Privatise the NHS

ChezGiven

OP

Now, this begs the question, isn’t it time to privatise the NHS and introduce a system of insurance that people can choose?

I'm saying no to that.

Nice selective posting, entirely ignoring most of the rest of this thread and recent 'real world' events. :angry:

There was Trevor MacDonald tonight thing on Monday btw which actually described the ethical dilemma in prescribing Avastin (for colon cancer) quite well; it showed the point of view of cancer sufferers, cancer charities, the drug company (evil Roche iirc), and NICE. Did you see it? Would Avastin be available under the NHS if you had your way, or conversely would it be fairer to let no-one have it?

I did say "the WHOLE debate is moot" in response to no-one in particular - and with a wink. Can't see why I'm being picked up on not relating it to a specific point five months down the line.

I didn't see it I'm afraid.

Chez, i know "Its a mix of funding between, government, employers and individuals throughout Europe." but when it comes down to it, isn't the main difference between, say, France and the UK that they just spend more on their public system than we do on ours?

In terms of % GDP.

The massive increases in healthcare expenditure over the last 5 years in the UK have brought it in line with France, Germany etc in terms of % of GDP. About 9%.

It was about 3% below average 8 years ago.

I thought we were still below average...

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/334/7591/442

...but that's over a year old.

Apologies for googling something Renton. I see this sort of stuff as an opportunity to learn something though. :(

I think you're probably right about it being largely down to a funding gap. Even if that funding gap isn't there now it's more about all the years it was there. I also think it's probably a bit late to just throw money at the problem now though.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 million uninsured is a measure of the fairness of the system not efficiency.

Would GSK be interested in getting into a niche heathcare insurance product?

You see I realise the underlying debate ain't about band aids it's about the allocation and supply of more exotic drugs.

I would suggest GSK deliver an insurance product as an add on to supply special and expensive drugs if needed by the client.

Any good?

Isn't that in essence what is being proposed/becoming reality???? :angry:

Yes. (just by insurance co's though - see link from when i bumped)

If they're up for it let them have a go. And no limits on cover and no transfer out into the NHS core and Govt Subsidies and no crying into beer..... :(

OP

Now, this begs the question, isn’t it time to privatise the NHS and introduce a system of insurance that people can choose?

I'm saying no to that.

Nice selective posting, entirely ignoring most of the rest of this thread and recent 'real world' events. :angry:

There was Trevor MacDonald tonight thing on Monday btw which actually described the ethical dilemma in prescribing Avastin (for colon cancer) quite well; it showed the point of view of cancer sufferers, cancer charities, the drug company (evil Roche iirc), and NICE. Did you see it? Would Avastin be available under the NHS if you had your way, or conversely would it be fairer to let no-one have it?

I did say "the WHOLE debate is moot" in response to no-one in particular - and with a wink. Can't see why I'm being picked up on not relating it to a specific point five months down the line.

Chez, i know "Its a mix of funding between, government, employers and individuals throughout Europe." but when it comes down to it, isn't the main difference between, say, France and the UK that they just spend more on their public system than we do on ours?

In terms of % GDP.

The massive increases in healthcare expenditure over the last 5 years in the UK have brought it in line with France, Germany etc in terms of % of GDP. About 9%.

Apologies for googling something Renton. I see this sort of stuff as an opportunity to learn something though. :(

A year old and data up to 2004 on spending as far as i can see. The spending trend has continued.

OHE is funded by the pharma industry by the way.

OP

I'm saying no to that.

In terms of % GDP.

A year old and data up to 2004 on spending as far as i can see. The spending trend has continued.

Still between 8 and 9 per cent of GDP according to the Telegraph a couple of months back. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/article3081376.ece

The BBC had it under 8% this year too http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7487834.stm

Isn't france pushing 11%. I've no idea what the European average is currently sitting at. I can't find anything to say the UK met or surpassed it in the last 4 years tyhough.

I'm not sure of your point here.

OP

I'm saying no to that.

In terms of % GDP.

