Liverpool offer unknown teen for Milner

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United are furious with Liverpool after they offered three “nonentities” in part-exchange for winger James Milner.

United have found themselves in an identical situation to Aston Villa when Martin O'Neill went ballistic after Rafael Benitez tried the same trick with them in a bid to lure Gareth Barry to Anfield.

O'Neill never went public with the players he was offered by Liverpool, but the Chronicle can reveal that Benitez has dangled 19-year-old defenders Emiliano Insua and Jack Hobbs in front of United.

The third player was so insignificant that my St James’s Park source could not even recall his name – and needless to say United will not be biting.

Insua is an Argentinian who was signed from Nobby Solano’s old club Boca Juniors, while Hobbs has been on loan at Scunthorpe since the January transfer window.

It’s not that long ago that Liverpool were trailing in the wake of a Sir Bobby Robson-inspired United, and the feeling at St James’s Park is that the Anfield club have a nerve to offer three players who are presumably surplus to requirements for Milner.

If Benitez had put Peter Crouch in the frame in part-exchange for their England Under-21 international, then United would at least have been prepared to listen.

Even Norwegian left-back John Arne Riise, whose Liverpool stock has slumped since his disastrous own goal against Chelsea in the semi-final of the Champions League at Anfield, would have brought a semblance of interest.

Riise is expected to leave Merseyside in the next month and it seemed a fair bet that Kevin Keegan could have been interested.

Keegan told me before the end of the season that with Spaniard Jose Enrique as his only left-back, he would be on the lookout for another one in the summer.

But that was before Keegan’s showdown meeting with Mike Ashley.

Indeed, all the talk among football agents is that if any transfer business is to be done with United, it will be done through director of football Dennis Wise and vice-president (player recruitment) Tony Jimenez and not the manager.

What is the story with Milner? Does he want to leave or do you want him to?

Insua is a useful player. Hobbs is a donkey.

Just all rumours I think mate, he seems happy here and is a good squad player.

he's had so much prem experience for a lad his age , silly to let him get all that with us then move him on when he's due to start comming good .

dont play these fucking youngsters if we are not going to keep them , just means someone else will benefit from all the experience we give .

I find this a very strange one. Firstly the supposed 10 million offer. Never in a million years, no offence meant but he just isn't worth it, I'd rather keep Pennant.

Then this artcle today in your local.

Insua is the Liverpool player most likely to make the step up next season, he's a fantastic little player and has had kopites excited for the whole of last season.

Hobbs is far from a donkey, he's going to be a great defender when he matures, and with English players being at a premium will undoubtably bring in a significant sum if he doesn't make the first team.

Honest torres, i dont think Rafa has a clue how to win you lot the league , the players he's going after so he can mount a title challange , are not good enough .

he's had so much prem experience for a lad his age , silly to let him get all that with us then move him on when he's due to start comming good .

dont play these fucking youngsters if we are not going to keep them , just means someone else will benefit from all the experience we give .

How long more before he can put a decent cross in? Get rid if a decent offer comes in.

If the interest from Liverpool is genuine (which would be staggering), then I'd imagine we'll probably end up getting Riise and a bit of pocket change for Milner.

How long more before he can put a decent cross in? Get rid if a decent offer comes in.

If the interest from Liverpool is genuine (which would be staggering), then I'd imagine we'll probably end up getting Riise and a bit of pocket change for Milner.

i think its abit unfair to put james down like that , agree last season it was shocking the amount of times he beat his man only for a lousy cross to come in , but id be more worried if id never seen him put a decent cross in .

Honest torres, i dont think Rafa has a clue how to win you lot the league , the players he's going after so he can mount a title challange , are not good enough .

I think he will, but patience is the key. He has made great strides in his time here and is a fabulous manager. He can only spend what he`s given.

I think he will, but patience is the key. He has made great strides in his time here and is a fabulous manager. He can only spend what he`s given.

if he wants to win the league he shouldnt be buying players like milner, pennant, benayoun. If gerrard or torres were to get a serious injury for you next season and miss the majority of the season i dont think you will finish in the top 4

Exactly Torres.

