excel test

zico martin

I've got a job interview on Wednesday which I'm led to believe will include a 'desktop exercise', probably testing my excel ability. My excel knowledge is pretty limited to what i need to use (and work out myself) in my current role but is there anywhere which could teach me some of the more advanced stuff? As I've had little to no formal training I wanna try and plug any gaping holes in my knowledge if possible.

cheers guys :nah:

I've got a job interview on Wednesday which I'm led to believe will include a 'desktop exercise', probably testing my excel ability. My excel knowledge is pretty limited to what i need to use (and work out myself) in my current role but is there anywhere which could teach me some of the more advanced stuff? As I've had little to no formal training I wanna try and plug any gaping holes in my knowledge if possible.

cheers guys :nah:

Claim discrimination for not being allowed the option of OOo then sue them and retire on the proceeds.

Dunno if this is a bit advanced for what you're after but Clicky

bloody hell I dont even understood the website!

I'll have a look later to see if i can make some sense of it though I do suspect it's just a little advanced for me :nah:

unfortunately I dont think i'll be able to smuggle you into my interview bassy so plan B.

and what's OOo, you've lost me fop

• 4 months later...
:razz:

you guys kill me <_<

go on man give us a clue - basics on creating a macro?

Creating basic macros in Excel is a doddle (much like crucifixion) as it writes all the code for you.

To get started all you need to do is open Excel and select Tools > Macro > Record New Macro..., give it a name and description if you like then perform the steps that you want your macro to carry out, such as opening a spreadsheet, printing it then closing it. Once completed, press the 'Stop' button on the Stop Recording tool bar.

To then go and view your handy work, press [ALT+F11] (or select Tools > Macro > Visual Basic Editor).

In the VBA window, you'll see a Project box top right which, if you used the default save location when recording your macro, will have your bit of code under VBAProject (Book1) > Modules > Macro1 (or whatever you called your macro). Double click on the macro and, voila!, your code will appear over on the right.

That any help?

I agree with MrBass,

the best way to learn VBA (or at least the basics) is to make hundreds of macros in the ways hes described then analyze the code to see how its doing it, as long as you have any kind of apptitude for code (and understand the concepts of Object Orientated Programming) then you'll pick it up without a problem.

I agree with MrBass,

the best way to learn VBA (or at least the basics) is to make hundreds of macros in the ways hes described then analyze the code to see how its doing it, as long as you have any kind of apptitude for code (and understand the concepts of Object Orientated Programming) then you'll pick it up without a problem.

cheers guys that's a good help, they were easier to set up than I thought but will take the VB route you advised.