Anyone with a private number plate?

Guest BigThompers

Guest BigThompers
A spoiler DOES alter the performance of a car you fucking nonce!

You're fucking kidding right? You actually believe sticking a spoiler on the back of an Astra will do anything noticeable to it's performance? Fucking Hell Thompers that's dense... even for you.

an no it's not a novelty, it's a wankers cap. I bet you like those shitty little blue lights chavs put on their Corsa windscreen washers

Cock :D My Astra does 160mph, and that's standard, it's not 'sooped up' or 'modified'. Moron.

How often do you take it to the track?

Off to the nurburg ring in the near future as it happens. How is this relevant? I rarely stick to speed limits, like most people in any car tbh.

Because then it might be justified. If you were doing a long race where fuel efficiency and aerodynamics were critical to gaining you every second you can get.

If however you're doing 90 down the motorway with your window open it's a complete waste.

I know a few rather well off lads who pay to take their road cars out on tracks (TVRs generally like, not Astras) as well as build their own kit cars (caterham) for track days and that.

I also know a few kids that stick a spoiler on the likes of a Micra because they think it looks cool.

Just wondering which group you fall into.

If you think it looks cool, good luck to you by the way. I think my velcro shut trainers look cool and my dad has the opposite view. You try to be cool within your group of peers don't you, so a rear spoiler might make someone the coolest kid in the car park.

Does it look like it's had a spoiler 'stuck onto it'?

I love the way you think TVRs are so superior btw. I've probably got one of the best cars that I could afford to insure at my age and afford to maintain. If I could afford a TVR, I wouldn't have one.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigThompers
Dunromin.

Thompers, genuinely. Why do you want a personalised plate? and don't just say "to personalise my car" because that's a result of the plate, not the reason behind getting it.

Basically, I think a lot of private plates are shit. For a decent one that actually spells your name and looks like your name, you are usually looking at thousands.

However, with my name being Lee, the options for plates with the prefix L33 were vast, and they were selling for very little - so I thought I was getting very good value for money whereas somebody with the name Mike would pay a small fortune to get Mike on his plate...

Really? What are they now, a plastic I assume? Wonder why that came to pass

Black plastic ones for pre-1973 cars are still road legal, who knows for how long though.

In fairness in 90%+ of road car cases it does, but negatively. Usually front end modifications will do a better job of lowering your drag coefficient and/or increasing down pressure.

In some really bad cases not only does a rear spoiler increase your drag coefficient, but they also act as a wing if positioned incorrectly. :rip:

Just don't get me started on most oversized exhausts. :D:lol:

You're fucking kidding right? You actually believe sticking a spoiler on the back of an Astra will do anything noticeable to it's performance? Fucking Hell Thompers that's dense... even for you.

an no it's not a novelty, it's a wankers cap. I bet you like those shitty little blue lights chavs put on their Corsa windscreen washers

Cock :D My Astra does 160mph, and that's standard, it's not 'sooped up' or 'modified'. Moron.

Off to the nurburg ring in the near future as it happens. How is this relevant? I rarely stick to speed limits, like most people in any car tbh.

Because then it might be justified. If you were doing a long race where fuel efficiency and aerodynamics were critical to gaining you every second you can get.

If however you're doing 90 down the motorway with your window open it's a complete waste.

I know a few rather well off lads who pay to take their road cars out on tracks (TVRs generally like, not Astras) as well as build their own kit cars (caterham) for track days and that.

I also know a few kids that stick a spoiler on the likes of a Micra because they think it looks cool.

If you think it looks cool, good luck to you by the way. I think my velcro shut trainers look cool and my dad has the opposite view. You try to be cool within your group of peers don't you, so a rear spoiler might make someone the coolest kid in the car park.

I love the way you think TVRs are so superior btw. I've probably got one of the best cars that I could afford to insure at my age and afford to maintain. If I could afford a TVR, I wouldn't have one.

I never said they were better.

I haven't got a fucking clue about cars though.

Yours looks lovely. Doesn't look modified at all.

There's a load of lads in the carpark outside work at the moment though with 3 cars full to the brim of 4 or 5 people each. every window open (except the blacked out front and rear), 2 with sunroofs open.....and a spoiler 2 foot in the air on the back.

Cocks, right?

Guest BigThompers

There's a load of lads in the carpark outside work at the moment though with 3 cars full to the brim of 4 or 5 people each. every window open (except the blacked out front and rear), 2 with sunroofs open.....and a spoiler 2 foot in the air on the back.

Cocks, right?

Yep, or "biters" as I like to call them. They're the kind of people that like to try and race you :rip:

Dunromin.

Thompers, genuinely. Why do you want a personalised plate? and don't just say "to personalise my car" because that's a result of the plate, not the reason behind getting it.

Basically, I think a lot of private plates are shit. For a decent one that actually spells your name and looks like your name, you are usually looking at thousands.

However, with my name being Lee, the options for plates with the prefix L33 were vast, and they were selling for very little - so I thought I was getting very good value for money whereas somebody with the name Mike would pay a small fortune to get Mike on his plate...

You've answered a question there, but you haven't answered mine. Why did you want it? value for money's only important if you've already decided that you fancy it and are then seeing if you can afford it.

Guest BigThompers
Dunromin.

You've answered a question there, but you haven't answered mine. Why did you want it? value for money's only important if you've already decided that you fancy it and are then seeing if you can afford it.

Because I think they look good.

Oh and Fish, a spoiler is a mechanical improvement, you thick knows-nothing retard.

