EPL Twenty20 league to start in 2010 - Official

smoggeordie

A new Twenty20 English Premier League starting in 2010 has been announced by the England and Wales Cricket Board.

There will be two divisions of 10 teams which will feature the 18 existing counties plus two overseas teams.

The ECB rejected a controversial and radical proposal by David Stewart and Keith Bradshaw which would have left out half of the counties.

The Pro40 will be scrapped after 2009, allowing for a total overhaul of club cricket in England.

ECB chairman Giles Clarke said: "I am delighted that the board unanimously supported these creative proposals.

"I would like to congratulate everyone for their hard work and thank those who went to considerable time and trouble to produce documents for discussion."

The board took the decisions having studied detailed market research which demonstrated a spectator desire to watch more Twenty20 cricket.

The EPL will be staged in June while there will be a Twenty20 League, replacing the Pro40, in July, August and September and will be played primarily on Friday nights.

Although the ECB rejected Stewart and Bradshaw's franchise idea, it did take on board some of their funding proposals.

Surrey chairman Stewart said: "These are extremely exciting and satisfying proposals for the future of domestic cricket in England and Wales. I am delighted to support them.

"They incorporate some excellent ideas and Keith Bradshaw (MCC chief executive) and I were delighted to be able to submit our ideas as part of the decision making process and to build on the robust structure proposed by ECB as a result of detailed consultations undertaken."

The board also agreed the 2010 season would include a 50-over competition and 16 County Championship matches in a two-division structure.

I'm struggling to see how they can fit in the EPL, Twenty20 league, 50 over competition (presumably the FP Trophy) and 16 county championship matches per team in a season. It'll have to go deep into September like.

I think 50 over cricket should be consigned to the history books, although I fear test cricket will go first. Fucking twenty twenty bullshit.

:D

I think 50 over cricket should be consigned to the history books, although I fear test cricket will go first. Fucking twenty twenty bullshit.

There'd be uproar if they tried to abolish Test Cricket. They can mess about with this T20 shite all they like, but if they abolished the heart and soul of the game, I, for one, and all the traditionalists of the game wouldn't go back.

It would be like trying to abolish the Premier League for an all year round Carling Cup.

Btw, I'm assuming it wouldn't be a new 50 over competition, just a restructure of the FPT.

As my I text my non-cricket liking mate who went to Twenty20 recently and said it was 'canny'..it's slogging cricket for bairns.

What? :D

Twenty20 is awful. The way I explain the different types of cricket to my mates is by saying that test cricket is like reading the book, one day stuff is seeing the film and T20 is just watching the trailer.

Twenty20 is not shite though. Not only is it good entertainment if you can only watch for a short time, but it does require a lot of talent and useful tactics that can be brought into other forms of the game. What is wrong with it being "slog cricket" anyway? If it's just mindless slogging, then it's pretty impressive players make rapid centuries when only one mistake can get you out.

That said, I much prefer Test cricket, which is also exciting and more engaging. The issue is, is it really under threat? In this country, I'd have thought cricket moving from Channel 4 would have had a larger impact on its popularity than Twenty20.

I think Bopara was right when he recently said it's the 50 overs version of the game that is under most threat from T20. I do like T20 too, I must admit and I'm more of a fan of Test matches than any other form of the game. The T20 matches do get very ridiculous when they are reduced in length though at times. I think 6 overs a side can constitute a 'match' or something like that.

With one of India's leading players, Dhoni, dropping out of his country's next test series because he's too tired from the IPL, you cannot say that test cricket is under threat.

Money talks and sponsors are willing to plow more of it into the DonkeyDonkey game. Have you seen our itinery for the tour of India? Two tests and seven ODIs.

With one of India's leading players, Dhoni, dropping out of his country's next test series because he's too tired from the IPL, you cannot say that test cricket is under threat.

Money talks and sponsors are willing to plow more of it into the DonkeyDonkey game. Have you seen our itinery for the tour of India? Two tests and seven ODIs.

Is that really any different to Kerry Packer's World Series and Rebel tours to Saaf Afreeka, etc. though? I.e. it may have an impact on test cricket but I don't see posing any real threat to its future.

Is that really any different to Kerry Packer's World Series and Rebel tours to Saaf Afreeka, etc. though? I.e. it may have an impact on test cricket but I don't see posing any real threat to its future.

Maybe not its future but certainly its standing in the game. Sri Lanka have said that they will allow their star players to miss next summer's series in England so they can honour their IPL commitments. Imagine Pietersen not playing in the Ashes because he's too knackered from the slap and tickle stuff in India.