Souness and the Sack

LeazesMag

Last 4 games, no goals conceded, 4 scored, 8 points gained......

..... of course its on results, and our results are improving.

And that was without..... Owen, Bramble, Dyer, Luque, Solano and Emre. In fact, apart from Parker our entire first team midfield is out injured.

Not bad under the circumstances, but I guess never will be good enough for the whiners.

42555[/snapback]

Did you watch any of those games? Because if you did you would know that, first half against Man City excepted, we were completely shit and very fortunate to get more than 3 points.

You've just proved how well Souness has lowered expectations - this shit we are forced to endure is good enough for you and if you disagree you are then a whiner. :lol:

42556[/snapback]

Lowered expectations, no trophies since 1955 (apart from Fairs cup), what expectations should I have??? I call it realism, the result of supporting NUFC pre Keegan.

Yeah, and I hate watching Chelsea but they win. If its all about entertainment, get a ticket for the panto.

Edited by NewJerseyMag

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that was without..... Owen, Bramble, Dyer, Luque, Solano and Emre. In fact, apart from Parker our entire first team midfield is out injured.

Not bad under the circumstances, but I guess never will be good enough for the whiners.

42555[/snapback]

Did you watch any of those games? Because if you did you would know that, first half against Man City excepted, we were completely shit and very fortunate to get more than 3 points.

You've just proved how well Souness has lowered expectations - this shit we are forced to endure is good enough for you and if you disagree you are then a whiner. :lol:

42556[/snapback]

Lowered expectations, no trophies since 1955 (apart from Fairs cup), what expectations should I have??? I call it realism, the result of supporting NUFC pre Keegan.

Yeah, and I hate watching Chelsea but they win. If its all about entertainment, get a ticket for the panto.

42557[/snapback]

Second best supported team in the league - FACT.

Of course we can't compete with Chelsea - no-one can. But we should at least be able to compete with the rest. In reality we are a million miles away.

Is it unreasonable to expect some improvement after spending £40 million??? And as for entertainment, are you seriously saying it doesn't matter? Do you think it is the duty of the fans to fork out substantial amounts of their salaries to be bored shitless? Can we not expect some flair and some attacking football, at least at home?

Don't bother answering. I know you think it is the paying fans fault we are shit and nothing to do with Souness. This, of course, from your vantage point 3000 miles away across the Atlantic.

42555[/snapback]

amazing long range telescope you have for such a short sighted view

42555[/snapback]

42555[/snapback]

42556[/snapback]

precisely. If he spent his hard cash going to games instead of sitting at home watching it with a bottle of bud and a packet of popcorn he may think differently ........

Can't get over this judgement that Luque is an important player, having played 2 bitty games in the premiership mind you, must be because he's a foreigner, cost a lot of money, or both

42555[/snapback]

42556[/snapback]

42557[/snapback]

is this when Souness will finally be trashed ?

42555[/snapback]

42572[/snapback]

Do you ever change the record?

Its easy and lazy to moan without providing any solutions. I see we won a great deal with god knows how many managers in the last 30 years and you propose more of the same?

Of course, you for manager, the obvious choice, a self proclaimed expert.

42555[/snapback]

42572[/snapback]

Do you ever change the record?

Its easy and lazy to moan without providing any solutions. I see we won a great deal with god knows how many managers in the last 30 years and you propose more of the same?

Of course, you for manager, the obvious choice, a self proclaimed expert.

42617[/snapback]

An obvious start would have been not to appoint fuckwit at all

The next obvious start would have been to sack him last October

The next obvious start would have been to sack him in December

etc etc

All of these points made, at the time, not just by me.

IMO the opinions of those say keep Souness who don't sit through and watch the complete dirge is the biggest broken record of all

Do you see my sig ?

It signifies not just the game in question, but the complete demise of a once great football club, in front of the whole world watching on sky, and the ascendance of the team who looked like their likely successors.

After decades of losing to the scousers, we turned the tables on them. Not in one defeat in one day, but the whole scenario. Their time at the top was over. We were above them, we had a better team for the first time since the 1950's.

And we let them know it.

And who was their manager ? Yes, 30,000 geordies sang "Souness for Sunderland". Having witnessed a fair amount of humilations at their hands, this day was and will always be one of my best ever days as a Newcastle supporter.

Absolutely fantastic.

And the geordies who sang it, if you had told any one of them that one day this idiot would be in charge of our football club, yes OUR football club, and even ONE fan would support him, they would never have believed you.

Obsessed tbh.

42822[/snapback]

Alex, you're right. But 'good on him' is what I say.

LM is passionate about his loathing of Souness and I think he is just showing his passion on these pages.

Whether he is right or wrong we don't know, but he believes - with a passion - that Souness is taking this club downwards and he is demonstrating this on here.

Without LM's posts on Souness, this forum would be a far sadder place imo.

