Money

Scottish Mag

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/html/tbawe.htm

Another week gone and another week when Michael Owen’s contract has remained unsigned and the same applies to Steve Harper. Neither appeared in the club’s first pre-season friendly at Hartlepool on Saturday. Both had injury ground knocks. Hmm.

Another week when we didn’t make any of the signings we desperately need and another knock back to the club – this time from Pablo Aimar who decided Benfica was preferable to us and the inescapable feeling our interest had been used by his agent to put up the transfer fee and his wages with some tales emerging that the Argentine was always going to go to Portugal with all that needed to be sorted being the fee and wages. You’d think with Vetere and Jimenez and their rumoured expertise in the Spanish market they would have known they were being stiffed wouldn’t you?

Add Aimar’s name to a list that now includes Woodgate and Modric – that we know about. The talk amongst supporters of my acquaintance on Saturday is of Ashley refusing to pay the going rate for players and compete on salaries because of his desire to get the wage bill down! A version of NUFC’s emerging reality picked up by Neil Farrington of the Sunday Sun who reckoned whilst we pitched Newcastle United and a mid-table mediocrity next season to Pablo and lower wages than those being offered in Portugal, Rui Costa made the Argentine play-maker feel a bit special by going out to meet him in a private jet and offering him the chance of silverware, the Iberian sunshine and er, more money than NUFC. As that money was said to be around the £18K p.w. mark (mind-blowing money to most of us on Tyneside) but pretty average in the high octane world of the PL. If we don’t pay the going rate to players then we won’t sign players- it is as simple as that.

It would be easy to turn on Wise, Vetere and Jimenez for these failures to date but to be fair to them, they do appear to be getting in front of players and their agents but deals are falling apart at the “personal terms” stage it seems. Wise and Co can only offer the money Ashley is sanctioning and if those terms aren’t competitive, then players and their agents would have to be fools to accept them. Players and agents aren’t fools when it comes to the green.

To my completely uneducated eye the policy is coming from the top and the priority at NUFC isn’t progression or glory, it’s cutting costs - particularly the ratio of players salaries to turnover, which stands, so we’re told at a whopping 72%. Something needs to be done evidently - particularly as some of our top, top earners aren’t contributing in the way they should be – though then again, even if they were we still wouldn’t be in the top four with them and so even at 5th or 6th we wouldn’t be reducing the salaries to turnover ratio or increasing the turnover.

The murmuring of discontent at the direction the club is taking is becoming louder. There are those it seems who are prepared to give the new regime right up until the 31/Aug/08 to do the business on players whilst a growing number of us are now hardening in the scepticism we have at Ashley and his intentions for Newcastle United. As he continues to decline to set out publicly and directly what he wants for and from NUFC then the vacuum grows ever bigger and the opportunity for unchallenged shit-stirring by the press increases!

There are those who will point to Ashley’s injection of cash to clear the club of its debts as a sign of his commitment. But we don’t have any visible evidence of the deal to clear debts do we? We do know any sale of the club will return all of the monies invested in NUFC and more. That was a business decision, not an emotional one. Certainly its true without the Ashley takeover we may have been looking at a Leeds-style implosion but we aren’t going to tug our forelocks and be grateful forever and nor will we be bowing and scraping and thanking Shy Mike for some of the decent deals for tickets, Supporters Panel and Community Foundation that have been introduced in the last twelve months. We want a club moving forward with good players playing good football and towards a position (don’t laugh) where we can compete in accordance with the size and (albeit fading) prestige of Newcastle United FC. To realise it’s potential. As for putting money into the pocket of a London billionaire nah, not really interested in doing that. A few throwaway remarks related to NUFC from Ashley at the end of some news about Sports Direct’s disappointing figures isn’t good enough.

Certain Mags of my acquaintance talk sincerely of an unwavering trust in Kevin Keegan and believe as long as KK remains on-message then Ashley is worthy of our support. Should Ashley piss KK off with this apparent penny pinching then it’s unlikely he’ll be able to show his face in many away ends or supporters drinking dens next season without getting a rough ride. Certainly KK has spoken directly of the need to bring in quality and quantity ahead of the new season. We desperately hope we can bring in the 5 or 6 additions to the squad we desperately need to have anything approaching a decent season. Note the word – additions. Worryingly there are echoes of Roeder’s only close season when the club had a summer of disappointing preparation and ended up with a rag-bag of close season recruits – one of whom, Olivier Bernard, was crocked and a complete waste of money – not playing a minute for the first team. Appalling business.