Apologies for googling something Renton. I see this sort of stuff as an opportunity to learn something though. <_<

Still between 8 and 9 per cent of GDP according to the Telegraph a couple of months back. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/article3081376.ece

The BBC had it under 8% this year too http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7487834.stm

Isn't france pushing 11%. I've no idea what the European average is currently sitting at. I can't find anything to say the UK met or surpassed it in the last 4 years tyhough.

France is pushing 11% if not more but over 20% of the funding is private.

My last point was just for info (although you may choose not to believe what the OHE produces as it has links to industry - that would be daft though :( )

OP

I'm saying no to that.

In terms of % GDP.

Apologies for googling something Renton. I see this sort of stuff as an opportunity to learn something though. :naughty:

France is pushing 11% if not more but over 20% of the funding is private.

My last point was just for info (although you may choose not to believe what the OHE produces as it has links to industry - that would be daft though :( )

Oh, alright, seems odd that you'd make that point to me when I've never said the pharma industry shouldn't be involved.

I'm willing to accept that a pharmaceutical company can make profits

<_<

The idea that someone working in the profession knows better and can't be debated on the issue is wrong if you ask me. Working for a private paharmaceutical company doesn't make you the authority on private healthcare, no doubt it arms you with all the arguments for that side of the debate, but it's like saying a British citizen can't debate an al qaeda operative on the merits of suicide attacks on the west, as they don't blow themself up.

If only Fop would 'debate' :flowers:

I do, but people don't like it (including yourself when you disagree). :(

But I agree with you here (I think). I stilll think you're vague on the main issue, fixated on small points that derail the deiscussion, sarky, unable to expand on a 'point' you feel you've made, unable to even clarify what you feel you might have already stated and generally argumentative. As you are in all threads you get involved with.

I enjoyed having a back and forth with Chez in this thread, he clearly believes in his opinion which I can respect even though it differs with mine, because he's willing to explain where he's coming from, doesn't dodge a question that's put to him and takes on board a well made opposing view.

Once it got down to tit for tat between you and Rents I pretty much lost interest.

But only because you disagreed with him. :angry:

Perfect example

Only what?

Disagreed with who?

See chance to start an argument with me and you're all over it no matter how tit for tat and utterly boring. <_< (anyway amuse yourself for a few hours now :fool:)

By contrast, Fop the picture of restraint by leaving all posts well alone :naughty:

Yup. :o

The idea that someone working in the profession knows better and can't be debated on the issue is wrong if you ask me. Working for a private paharmaceutical company doesn't make you the authority on private healthcare, no doubt it arms you with all the arguments for that side of the debate, but it's like saying a British citizen can't debate an al qaeda operative on the merits of suicide attacks on the west, as they don't blow themself up.

If only Fop would 'debate' :naughty:

But I agree with you here (I think). I stilll think you're vague on the main issue, fixated on small points that derail the deiscussion, sarky, unable to expand on a 'point' you feel you've made, unable to even clarify what you feel you might have already stated and generally argumentative. As you are in all threads you get involved with.

I enjoyed having a back and forth with Chez in this thread, he clearly believes in his opinion which I can respect even though it differs with mine, because he's willing to explain where he's coming from, doesn't dodge a question that's put to him and takes on board a well made opposing view.

Once it got down to tit for tat between you and Rents I pretty much lost interest.

Perfect example

Only what?

Disagreed with who?

See chance to start an argument with me and you're all over it no matter how tit for tat and utterly boring. <_< (anyway amuse yourself for a few hours now :flowers:)

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=544117

What a hypocrite.

He is, I agree. :fool:

I think whatever else (and people can argue til they're blue in the face on here) it's clear that Fop is an incorrigible hypocrite.

I say incorrigible quite deliberately, as I think he genuinely doesnt see it himself and speculate that this might be due to some form of mental incapacity.

Physician, heal thyself. :angry:

If only Fop would 'debate' :naughty:

Perfect example

Only what?

Disagreed with who?