Keep on keepin' on LM - right or wrong.

Obsessed tbh.

42822[/snapback]

LM is passionate about his loathing of Souness and I think he is just showing his passion on these pages.

Whether he is right or wrong we don't know, but he believes - with a passion - that Souness is taking this club downwards and he is demonstrating this on here.

42862[/snapback]

I agree, I like Leazes. Unlike the other two stooges (where is UM and HTL btw?) you can have a bit of banter with him. He is obsessed though. I wonder if he's seen this new smiley yet

:lol:

Edited by alex

Obsessed tbh.

42822[/snapback]

42862[/snapback]

I agree, I like Leazes. Unlike the other two stooges (where is UM and HTL btw?) you can have a bit of banter with him. He is obsessed though. I wonder if he's seen this new smiley yet

42877[/snapback]

It was pointed out to him the other day, but I can't recall if he commented!

Obsessed tbh.

42822[/snapback]

42862[/snapback]

:huh:

42877[/snapback]

Hey, am I not a stooge? :lol:

Thing is, I don't think the argument can be taken any further now without waiting to see what happens over time. Souness is not going anywhere, I have reluctantly accepted that. I have always thought he was a terrible appointment and said so from the very start and I'm confident (although not happy) eventually I'll be proven right. But I know I can't change anyone elses opinion on it.

Thing is, is it just me, or is nufc just plain boring at the moment? I can't even muster any vague excitement before the match now - to me this is Souness's greatest crime - we have become almost unwatchable. I'm worried that I won't even be 'up' for the mackem match and that my malaise is terminal tbh.

I know exactly what you mean mate there's definitely an air of antipathy at the match. Hopefully the Mackem game will be different though.

Hey, am I not a stooge?  :lol:

Thing is, I don't think the argument can be taken any further now without waiting to see what happens over time. Souness is not going anywhere, I have reluctantly accepted that. I have always thought he was a terrible appointment and said so from the very start and I'm confident (although not happy) eventually I'll be proven right. But I know I can't change anyone elses opinion on it.

Thing is, is it just me, or is nufc just plain boring at the moment? I can't even muster any vague excitement before the match now - to me this is Souness's greatest crime - we have become almost unwatchable. I'm worried that I won't even be 'up' for the mackem match and that my malaise is terminal tbh.

42887[/snapback]

You'll be able to get up for the Mackem match no probs. The fear on our behalf will be enough. Fear that our shitness will be rubber-stamped by the unwashed.

Hey, am I not a stooge?  :lol:

42887[/snapback]

You'll be able to get up for the Mackem match no probs. The fear on our behalf will be enough. Fear that our shitness will be rubber-stamped by the unwashed.

42891[/snapback]

if this is the case then souness's head will roll imo

Obsessed tbh.

42822[/snapback]

42862[/snapback]

42877[/snapback]

LOL...cheers both of you .......

I may hate Souness but don't recall starting many threads apart from the 2 recent ones. Saw the smiley too....can I copyright that as well ?

Renton agrees with me as well !

Edited by LeazesMag

Do you see my sig ?

It signifies not just the game in question, but the complete demise of a once great football club, in front of the whole world watching on sky, and the ascendance of the team who looked like their likely successors.

After decades of losing to the scousers, we turned the tables on them. Not in one defeat in one day, but the whole scenario. Their time at the top was over. We were above them, we had a better team for the first time since the 1950's.

And we let them know it.

And who was their manager ? Yes, 30,000 geordies sang "Souness for Sunderland". Having witnessed a fair amount of humilations at their hands, this day was and will always be one of my best ever days as a Newcastle supporter.

Absolutely fantastic.

And the geordies who sang it, if you had told any one of them that one day this idiot would be in charge of our football club, yes OUR football club, and even ONE fan would support him, they would never have believed you.

42622[/snapback]

I remember the game, I was in the Leazes and Cole got a hatrick in the Gallowgate within a short space of time.

Maybe the demise of Liverpool was down to Souness, although maybe it was just the end of their dominance, the start of a new era born of the Premier League and Sky. The same could now be said of Manure today now Chelsea are on the rise, does that make Fergie useless?

My point is we have changed managers way too frequently over the years with no success born from these changes. That suggests not the managers being the core problem but something else more complex with the running of the club. If it were as simple as changing manangers then surely a couple out of the dozens we have had would have won something.

Edited by NewJerseyMag

Do you see my sig ?

And we let them know it.

Absolutely fantastic.

42622[/snapback]

I remember the game, I was in the Leazes and Cole got a hatrick in the Gallowgate within a short space of time.

Maybe the demise of Liverpool was down to Souness, although maybe it was just the end of their dominance, the start of a new era born of the Premier League and Sky. The same could now be said of Manure today now Chelsea are on the rise, does that make Fergie useless?