Rafa is building, adding more quality each season, usually having to sell to buy for a large part of his budget.

With players of the quality of Reina, Skirtl, Agger, Mascherano, Alonso (hopefully) Babel, Lucas and Torres he has brought together the nucleus of a fine team. Add Carra and Gerrard and he's only looking to buy a few top quality players. That's where the standstill could come this season. With no money forthcoming it looks like Rafa will be shopping in the bargain basement instead of getting at least two of his first choices.

He'd rather have fast, forward thinking full backs than recognised wingers, so I'm not sure where Milner would fit in.

Exactly Torres.

Rafa is building, adding more quality each season, usually having to sell to buy for a large part of his budget.

With players of the quality of Reina, Skirtl, Agger, Mascherano, Alonso (hopefully) Babel, Lucas and Torres he has brought together the nucleus of a fine team. Add Carra and Gerrard and he's only looking to buy a few top quality players. That's where the standstill could come this season. With no money forthcoming it looks like Rafa will be shopping in the bargain basement instead of getting at least two of his first choices.

He'd rather have fast, forward thinking full backs than recognised wingers, so I'm not sure where Milner would fit in.

why cant you just admitt he is clueless

if he wants to win the league he shouldnt be buying players like milner, pennant, benayoun. If gerrard or torres were to get a serious injury for you next season and miss the majority of the season i dont think you will finish in the top 4

:yes

you would be up shit creek without gerrard or torres like .

and rafa rotates quality with shiite , thinks he has manu's squad , difference is there squad players would probably start for most prem teams , yours wouldnt .

you cant say he can only spend what he's given when he's spent 150million quid in 4 year(50-60mill back in?) . your no closer than with houlier .

Edited by Hadrian

and rafa rotates quality with shiite , thinks he has manu's squad , difference is there squad players would probably start for most prem teams , yours wouldnt .

you cant say he can only spend what he's given when he's spent 150million quid in 4 year(50-60mill back in?) . your no closer than with houlier .

We`re a far superior side to that of Houillier`s. I can say he can only spend what he`s given because it`s true. What we`ve spent is dwarfed by the scum and chelsea. We have 2 CL final appearances an FA cup Super cup and a CS to show for 4 years which is not bad considering the shit squad Rafa got from Ged. We now have a lot of quality and will improve. We`re not far off giving it a run imo. Suggesting we would finish outside the top 4 if we had a few injuries is rubbish.

As most teams would be shit without their top two players.

Rafa doesn't rotate his main players that much. Reina, Carra, Skirtl, Sami,Gerrard, Torres are rarely out unless injured and Mascherano is only rotated when he's been away to South America. There are many of our players who'd start for most Prem teams, but Manure do have a much better squad, obviously, they won the league. Are you saying that most of the above players wouldn't start in your team?

He's spent 20 million new money a season, the rest has been raised through player sales. Houllier didn't have us playing CL every season and the players he brought in after his illness were shit and he left a poor squad. He also had 6 years of trying.

Rafa doesn't rotate his main players that much. Reina, Carra, Skirtl, Sami,Gerrard, Torres are rarely out unless injured and Mascherano is only rotated when he's been away to South America. There are many of our players who'd start for most Prem teams, but Manure do have a much better squad, obviously, they won the league. Are you saying that most of the above players wouldn't start in your team?

He's spent 20 million new money a season, the rest has been raised through player sales. Houllier didn't have us playing CL every season and the players he brought in after his illness were shit and he left a poor squad. He also had 6 years of trying.

learn how to read spacker

:icon_lol:

I'll bow to your superior skill but have to say if most of their squad players would get in to other Prem teams then it says even more about the lousey quality of the rest of the Prem than first thought.

I'll accept, by your lack of answer, you were in agreement with the rest of my post.

Been there about 50 years alreaz ain't he??

I'll bow to your superior skill but have to say if most of their squad players would get in to other Prem teams then it says even more about the lousey quality of the rest of the Prem than first thought.

I'll accept, by your lack of answer, you were in agreement with the rest of my post.

yes the rest of the premiership is really bad. its not as if their squad players are nani, saha, scholes, giggs, foster, carrick, etc. who are all top quality players

:P