World Cup 1966 question

Matty

This has bugged me for ages and I've never been able to find the answer so I wonder if anyone could shed any light on it....

Basically, any memorabilia or footage you see from England winning the World Cup in '66 shows the Union flag of Britain and not the cross of St. George. In addition to this, when I visited the old Wembley stadium they had a plaque in honour of the '66 win and the flag they used to represent the victorius nation was again the Union flag and not the English one.

Any ideas as to why.... anyone!?

The further back you go the less there is English/Scottish/Welsh nationalism in its current context (fanned by ambitious politicians as it mostly is). Plus I suspect the WC was viewed (or meant to be viewed) as British, not purely "english" like it would be now (lacking the many pressure groups that would make sure it was these days).

pre-devolution I thinks the main reason, and the fact that until recently the St Georges cross has been synonymous with racism

I still see it that way personally.

Despise the nationalistic view.

pre-devolution I thinks the main reason, and the fact that until recently the St Georges cross has been synonymous with racism

Clown

Clown

;)

I actually think that is why it's happening.

Scotland and Wales (and N Ireland) have been allowed to build up nationalism for a long while, and was always seen as ok and their right (even slavering, wide eyed, "did you spill my pint" supposed nationalism).

For England it was deemed as "racist" to be in anyway proud of being English (or British ironically), and such things were looked down on for a very long time, the backlash to that point of view is probably a large part of what we're seeing now (as well as other issue with community integration).

Guest Stevie

I think it's the other way round, the Union Jack became synonymous with racism.

I actually think that is why it's happening.

Scotland and Wales (and N Ireland) have been allowed to build up nationalism for a long while, and was always seen as ok and their right (even slavering, wide eyed, "did you spill my pint" supposed nationalism).

For England it was deemed as "racist" to be in anyway proud of being English (or British ironically), and such things were looked down on for a very long time, the backlash to that point of view is probably a large part of what we're seeing now (as well as other issue with community integration).

I no longer view the St Georges Cross as a symbol of racism or bigotry

It's really only been in since the 1980s that the St George's cross has had a resurgence in being used as England's flag. Before that, England simply used the Union Jack.

If you look at pre-80s world cups, you'll rarely see England represented by the St George's cross. It's the Union Jack.

Incidentally, during the 1958 World Cup , which is the only World Cup in which all four British nations qualified for the finals, the Union Jack featured in official artwork/flag desplays etc 4 times as it was used as the flag of each home nation.

I don't give a shite tbh, let the other nations have their own rule, let's see how long they keep up the good times if the haven't got the English tax-player subbing them.

I don't give a shite tbh, let the other nations have their own rule, let's see how long they keep up the good times if the haven't got the English tax-player subbing them.

You're fuck when KCG sees this. :icon_lol: