Serious question?

sammynb

What the hell is the logic behind Souness's substitution(s) against Pompey?

Shola had, even by his crap standards, a game to forget.

Bowyer although lively, by being played on the right but constantly cutting inside left us out to dry down that wing, adding extra pressure on Carr and also shackling him to a defensive position all game.

And yet our tactical master of a manager made two substitutions, a forced injury replacement at half time and then a time wasting :lol: sub of Faye for Clark at the 88th minute mark!

I know Chopra was only called into the team at the last minute because Owen was injured but if he was on the bench why not use him to mix things up.

Both Rocky and Foluwashola played a full game in the stiffs earlier in the week (in which Rocky scored a brace) so why not sub the donkey at the 60 minute mark, fuck at worse it would of just lowered our off-side stat for the game.

A good manager manages what is at his disposal but I can't see Souness's ability at reading the game. Any signal I see him make to the team is about increasing their work rate, there is never a tactical instruction, or substitution.

I cant comment because I could only catch brief highlights of this game.

Firstly id like to applaud Shay Given, a top performance by him.

Back to Souness, he hasn’t shown a lot of great things as manager. He has made intelligent buys, but anyone who knows football would have bought the right players - however, lets not take that away from him.

I think he has made the right buys to setup the team the way he wants.

Boomsong needs to step him and not make his comical errors (didn’t see him in the Pompy game so don’t know how good he was). Carr seems to be a decent player, I would imagine a new LB as Babayaro clearly is a tad inconsistent and not up to the mark. Perhaps a good CB, maybe for the 1st team or a young bright prospect would stiffen up your defense.

His midfield setting is just about perfect. Keeping the 4-4-2 in mind he has one out and out DMF in Parker, Emre who is a solid midfielder with a lot of experience at club and International level and can play box-to-box, supporting second DMF or OMF. Luque is a bright buy for the left flank and Solano still has a season or two in him.

The only problem is the one you are facing now. When these players are injured there is no one to step in. We have adequate cover, Manu have adequate cover, Arsenal dont and that’s why they are barely scraping their wins and lets not even get into Liverpool because I know so much about Rafa's plans that I could post 20 pages on it.

So, as there is no one to step in, Souness is forced to switch things around in cue with the players at his disposal. That explains the team performances. I think he should be given at least 5 games with all players fit before anyone passes a judgment on him. Now, if it takes 5 months to get those players fit then its another ball game all together.

If he is around, and is allowed to do his do. Then I would imagine the summer to bring in 1 striker, 1 CB, 1 midfielder and any young prospect if on cheap.

------------Sherar-------OWen

--Luque-----Parker-----Emre-------Solano

That’s as good a midfield and front 2 as any. You have a top keeper and your defenders aren’t duds by any standards (but I do think you need at least ONE colossal defender)

You will start getting results, its just a matter of time.

Best wishes

Yogic

Back to Souness, he hasn’t shown a lot of great things as manager. He has made intelligent buys, but anyone who knows football would have bought the right players - however, lets not take that away from him.

Boomsong needs to step him and not make his comical errors (didn’t see him in the Pompy game so don’t know how good he was). Carr seems to be a decent player, I would imagine a new LB as Babayaro clearly is a tad inconsistent and not up to the mark. Perhaps a good CB, maybe for the 1st team or a young bright prospect would stiffen up your defense.

His midfield setting is just about perfect. Keeping the 4-4-2 in mind he has one out and out DMF in Parker, Emre who is a solid midfielder with a lot of experience at club and International level and can play box-to-box, supporting second DMF or OMF. Luque is a bright buy for the left flank and Solano still has a season or two in him.

The only problem is the one you are facing now. When these players are injured there is no one to step in. We have adequate cover, Manu have adequate cover, Arsenal dont and that’s why they are barely scraping their wins and lets not even get into Liverpool because I know so much about Rafa's plans that I could post 20 pages on it.

So, as there is no one to step in, Souness is forced to switch things around in cue with the players at his disposal. That explains the team performances. I think he should be given at least 5 games with all players fit before anyone passes a judgment on him. Now, if it takes 5 months to get those players fit then its another ball game all together.

If he is around, and is allowed to do his do. Then I would imagine the summer to bring in 1 striker, 1 CB, 1 midfielder and any young prospect if on cheap.

That’s as good a midfield and front 2 as any. You have a top keeper and your defenders aren’t duds by any standards (but I do think you need at least ONE colossal defender)

Best wishes

Yogic

42696[/snapback]

Nice explaination of what we know but it doesn't answer the question.

By the way Boumsong had a good game, a step up from his recent form.

""What the hell is the logic behind Souness's substitution(s) against Pompey?""

Is that the question and the purpose of your post?

I answered in my first line by saying I didnt watch the game.

42703[/snapback]

Oh they're a "canny" lot here! :lol:

What the hell is the logic behind Souness's substitution(s) against Pompey?

Shola had, even by his crap standards, a game to forget.

Bowyer although lively, by being played on the right but constantly cutting inside left us out to dry down that wing, adding extra pressure on Carr and also shackling him to a defensive position all game.

And yet our tactical master of a manager made two substitutions, a forced injury replacement at half time and then a time wasting :lol: sub of Faye for Clark at the 88th minute mark!