My point is we have changed managers way too frequently over the years with no success born from these changes. That suggests not the managers being the core problem but something else more complex with the running of the club. If it were as simple as changing manangers then surely a couple out of the dozens we have had would have won something.

43072[/snapback]

The core running of the club changed in 1992.

Since then we have operated in a different league entirely to what we did before that.

We may have won nothing since 1992, but such a period and utter stagnation that we suffered for nearly 40 years before that doesn't change overnight. So you should really count only the last 4 managers, or 5 including the current one in the context of "something more wrong with the club", or "changing managers too often", the last 5 managers have all been given the opportunity to be successful. None of the others were, and it's to Joe Harveys eternal credit he won the Fairs Cup with the utterly shite board he worked under. The same as all the other managers who gave us a taste of success, Gordon Lee building the team that finished 5th, and Arthur Cox re-building the club on a shoestring after the McGarry [fuckwit number 1] years too. This limited success was achieved in spite of having a shower of shite in the boardroom.

For me, going PLC destroyed the club that Keegan built because Keegan went with it. We were a proper football club, run and managed like a proper football club, for those brief 5 years. And it all stemmed from Keegan, ably backed up by his chairman. The walk out after the Swindon game was the best thing Keegan ever did, because from that point on he had made his ambition and determinaton not to settle for 2nd best apparent to everyone, and when Sir John realised he had the right man he never questioned him again.

I don't think "continuity" in Souness case is an issue at all. He's the wrong man, so shouldn't be here. Get the right man, or the man you think is the right man, and give him time. We stuck with Bobby Robson through the first few years because in spite of having a fairly sticky time he had the pedigree behind him and you could still sense he knew what he was doing. But he lost his way in the end. He was 72 !!

When we sacked Bobby Robson last year, we should have stuck with Carver, or someone as a temp boss while taking our time waiting for the right man. The same scenario and solution applies now. There is never a bad time to sack a shite manager, or to appoint the right manager either !

I would go with the fact that Dalglish and Gullit were not given time, given the criteria above, even though I was not over struck with Gullit personally, although there were not too many discerning voices when they both went.

Edited by LeazesMag

i agree with a fair bit of your post LM(esp the swindon walk out bit)but i wonder how much the plc forced KK out.looking back now a lot of peope think he was right to go when he did,but with all the thanks in the world for what he done for us.

we didn't "stick" with robson through a sticky time the first couple of years,he massivly changed us straight away(guillits team was a team capable of finishing top 6 and pushing on),as for dalglish's team,i wonder if shearer and asprilla hadn't got longterm injuries what would have happenend ?(he brought in hamman,solano,given,dabizas)

souness has brought in,what looks on paper some very good players,i want to watch that team a few times before casting him and them out.

i agree with a fair bit of your post LM(esp the swindon walk out bit)but i wonder how much the plc forced KK out.looking back now a lot of peope think he was right to go when he did,but with all the thanks in the world for what he done for us.

we didn't "stick" with robson through a sticky time the first couple of years,he massivly changed us straight away(guillits team was a team capable of finishing top 6 and pushing on),as for dalglish's team,i wonder if shearer and asprilla hadn't got longterm injuries what would have happenend ?(he brought in hamman,solano,given,dabizas)

souness has brought in,what looks  on paper some very good players,i want to watch that team a few times before casting him and them out.

43134[/snapback]

Bobby Robson got us out of the relegation zone and up to mid table. Then we treaded water for a few years until he bought Bellamy and Robert !

Gullits team - well you can compare it with Souness'....in a way...."good" players but a shite man manager.. which is why we were struggling....until he was replaced by a proper manager...this is the point myself and others are making .......

As for Arsprilla....he's the same as Kluivert, a waste of space twat who was not interested in playing for the club very much. Which showed in his lack of desire on the pitch on too many occasions. And yes, before anyone comments, Arsprilla had his golden moment as did Kluivert but football is more than that.

It makes me smile when people castigate Bellamy for "walking out of training" because he was unhappy with the manager wanting to play him out of position, or sub him when he was the best player on the field, or with his overall idea of how he wanted to play for the best interests of the club, then the same people have nothing but good words for wankers like Arsprilla who went onto the pitch when it mattered and didn't bother turning up at all ...............

And as for "on paper". Well Kluivert was good "on paper", as were plenty of others like Gui'varch, Maric, Marcelino, Dumas, Andersson, Gavilan, Bassedas, Viana, Faye, Babayaro, to mention a few.

I also think that Kevin Keegan leaving Newcastle is the biggest mistake he ever made, the same as Craig Bellamy.

And no, I'm not arguing with you mate ..........

I was watching a Football show and the topic of Newcastle's injury issues came up - they said the word from your people was, the sand or gravel or material if you may that the players train on is the cause of these injures. The pundits were laughing saying they couldnt fathom 4 players getting hamgstring injuries due to the pitch they train on.

Anyway, it seems very weird to me.