art scene and has started collecting prodigiously. There is talk of sponsoring major shows in St Petersburg and Moscow. He's got 3 yachts in build and is spending huge amounts of time building business in Latvia and Moscow. He wants to get into space etc etc...I have a feeling he could walk away.

I was just thinking along the same lines, especially re: the Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud purchases of late. Also, did you see him when Terry missed? He was smiling. Is he really that arsed?

I'm in contact occasionally with one of his 'buyers' here and she was given a season pass to his box at the bridge, which tells me he really wants to build something and wants other people to enjoy it along with him. There will be 8 plasma's on his new boat, primarily for footie watching. I think it's a catch 22 as he wants beautiful football but also winning football which is mightily difficult to deliver. Yes I think there is a time limit and attention span issue and the next manager will perhaps be his last crack at it at Chelsea. IMO there are about 3 managers who can deliver fluid football: Rijkaard, Wenger and Klinsmann (KK wouldn't survive 5 min's in the Chelsea set up).

Just imagine what Keegan could have done with Chelsea's (or Chelski's anyway) resources though. :blink:

This manager thing actually might be the least of their worries. Roman has recently taken a heavy liking to the fine art scene and has started collecting prodigiously. There is talk of sponsoring major shows in St Petersburg and Moscow. He's got 3 yachts in build and is spending huge amounts of time building business in Latvia and Moscow. He wants to get into space etc etc...I have a feeling he could walk away.

I was just thinking along the same lines, especially re: the Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud purchases of late. Also, did you see him when Terry missed? He was smiling. Is he really that arsed?

I'm in contact occasionally with one of his 'buyers' here and she was given a season pass to his box at the bridge, which tells me he really wants to build something and wants other people to enjoy it along with him. There will be 8 plasma's on his new boat, primarily for footie watching. I think it's a catch 22 as he wants beautiful football but also winning football which is mightily difficult to deliver. Yes I think there is a time limit and attention span issue and the next manager will perhaps be his last crack at it at Chelsea. IMO there are about 3 managers who can deliver fluid football: Rijkaard, Wenger and Klinsmann (KK wouldn't survive 5 min's in the Chelsea set up).

Just imagine what Keegan could have done with Chelsea's (or Chelski's anyway) resources though. :blink:

It would have ended in tears. Keegan would have continually bought more and more players thus meaning an unsettled team and poor results. IMO.

Guest alex
Lucky manager?

Yes, but in a different way to Sven. :blink:

More in a similar way to which Keegan and Newcastle might have been, if a few things had gone a little differently.

Check my sig numbnuts.

Guest alex

Keane was linked with the job on the back of yesterday's Express. I assume that was just the Norn Iron edition though. I assume it's bollocks that he is even being considered.

Lucky manager?

Yes, but in a different way to Sven. :blink:

More in a similar way to which Keegan and Newcastle might have been, if a few things had gone a little differently.

Check my sig numbnuts.

Aye it's a good idea. :razz:

It would have ended in tears. Keegan would have continually bought more and more players thus meaning an unsettled team and poor results. IMO.

Maybe, but it would have been a wonderful team to watch play.

Already did happen - basically his first spell as manager here.

Yeah Keegan had lot to spend then relatively, but still not as much (relatively) as Cheski have had and maybe still have. Plus if Keegan had got the sort of continual backing here he'd never have left.

Guest alex

Yeah Keegan had lot to spend then relatively, but still not as much (relatively) as Cheski have had and maybe still have. Plus if Keegan had got the sort of continual backing here he'd never have left.

It was similar then. Not identical obviously - we're not in London for a start but we were the clear challengers to Man Utd's throne. We were in a position to break the world transfer record and bid for Paulo Maldini at the same time. Probably the biggest difference is that only the league winners went into the Champions League.

I was making the point that, with unlimited funds, I think KK would never be satisfied with what he had, as player after player caught his eye which he would want to buy to be 'the last piece of the jigsaw' (as one of KK's favourite saying goes).

Guest alex
I was making the point that, with unlimited funds, I think KK would never be satisfied with what he had, as player after player caught his eye which he would want to buy to be 'the last piece of the jigsaw' (as one of KK's favourite saying goes).

Well that's probably true. Plus, better managers than him haven't conquered all with massive funds. Not that I think he's a bad manager.

Edited by alex

Well that's probably true. Plus, better managers than him haven't conquered all with massive funds. Not that I think he's a bad manager.

Old folk like me will always raise a smirk at Malcolm Allison at Citeh (greatest supported club in the history of football. FACT!) in the 70's :blink::razz:

It was similar then. Not identical obviously - we're not in London for a start but we were the clear challengers to Man Utd's throne. We were in a position to break the world transfer record and bid for Paulo Maldini at the same time. Probably the biggest difference is that only the league winners went into the Champions League.

Exactly it could have been like Keegan + Newcastle on steroids.

Aye, maybe, although I don't think he's ever really been in a position to rest on his laurels (as a manager), but still what a team it would be.

Guest alex

It's a shame Keegan never hung around for the expanded CL or that our rise didn't come a season or two later because I honestly think we'd be a firmly established CL now rather than a team that has simply flirted with the competition on occasion.

It's a shame Keegan never hung around for the expanded CL or that our rise didn't come a season or two later because I honestly think we'd be a firmly established CL now rather than a team that has simply flirted with the competition on occasion.

Well you can blame greed for that one, the irony being if they'd put it off a few seasons more they'd have all ended up richer. Which again is the upside for Chelski, as long as they do retain Roman's favour they do have the closest thing to unlimited funds that a club probably ever has had. Of course if he ever does go...

Guest alex
Was it ever established as FACT! why he left ?? I have the story about him wanting to buy Signori (sp) but wasn't allowed to - though that could be bollocks.

The official line from KK is that it was the plc and the board not having control of the pursestrings and so on. I think it was a number of things - mainly the pressure of not quite being able to deliver the league as it looked like we'd hoyed it away that season when he left. I can't believe he'd have walked if we looked like we were going to win it.