What is the crappiest city you've visited in England?

Torres

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now call me a cynic but I think that some of the opinions offered in this thread aren't exactly 100% objective.

I still don't really get these discussions. If any big city is considered a "dive" then surely all the other ones are because a large proportion of each big city isn't very nice. Is Newcastle a "dive" because of areas like Byker, Walker etc and all the chavs? That's what you get in all big cities. When you rate a big city you rate it on how attractive you find the city centre, the facilities, entertainment and it's all very subjective. That said, I've never heard anyone say Bradford is a nice city - is even the city centre run down then (because you certainly can't say that for Newcastle)?

Now call me a cynic but I think that some of the opinions offered in this thread aren't exactly 100% objective.

Mine is..

Stokes a shitehole.

Not considering moving there any more then? ;)

I still don't really get these discussions. If any big city is considered a "dive" then surely all the other ones are because a large proportion of each big city isn't very nice. Is Newcastle a "dive" because of areas like Byker, Walker etc and all the chavs? That's what you get in all big cities. When you rate a big city you rate it on how attractive you find the city centre, the facilities, entertainment and it's all very subjective. That said, I've never heard anyone say Bradford is a nice city - is even the city centre run down then (because you certainly can't say that for Newcastle)?

There are some very nice bits of Bradford - particularly towards Shipley/Saltaire.

There are some very nice bits of Bradford - particularly towards Shipley/Saltaire.

I'll take your word for it as I've never been there after all. Newcastle is full of rough areas but I still think it's a "nice" city, so why Birmingham, Bristol etc can't be also is what I'm wondering. ;)

There is a pub in/on the way to Shipley, think its called The Park, always had top class totty in.

Also nice scenery if you take Great Horton Road out of town towards Halifax.

On the whole, pretty shit though.

The thing with Stoke is, you have to live there to realise that it is a nice quiet place.

I lived there for two and a half years, I did move back to Newcastle after that, but I never found it boring or rough.

Saying that I was only 13 when we moved there, so you never know.

Shipleys ok and yes the road from the A1 to Shipley and through Otley etc is very nice.

But I couldnt live there, visiting a couple of times a month for work is enough for me.