George Best

Guest alex

Very sad to see his latest predicament in my view. I think alcoholism is probably the worst adiction of all because of its availability. I know some people probably think it's a disgrace he ever got a transplant though. Just wondered what you lot thought.

Very sad to see his latest predicament in my view. I think alcoholism is probably the worst adiction of all because of its availability. I know some people probably think it's a disgrace he ever got a transplant though. Just wondered what you lot thought.

42980[/snapback]

In hindsight he probably shouldn't have been given the transplant. I think you can only give someone so many chances - he knows he's killing himself so its up to him really.

Having said that though, I'm not really sure how it works. Does him having a transplant actually stop the liver going to someone else more deserving? If so, then that's unacceptable. If not, then fair enough.

It is sad though yes, and I agree with you that it is probably the hardest addiction to overcome.

42980[/snapback]

Agree.

He deserved a transplant after staying off the drink for a year prior to the transplant. Apparently his diet for the last few months has been wine and brandy. Hopefully this scare will make him realise he should continue to abstain.

I think a lot of football fans are pissed off with him but don't really want to be, he's quite a funny bloke and was a great footballer but he's acted like a tit during his life. Bit like Gazza really, you still remember the footballer but you can't really agree with his lifestyle and stuff like beating his wife. I want to love Gazza like I've always done but he keeps doing things to try and make me hate him.

42980[/snapback]

In hindsight he probably shouldn't have been given the transplant. I think you can only give someone so many chances - he knows he's killing himself so its up to him really.

Having said that though, I'm not really sure how it works. Does him having a transplant actually stop the liver going to someone else more deserving? If so, then that's unacceptable. If not, then fair enough.

It is sad though yes, and I agree with you that it is probably the hardest addiction to overcome.

42983[/snapback]

Wouldn't you agree alcoholism is a disease though? It sort of takes the 'choice' element away from him a bit. Also, he waited longer than the avergage person according to his Doctor on Radio 5 last night. I partly agree though, some people seem to try harder than others when it comes to giving up the drink. It must be so bloody hard though.

42980[/snapback]

42983[/snapback]

Wouldn't you agree alcoholism is a disease though? It sort of takes the 'choice' element away from him a bit. Also, he waited longer than the avergage person according to his Doctor on Radio 5 last night. I partly agree though, some people seem to try harder than others when it comes to giving up the drink. It must be so bloody hard though.

42986[/snapback]

I agree its a disease. But then all sorts of diseases are taken into account when deciding who is best suited for a transplant. He is obviously a hopeless alcoholic, therefore his prognosis wasn't very good.

I also agree it must be hard - but that hard? He knows its life or death now. If he wants to kill himself then fine, but not at the cost of someone more deserving?

I agree its a disease. But then all sorts of diseases are taken into account when  deciding who is best suited for a transplant. He is obviously a hopeless alcoholic, therefore his prognosis wasn't very good.

I also agree it must be hard - but that hard? He knows its life or death now. If he wants to kill himself then fine, but not at the cost of someone more deserving?

42999[/snapback]

I believe he'd been sober for a year when they agreed to give him a transplant, not a hopeless alcoholic.

He thought he had a new liver that'd last another 60 years which is tempting to an alcoholic and you can understand the relapse, if not forgive it.

I agree its a disease. But then all sorts of diseases are taken into account when  deciding who is best suited for a transplant. He is obviously a hopeless alcoholic, therefore his prognosis wasn't very good.

42999[/snapback]

I believe he'd been sober for a year when they agreed to give him a transplant, not a hopeless alcoholic.

He thought he had a new liver that'd last another 60 years which is tempting to an alcoholic and you can understand the relapse, if not forgive it.

43001[/snapback]

According to his Doc on Radio 5 last night he had been sober for a year.

42999[/snapback]

43001[/snapback]

He knew the conditions, he chose to ignore his pledge. Fair enough he has new liver, but he was not fit to continue drinking. Alcohol damages other organs too, and the immunosupressants take their toll to.