See chance to start an argument with me and you're all over it no matter how tit for tat and utterly boring. <_< (anyway amuse yourself for a few hours now :fool:)

You didn't answer the questions.

Textbook

See you're still trying it. :o:flowers:

If only Fop would 'debate' :angry:

Fop believes that the economy, social welfare, GDP have some sort of impact on the ability of an economy to introduce private resource allocation mechanisms into healthcare, without explaining the macro- or more importantly micro-economic dynamics that support this. I've highlighted nobel prize winning economists that have outlined the key factors in determining how this all works. Thats the authority i would use in a debate with someone uninformed.

How i earn my salary is irrelevant. Its thanks to Parky that it has become an issue as he pointed it out in this thread. I find the notion that i would post something on a football forum that merely reflected the commercial interests of my employers offensive, stupid, crass and pathetic. In that order too.

And don't forget true. :(

Aimed at Rob, Leazes or both? :angry:

Leazes is class when he comes on pissed anyway and calls everyone a 'cunt'.

Spot on. It was deliberately left as an 'open letter', but you can add Fop to the list too.

Hilarious how they profess some of the strongest opinions on here but time and again fold under cross examination from someone with any actual expertise in a subject.

No coincidence either that these are all too scared to admit what they do in their professional life.

what does "what they do in their professional life" have to do with who is making a correct comment and who isn't ?

Fact is that Renton is a dick for the simple reason that anybody who disagrees with him is instantly deemed to "lack intelligence/be a thick cunt/uneducated.....blah blah, delete as appropriate.

Most of us have been around a bit, some have their heads in the sand, some don't.

FOP appears pretty confident he knows more than rent boy regarding what is being discussed in this thread, so who's to say he is wrong ?

What is indisputable is that Renton knows fuck all about football, especially compared to me.

See that's quite funny, because in the majority of cases I've agreed with you with regard to what happens on a football pitch, in the past you have even claimed words to the effect that I was the most clued up on the board with the exception of your good self. But because I disagreed with you about Shepherd, suddenly I know nothing. So what does that say about you?

Anyway, you may have noticed this isn't a football thread, so please don't try and derail it. It's also one of the few threads I have bothered to post in in General chat even, precisely because it is relevant to my present career, but also is pertinent to what I want to do in the future. I've stated what I do (pretty much drug evaluation most of the time), yourself and Fop haven't.

So, are you seriously saying what a person does for a living should have no bearing on the likelihood of their opinion being at least factually correct, and are you saying a google merchant wum like Fop should be treated seriously, even when it is clear (surely to any 'neutral') he has no knowledge of what he is talking about, and continuously ducks questions whilst accusing others of doing the same (does that sound familiar btw?). Take his response to Chez in post 447 - that would be sad even by your standards.

Anyway, your problem always has been you have a massive chip on your shoulder, it seems to be eating away at you and turning you borderline sociopathic. Oh, and once again, you should check who is making the insults in this thread, try and find when was the last time I called someone a thick cunt while you're at it. In a way it's a pity you can't find something to argue about with Fop, you would most probably both disappear in a non-ending circular thread, disappearing up your own arseholes for all eternity. :(

Clever lad is back. It hasn't been the same without you. Chip on my shoulder ? I think not, dear chap. As has been said, you don't know what I do either or anything about me. So use your own super intelligence and ask yourself who is insulting who now.

What has been the reason for your disappearance ? Have you disappeared up someone's arsehole or something too ?

Whatever. Strange how this board has been free of the old clique type aura, and now all of a sudden its back on account of you pontificating on about people being inferior to you.

Chip on the shoulder perhaps ?

Your first post on this thread to me was the same as always, antagonistic bollocks. A 50 year old man, spoiling for a fight on the internet ffs, give your head a shake. You're certainly not mellowing with age, you're just the stubborn angry donkey you've always been. <_<

Tell you what leazes, do us both a favour and just ignore me from now, eh? After all, I had no intention of ever talking with you again until you forced the issue.

whatever.