A mechanical "improvement" would have to alter the performance of the car... which a spoiler on the back of a Punto, does not. You thick knows-nothing retard. :lol:

Paint does serve a purpose so no, I wouldn't stop them painting them. :rolleyes:

as for people who get their names on the back of their shirt, I don't really care. I got my name on the back of my shirt when I was a kid and don't hold it against any kid who does the same. It's when you see 40 yr old blokes with "Geordies 4 Eva" that brings on an attack of the cringe. Charvzilla iyam

but please, tell me how cool it is to have a personalised plate, on your dead cool Astra, listening to a Kid Rock/James Blunt/Coldplay megamix wearing your "Fuk tha mackems" football shirt. I tingle with anticipation. :D

Thompers man stop digging yourself into a deeper hole. :rip:

A spoiler will effect a race-spec sports car or a formula one car, but on a standard road car it's effects are negligable...

Effectively prosthetic :)

Guest BigThompers
Oh and Fish, a spoiler is a mechanical improvement, you thick knows-nothing retard.

A mechanical "improvement" would have to alter the performance of the car... which a spoiler on the back of a Punto, does not. You thick knows-nothing retard. :)

Paint does serve a purpose so no, I wouldn't stop them painting them. :rolleyes:

as for people who get their names on the back of their shirt, I don't really care. I got my name on the back of my shirt when I was a kid and don't hold it against any kid who does the same. It's when you see 40 yr old blokes with "Geordies 4 Eva" that brings on an attack of the cringe. Charvzilla iyam

but please, tell me how cool it is to have a personalised plate, on your dead cool Astra, listening to a Kid Rock/James Blunt/Coldplay megamix wearing your "Fuk tha mackems" football shirt. I tingle with anticipation. :D

A spoiler will effect a race-spec sports car or a formula one car, but on a standard road car it's effects are negligable...

Effectively prosthetic :rolleyes:

No :lol: I didn't say OMG IT HAS A HUGE IMPACT!!!!1111ONEONEONE

A spoiler is a performance effecting modification, FACT.

SO FUCK OFF.

Like them? he's got them - fact

A mechanical "improvement" would have to alter the performance of the car... which a spoiler on the back of a Punto, does not. You thick knows-nothing retard. :rolleyes:

Effectively prosthetic B)

SO FUCK OFF.

What car we talking about here? Have you got a GT1 Porsche at your disposal? :)

Didn't think so... :rolleyes:

Cocks, right?

Yep, or "biters" as I like to call them. They're the kind of people that like to try and race you :rip:

Is that the petrol head term for them?

TVRs have got one of the most gorgeous engine notes of any road going car... Now that IS FACT! :D

Shame about how they got their name though - it's no acronym, it's just named after the bloke who started the company...... Trevor!

A mechanical "improvement" would have to alter the performance of the car... which a spoiler on the back of a Punto, does not. You thick knows-nothing retard. :)

SO FUCK OFF.

Again in 90+% of road cars it's at best a neutral thing and at worst a negatively effecting modification.

Very few have any real positive effect, and most that do are actually very small things and need speeds that are massively illegal to have any genuine effect.

Especially when you're talking about after market conversions, as the nearest they'll have been to a wind tunnel is the day after a serious curry, I do like the ones that function as wings though. B)

Sticking a spoiler on a standard (non-race spec) road car is about as effective as adding a postage stamp to some weighing scales... :D

Guest BigThompers

A mechanical "improvement" would have to alter the performance of the car... which a spoiler on the back of a Punto, does not. You thick knows-nothing retard. :rolleyes:

SO FUCK OFF.

Didn't think so... :rolleyes:

Clueless? I think so. Anyone who thinks you need a Porsche for a spoiler to have effect knows nothing.

Anyone who produces offspring as ugly as yours can't comment in a thread containing a car as beautiful as mine so fuck off.

Guest BigThompers

SO FUCK OFF.

Again in 90+% of road cars it's at best a neutral thing and at worst a negatively effecting modification.

Very few have any real positive effect, and most that do are actually very small things and need speeds that are massively illegal to have any genuine effect.

Especially when you're talking about after market conversions, as the nearest they'll have been to a wind tunnel is the day after a serious curry, I do like the ones that function as wings though. B)

No, more drivel.

A mechanical "improvement" would have to alter the performance of the car... which a spoiler on the back of a Punto, does not. You thick knows-nothing retard. :icon_lol:

SO FUCK OFF.

Didn't think so... :razz:

Clueless? I think so. Anyone who thinks you need a Porsche for a spoiler to have effect knows nothing.

Anyone who produces offspring as ugly as yours can't comment in a thread containing a car as beautiful as mine so fuck off.

Your comment about the Porsche show's your lack of automotive intellect seeing as you scanned right past the GT1 part of it :rolleyes:

And how the hell could you possibly know what my offspring look like? There's no pictures of them on here (or are you trying to wind Wacky up and getting him mixed up with me?).

What a tit you really are - and as for a 'beautiful' car??? You've got a fucking Vauxhall Ashtray man :rolleyes: :rolleyes: B)

SO FUCK OFF.

No, more drivel.

Completely true, most road cars simply don't move through the air efficiently enough to make rear spoilers effective, or indeed need rear down force all that much anyway.

Front aerodynamic changes are where it's at for most road cars, although again most after-market ones won't have been anywhere near a wind tunnel (and the really effective ones will be un-usable on most British roads).

It's basically the same lack of joined up engineering that can result in people putting huge end cans on without realising they may well be reducing their engines power output if they don't change the whole exhaust system (and maybe entire head) with it.

And like I said the worst ones are the suspended ones (i.e. the not flush to body ones) as they can all too easily end up functioning as a wing and lifting the rear end with the wrong positioning or angle.

Basically looks and sound are the main results of most modifications like that, not any real performance gain.