KK is absolutely correct to say we don’t want panic buys but the club has had since January-February with the new structure in place to set up the deals we need to complete. What have Wise and Co been doing? The EURO 08 excuse was never really going to convince but now with the transfer season warming up, we appear to have our tuppence ha’penny in our pockets and our snotty noses pressed up against the window while the posh bairns get the best toys.

The close season has been one the people in the Box Office will want to forget with so many changes and flak coming their way but I really fear the number of season tickets shifted this year will be down and down substantially. I’m coming across several Mags who have had enough with being dicked about and frankly the lack of any kind of blueprint for success and public statement from Ashley isn’t exactly catching the public’s admiration. Or selling season tickets. The club needs leadership. He may not like it but as owner of Newcastle United he is a public figure and the man at the head of our club. That makes him responsible – not Chris Mort or Derek Llambias.

We want to see evidence the club is moving forward rather than being prepared for a sale in an uncertain and buyer’s market.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've mentioned it before but it was the current regime who spunked ridiculous wages on the likes of Smith, Viduka (who, in fairness was a free and has been 'decent' value), Geremi, Barton, etc. and that was for players chosen by a manager someone else appointed. Now they've got their own bloke and their own scouting / recruitment set-up and (it would seem anyway) they won't pay the going rate. Strange, if true.

Canny article. Voices a lot of concerns a lot of us share I reckon.

I enjoyed it on balance...I think it got better as it went on....the first few paras seemed to me largely based on speculation

Until the ridiculous contracts negotiated by FFS can be renegotiated and NUFC starts becoming a viable concern, I expect this to continue.

Short term pain for long term security.

First signs of the turning of the tide. End of August will get tasty.

Hardly, people have been saying it for a while.

I know I've mentioned it before but it was the current regime who spunked ridiculous wages on the likes of Smith, Viduka (who, in fairness was a free and has been 'decent' value), Geremi, Barton, etc. and that was for players chosen by a manager someone else appointed. Now they've got their own bloke and their own scouting / recruitment set-up and (it would seem anyway) they won't pay the going rate. Strange, if true.

It's just a shame he's never fit, he'd have been good value if he was.

Do you mean the natives are revolting? :headphonedance:

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

Sir Winston Churchill

Hardly, people have been saying it for a while.

The tone of the article is new though. They had one a couple of weeks ago but I had the feeling they were still holding back. This one is more personalised vis a vie Ashers.

It speaks a lot of truth but I'm one of the ones who are prepared to wait until the end of August before making a decision on Ashley. One thing is for sure, fans will not be happy if their expectations are not met and for most of us I think those expectations are very reasonable.

Until the ridiculous contracts negotiated by FFS can be renegotiated and NUFC starts becoming a viable concern, I expect this to continue.

Ashley's lot negotiated a fair few of them too, as I've already pointed out.

Aye, assuming they are putting in a wage structure (and it's still hard to say as there's nothing really definite either way), it's bound to be painful and effect recruitment and therefore Premiership achievement for a season at least (maybe quite a few more).

The worrying thing is that although some of FFS dealing were silly, at the same time we'll always be paying more all things being equal, which is being made worse by the money other clubs are throwing around now.

I don't think he's good value at 70k a week.

You have to factor in that he was a Bosman though.

Ashley's lot negotiated a fair few of them too, as I've already pointed out.

Maybe Big Sam was scarier in the boardroom. :headphonedance:

There are bargains out there to be had.

When we rebuilt, we got players from relegated teams, frees from abroad, young kids and a few seasoned heads getting to the end of our career.

When we almost came fourth our starting 11 was less than 30mil pounds.

Maybe Wise's scouting network is still in the process of setting up.

You have to factor in that he was a Bosman though.

Fair enough.

When we rebuilt, we got players from relegated teams, frees from abroad, young kids and a few seasoned heads getting to the end of our career.

Not quite finished on that part yet, methinks.

Aye, assuming they are putting in a wage structure (and it's still hard to say as there's nothing really definite either way), it's bound to be painful and effect recruitment and therefore Premiership achievement for a season at least (maybe quite a few more).

The worrying thing is that although some of FFS dealing were silly, at the same time we'll always be paying more all things being equal, which is being made worse by the money other clubs are throwing around now.

Newcastle with a wage structure is like a dead shark.

I mean in the initial period when we began to stop the rot.

Newcastle with a wage structure is like a dead shark.

Why you will still offer substantially more than team abroad.

I mean in the initial period when we began to stop the rot.

Yet you still have no quality DM and no central defence.