Torres

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Essien's pure class.

No Stevie G though.

Aye, he probably plays well for his country too.

He does. ... and?

And Gerrard doesn't.

Essien's pure class.

No Stevie G though.

He does. ... and?

And Gerrard doesn't.

Would you drop him?

Essien's pure class.

No Stevie G though.

He does. ... and?

And Gerrard doesn't.

Would you drop him?

That's a different matter. I'm not sure tbh. Part of the problem with him and a number of the England squad though is that they seem to think they'll get picked regardless of how poorly they play. Gerrard has gone missing so many times for England recently it's untrue. It would probably give him the kick up the arse he needs though because he's been shite when it's really mattered in recent matches. Can't remember the last good game he had against even a half-decent side.

Essien's pure class.

No Stevie G though.

He does. ... and?

And Gerrard doesn't.

Would you drop him?

That's a different matter. I'm not sure tbh. Part of the problem with him and a number of the England squad though is that they seem to think they'll get picked regardless of how poorly they play. Gerrard has gone missing so many times for England recently it's untrue. It would probably give him the kick up the arse he needs though because he's been shite when it's really mattered in recent matches. Can't remember the last good game he had against even a half-decent side.

When was the last time England played well? ... making Gerrard a scapegoat isn't an answer.

Essien's pure class.

No Stevie G though.

He does. ... and?

And Gerrard doesn't.

Would you drop him?

When was the last time England played well? ... making Gerrard a scapegoat isn't an answer.

I wasn't making him the scapegoat, you brought him up out of the blue.

Guest Stevie

I didn't put why. Scholes because he comes across as a down to earth decent chap, who is incredibly humble and modest given the fact he is easily one of the ten most gifted players of his generation on a world stage even. Vieira and Zidane both at varying times described him as the best midfielder in the world.

McAllister, similar reasons to Scholes, he was immensely gifted, at his peak at Leeds, I honestly believe he would've WALKED IN any team on earth. Vision, touch, passing, free kicks, shots, leadership, he had everything and he won't be remembered as highly as he should've been, if he played for AC Milan or Man Utd, his name would go in the record books for the next 50 years, probably the most underrated non toon player I can think of. Definitely Scotland's best player since Dalglish imo.

I didn't put why. Scholes because he comes across as a down to earth decent chap, who is incredibly humble and modest given the fact he is easily one of the ten most gifted players of his generation on a world stage even. Vieira and Zidane both at varying times described him as the best midfielder in the world.

McAllister, similar reasons to Scholes, he was immensely gifted, at his peak at Leeds, I honestly believe he would've WALKED IN any team on earth. Vision, touch, passing, free kicks, shots, leadership, he had everything and he won't be remembered as highly as he should've been, if he played for AC Milan or Man Utd, his name would go in the record books for the next 50 years, probably the most underrated non toon player I can think of. Definitely Scotland's best player since Dalglish imo.

Macca, Speed, Chapman & Strachan won Leeds the Div 1 title IMO not Cantona as a lot of people think. Macca was awesome and I think he is going to prove a good manager too. He was great even at the end of his career at the scousers. Good choice Stevie!

Guest Stevie
Strachan was better than McAllister.

I was waiting patiently for someone to say that, and was he fuck. Strachan was a decent player on the right, but his career at Man Utd was largely shite, the point of his career where he should have been at his peak, and he was surrounded by a tremendous midfield at Leeds. McAllister was the engine of Leeds, and he was still doing it at the very highest level, when he brought the likes of Gerrard on winning those four trophies in that one season. Technique wise Strachan was a good player, I remember him sticking one in the stanchion at SJP about 87, but technique wise McAllister was a genious.

Edited by Stevie

Guest Stevie

I hate clueless cunts, who HAVE to have an alternative view when it's clear they don't actually have one deep down. More and more people are like that these days.

I was waiting patiently for someone to say that, and was he fuck. Strachan was a decent player on the right, but his career at Man Utd was largely shite, and he was surrounded by a tremendous midfield at Leeds. McAllister was the engine of Leeds, and he was still doing it at the very highest level, when he brought the likes of Gerrard on winning those four trophies in that one season. Technique wise Strachan was a good player, I remember him sticking one in the stanchion at SJP about 87, but technique wise McAllister was a genious.

All about opinions, isn't it? They were both good players although I think you're assessment of McAllister is a bit OTT. Strachan had a tremendous range of passing and was good at set-pieces although GM was probably better in the latter regard. I wouldn't say Strachan's career was mostly shite at Man Utd either. I think he suffered from a personality clash with Ferguson though and that was only going to end one way. McAllister had one fabulous season at Leeds then a late career renaissance at Liverpool. I can think of lots of players who I'd prefer to watch in the same period though.

I hate clueless cunts, who HAVE to have an alternative view when it's clear they don't actually have one deep down. More and more people are like that these days.

:rolleyes:

Guest Stevie

I was waiting patiently for someone to say that, and was he fuck. Strachan was a decent player on the right, but his career at Man Utd was largely shite, and he was surrounded by a tremendous midfield at Leeds. McAllister was the engine of Leeds, and he was still doing it at the very highest level, when he brought the likes of Gerrard on winning those four trophies in that one season. Technique wise Strachan was a good player, I remember him sticking one in the stanchion at SJP about 87, but technique wise McAllister was a genious.

All about opinions, isn't it? They were both good players although I think you're assessment of McAllister is a bit OTT. Strachan had a tremendous range of passing and was good at set-pieces although GM was probably better in the latter regard. I wouldn't say Strachan's career was mostly shite at Man Utd either. I think he suffered from a personality clash with Ferguson though and that was only going to end one way. McAllister had one fabulous season at Leeds then a late career renaissance at Liverpool. I can think of lots of players who I'd prefer to watch in the same period though.

I can think of two, and they're both geordie and have played for the toon which is why I picked Macca.

Three memories of McAllister stick in my mind, one was when he played in Leicester's midfield at SJP when we were in Division Two, he completely ran the show, and I remember thinking at the time how immense he was. They raped the toon and rampaged to a 4-2 lead with 10 minutes to go. The other was when Scotland beat the CIS 3-0 at Euro 92 in Sweden, Russia had some quality but he ran the game start to finish no one could get near him, and he used to do it with monotonous regularity. The third memory was again at SJP, 94/95, I gave me dad my ticket for the day, and I got me mates which was right at the front of the Leazes, Leeds got a contencious pen down the Gallowgate, and to this day I don't think I've heard a louder noise at football. When you sit pitch side the crowd around the ground sounds so much louder, and this penalty was a joke, the whole ground "booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" it was different from normal, I couldn't hear myself think, and I thought there is no way he can score with this noise, it wasn't normal, he strode up and he hit it so so softly and in it went right in the top corner. What a player.

Regarding you thinking Strachan's career at Man Utd not being shite. He almost won footballer of the year in his first season, and was arguably the biggest reason they won the cup in 85, for the next four years his form was widely acknowledged to be non-descript.