True Faith article.

Park Life

I share their schizoprenia - I think its sounds great to stop people like Barton and Smith being paid obscenely but on the other hand in the cliched real world we need to compete.

They start by towing the company line about spiralling wage costs and end by saying we need loads of players. :icon_lol:

They start off by saying that the press are reporting that we're looking to cut wages and then go on to say that in the past we've given big money to mediocre players and 'trophy signings' and then finish with the fact that we need new players in. Not the best written or most insightful piece in the world but what they say is true.

They start by towing the company line about spiralling wage costs and end by saying we need loads of players. :icon_lol:

They start off by saying that the press are reporting that we're looking to cut wages and then go on to say that in the past we've given big money to mediocre players and 'trophy signings' and then finish with the fact that we need new players in. Not the best written or most insightful piece in the world but what they say is true.

I agree it's true. But they end by saying we need loads of players, they can't have both clearly. :icon_lol:

For me it is imperative we compete in the market and take the financial pain now for the 2/3 first teamers that would make a difference. The cost cutting which looks to have started well won't show real benefits for a couple of years...There is no way we can tread water for that long.

I think it's a case of wage structure OR progress, I'm not sure both can be done at once, and I wonder if trying to do both at once might not work out worse than just concentrating on one or the other in the long term.

I agree it's true. But they end by saying we need loads of players, they can't have both clearly. :icon_lol:

For me it is imperative we compete in the market and take the financial pain now for the 2/3 first teamers that would make a difference. The cost cutting which looks to have started well won't show real benefits for a couple of years...There is no way we can tread water for that long.

I don't see for a second why you can't have both.

For every player we bring in on a good value £50k, there are 2 in the squad (or recently sold) who were grossly overvalued in receiving that much cash.

I think it's a case of wage structure OR progress, I'm not sure both can be done at once, and I wonder if trying to do both at once might not work out worse than just concentrating on one or the other in the long term.

Players we seemingly want to attract need to see ambition ie purchases of other good players. They need not all be stellar names either, but solid proof that the club is moving forward.

Good players aren't going to be interested by a lot of speil about rebuilding and strategies that might take 5 years to bear fruit.

That should be one of the benefits of having a super-rich owner. As you say, if we invested substantial sums in the right players now we could get back into Europe which would of course increase income and make us more attractive to potential signings. As a business this is a big risk and you only have to look at Leeds to see how they got it wrong but we have a safety net of a billionaire, though whether he is prepared to take that risk remains to be seen.

The thing is, we are in no position geographically or competitively where we can offer low wages to good players to tempt them to come. It is a fact of todays market that if we are to tempt players away from London based clubs, we need to offer them something in return for not being in the capital. As we cannot offer European football, we need to tempt them with cash otherwise we are going to see bid after bid turned down.

Unless this is an exercise to stop agents trying to squeeze silly money out of us, I can see it being another long season ahead

Difficukt to judge the article just off that really.

I'd have thought you'd have read it already. :icon_lol:

what leg have we to stand on when its being reported that the likes of adebayor and robinho earn around 35-45kpw ? , the list go's on .

we do need lots of new players , our wage budget has been to high .

still blame mort and allerdyce for that like , they did stick millions on last year by bringing in 9 players on more wages here than they could dream of anywhere else .

They start by towing the company line about spiralling wage costs and end by saying we need loads of players. :lol:

I'd have thought you'd have read it already. :blush:

Aye. I read every single article in every single Toon fanzine. Soopafan.

I've always thought they just write for effect.

The latest offering [ based on what I'm reading here because I don't read it anymore and stopped buying it ages ago] seems pretty par for the course.

One minute slating the board for spending, then moaning that we need to spend.

Oh dear.

Paully's articles were excellent mind, as were the rock and dole years.

They start by towing the company line about spiralling wage costs and end by saying we need loads of players. :lol:

do you read mine :D

Mate can you active my account, can't seem to get on. :P

No.

?

No.

bugger off then

No.

bugger off then

No.

?

On HWT. You've got my e mail address you sent me one a few weeks ago iirc.

?

On HWT. You've got my e mail address you sent me one a few weeks ago iirc.

I'll pm you on here now.