I know Chopra was only called into the team at the last minute because Owen was injured but if he was on the bench why not use him to mix things up.

Both Rocky and Foluwashola played a full game in the stiffs earlier in the week (in which Rocky scored a brace) so why not sub the donkey at the 60 minute mark, fuck at worse it would of just lowered our off-side stat for the game.

A good manager manages what is at his disposal but I can't see Souness's ability at reading the game. Any signal I see him make to the team is about increasing their work rate, there is never a tactical instruction, or substitution.

42690[/snapback]

Aye, Bellamy called him correctly !

42703[/snapback]

42716[/snapback]

He's Australian though, which is just about as Southern as you can get :huh:

Seriously though, who rattled your cage Sammy? We need to have posters like Yogic from other clubs who talk a bit of commonsense and have decent input and opinions.

We need to have posters like Yogic from other clubs who talk a bit of commonsense and have decent input and opinions.

42719[/snapback]

Agreed....

Let's not piss off the few decent posters from other clubs who are out there...

Best wishes

Yogic

42696[/snapback]

Man of the Match for me ıs Shay Given

İ did watch the whole game and we were crap

Souness lets us down every time and unlıke Y İdo not believe Souness will improve with the squad of players he has at his disposal no matter how long you give him.

We need to have posters like Yogic from other clubs who talk a bit of commonsense and have decent input and opinions.

42719[/snapback]

Agreed....

42721[/snapback]

I agree with the sentiment, BUT....

'top performance by Shay Given'....'I didn't see the game' or words to that effect

WTF!!!!!!!!PLEASE TELL ME HOW THIS CAN BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY????

42703[/snapback]

42716[/snapback]

He's Australian though, which is just about as Southern as you can get :huh:

Seriously though, who rattled your cage Sammy? We need to have posters like Yogic from other clubs who talk a bit of commonsense and have decent input and opinions.

42719[/snapback]

Alex, thanks for the southern tag. Thanks for basically telling me that by being Australian I don't know a lot and thanks for adding to the discussion.

I asked a question that seriously needs discussing, don't you think?

And Yogic, as brilliant as his answer may be, hasn't added to the conversation.

Actually he said it all when he said:

Or

I actually rate what he says but as it was irrelevant to the question and that is how I responded.

42719[/snapback]

Agreed....

42721[/snapback]

'top performance by Shay Given'....'I didn't see the game' or words to that effect

42754[/snapback]

He said he saw brief highlights, from which it was prett easy to ascertain Given had a top game IMO.

42719[/snapback]

Agreed....

42721[/snapback]

42754[/snapback]

He said he saw brief highlights, from which it was prett easy to ascertain Given had a top game IMO.

42757[/snapback]

Okay, I can accept that. :huh::lol:

Alex, thanks for the southern tag. Thanks for basically telling me that by being Australian I don't know a lot and thanks for adding to the discussion.

42756[/snapback]

It was a joke, aimed mainly at AF to be honest, nowt personal meant for either of you though. Also, I thought your response was unneccesarily terse, hence my response mate. Your being Australian means your more qualified to comment than most since (I think) the full game was broadcast there.

A point on Chopra, I think it's pretty obvious that The Beast doesn't fancy him at all as a footballer, which is why he can do what he likes in the reserves yet always be last choice. The fact Souness continued with Shola when it appears he was having a mare says it all. I'd probably be inclined to agree with him like.

42756[/snapback]

It was a joke, aimed mainly at AF to be honest, nowt personal meant for either of you though. Also, I thought your response was unneccesarily terse, hence my response mate. Your being Australian means your more qualified to comment than most since (I think) the full game was broadcast there.

42763[/snapback]

Watching Ameobi flounce around up front as we almost get stuffed by Portsmouth is a perfectly acceptable reason to be terse.

And yes it was live here, actually it was the 3 game in a row to be broadcast here.

Guys guys, I dont want to create a stirr in here.

Sammynb - I cant answer your question about the subs as I didnt watch the match. However, I thought this would be a good thread in which to post my thoughts as, (1) I dont need to create another (2) My thoughts are directed at those who doubt Souness and the system.

Snakehips - I didnt watch the game, but in the hilights show they usually have the best moments of every game and it was clear that Given kept you guys in the game and earned the point. He pulled out some top drawer saves.

-

Cheers

Guys guys, I dont want to create a stirr in here.

Sammynb - I cant answer your question about the subs as I didnt watch the match. However, I thought this would be a good thread in which to post my thoughts as, (1) I dont need to create another (2) My thoughts are directed at those who doubt Souness and the system.

Snakehips - I didnt watch the game, but in the hilights show they usually have the best moments of every game and it was clear that Given kept you guys in the game and earned the point. He pulled out some top drawer saves.

-

Cheers

42769[/snapback]

Keep posting, Yogic. Even if you are a southerner!!( in joke at the moment!)

I couldn't even bring myself to watch the 'highlights'!!!!!!!!!!

Well, all I can say is I have belief in your players. I know a few of them (Parker, Emre, Luque) and overall you have the potential for a top6 spot.

I will be around to contribute as best as I can.

Have a good one

Cheers