Whats my age got to do with it Renton lad ......... anybody from about 12 years old can spot a clever dick a mile away, your insistence that anybody who disagrees with you is a thick twat is probably as childish as it comes in itself and you don't even spot the irony

I do remember once when you got something right, its a few years ago though and I agreed with you, maybe it was saying how good Craig Bellamy was. Well done.

whatever.

Whats my age got to do with it Renton lad ......... anybody from about 12 years old can spot a clever dick a mile away, your insistence that anybody who disagrees with you is a thick twat is probably as childish as it comes in itself and you don't even spot the irony

I do remember once when you got something right, its a few years ago though and I agreed with you, maybe it was saying how good Craig Bellamy was. Well done.

:angry:

Fuck me, irony indeed. Why don't you look in the mirror occasionally yourself?

Don't think it was about Bellamy Leazes, I never rated him to the point of obsession like you have. Actually one occasion I specifically remember was about Souness - you know, the time after you thought he was a good manager.

whatever.

Don't think it was about Bellamy Leazes, I never rated him to the point of obsession like you have. Actually one occasion I specifically remember was about Souness - you know, the time after you thought he was a good manager.

haha, you're wrong.

Anyway - see you can't help yourself can you. Smart or not ?

:(

whatever.

haha, you're wrong.

And neither can you, indeed it seems you want the first and last word, as usual. <_<

Anyhow, seriously, I'll let things drop if you will, how's that? Life's too short.

whatever.

haha, you're wrong.

And neither can you, indeed it seems you want the first and last word, as usual. <_<

Anyhow, seriously, I'll let things drop if you will, how's that? Life's too short.

is there any reason you have that gay looking bloke as your avatar

whatever.

haha, you're wrong.

<_<

And neither can you, indeed it seems you want the first and last word, as usual. :naughty:

is there any reason you have that gay looking bloke as your avatar

Oy, that's a photo of me you cheeky tw*t! :angry:

If only Fop would 'debate' :flowers:

Perfect example

Only what?

Disagreed with who?

What a hypocrite.

He is, I agree. :o

Ah, the inevitable 'I know he is, but what am I?' Which is basically something you'd expect to hear in the first school playground. Not unexpected from you though following on from this:

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=542499

Which is essentially 'I made you look, I made you stare, I made you lose your underwear'.

:naughty:

This thread is an absolute gem btw.

Are you sure the old clique type aura doesn't spoil it? :angry:

Oh God - he'll be on about the Freemason's & the jews shortly...........

This thread is an absolute gem btw.

Are you sure the old clique type aura doesn't spoil it? :angry:

Oh God - he'll be on about the Freemason's & the jews shortly...........

which of those do you have a grudge against

If only Fop would 'debate' :o

I do, but people don't like it (including yourself when you disagree). <_<

But only because you disagreed with him. :(

Perfect example

Only what?

Disagreed with who?

See chance to start an argument with me and you're all over it no matter how tit for tat and utterly boring. :naughty: (anyway amuse yourself for a few hours now :D)

What a hypocrite.

He is, I agree. :rolleyes:

Ah, the inevitable 'I know he is, but what am I?' Which is basically something you'd expect to hear in the first school playground. Not unexpected from you though following on from this:

Which is essentially 'I made you look, I made you stare, I made you lose your underwear'.

:fool:

As Manc-Foplite is to me, I am to you. :angry::flowers:

Role on the money...

"An HIV-positive man has been left free of the infection, almost two years after undergoing a bone marrow transplant."

Link

No money in bone marrow, ban it quick!!!! :(

If only Fop would 'debate' :o

I do, but people don't like it (including yourself when you disagree). <_<

But only because you disagreed with him. :(

Perfect example

Only what?

Disagreed with who?

See chance to start an argument with me and you're all over it no matter how tit for tat and utterly boring. :naughty: (anyway amuse yourself for a few hours now :D)

What a hypocrite.

He is, I agree. :rolleyes:

:fool:

As Manc-Foplite is to me, I am to you. :angry::flowers:

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but you're the one with the nickname for me. Flattering as it is.