He had a great second chance, and he has decided not to take it. Not many get as many chances as him tbh. And what about the damage he has done to others? WHat about his continued drink driving? I like to think I am a sympathetic person, but take away his ability on the field and I don't think he'd be getting much sympathy.

The only reason the transplant thing pisses me off is because he went out and fucked it up again. That could have gone to a much better use than that.

To be honest though, changing your liver doesn't cure your brain of the fact you want a drink, does it?

Edited by WubbleUC

42999[/snapback]

43001[/snapback]

He knew the conditions, he chose to ignore his pledge. Fair enough he has new liver, but he was not fit to continue drinking. Alcohol damages other organs too, and the immunosupressants take their toll to.

He had a great second chance, and he has decided not to take it. Not many get as many chances as him tbh. And what about the damage he has done to others? WHat about his continued drink driving? I like to think I am a sympathetic person, but take away his ability on the field and I don't think he'd be getting much sympathy.

43009[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong, I think the man's an arsehole. But I know how difficult he's having it and can sympathise. People on N-O saying good riddance and wishing death on him boil my piss a bit. We're none of us perfect.

I see Mark Ward is going down for peddling cocain too. Not as famous as George Best so he gets less coverage even though his 4kg of drugs will harm far more people.

Story

42999[/snapback]

43001[/snapback]

According to his Doc on Radio 5 last night he had been sober for a year.

43008[/snapback]

His Agent was quoted on the news last night as saying "he hasnt had a drink for a couple of weeks"

42980[/snapback]

I hope whoever thinks that applies it to all alcoholics?

But what set him on the road to depression? Clearly not being an all-time great footballer (in some peoples opinions) or a shagger of Miss Worlds.

What, if anything, caused his character flaw?

43066[/snapback]

Well there is something called paradise syndrome (or similar) which is where everything is so good, all you can think of is bad stuff.

I don't know, I don't think you necessarily have to be depressed about anything in particular.

Hey what the fuck do I know anyway? I'm just chucking my thoughts in! ;)

I thing Best and Gascoigne are incredibly similar personalities and it wouldn't surprise me to see Gazza turning out in the same way as Best. They're both players who were idolised, lived to excess, outgoing and over-indulgent. Unfortunately tyhe downside of that is when the over-indulgence catches up and ends up cutting short a career that has provided them with the fame and adulation in the first place. I'm sure depression plays a huge part in their current conditions.

It saddens me that George Best was lucky enough to be given a second chance and has completely fucked it up. Somewhere a family has made the decision for their daughter/son/husband/wife to donate their liver in order to help another person live. Unfortunately Best has managed to ruin that unique gift by seeing it as a chance to keep on drinking. I don't wish him any ill, and I hope he's not suffering, but I really do find it difficult to truly feel huge sympathy for him, and I'm not entirely proud of that.

But what set him on the road to depression? Clearly not being an all-time great footballer (in some peoples opinions) or a shagger of Miss Worlds.

43066[/snapback]

clinical depression is a mental illness,no trigger is needed,

43066[/snapback]

clinical depression is a mental illness,no trigger is needed,

43143[/snapback]

That's true, could be a chemical imbalance in the brain. Can be genetic. I read a story about a bloke who was very rich and very successful but suffered from clinical depression. Every so often he'd feel it creeping up and check himself into a clinic for a month or so. I suppose he was lucky that he had the money to deal with it, but it just went to show that his condition was medical rather than circumstantial.

I think alcoholism and depression are both "selfish" illnesses and people can find it hard to sympathise, especially as they tend to be lifelong problems and people's patience wears thin.

The trouble here is that George Best was widely loved by the public (as was Gascoigne) and people have a conflict of interest, ie they want to sympathise but they can't.

Catmag, sorry if you thought I was calling you idiotic the other day, I wasn't, I used too strong a word. I was also describing the action not you. I'm also after that tetris crown ;)

I think alcoholism and depression are both "selfish" illnesses and people can find it hard to sympathise, especially as they tend to be lifelong problems and people's patience wears thin.

The trouble here is that George Best was widely loved by the public (as was Gascoigne) and people have a conflict of interest, ie they want to sympathise but they can't.

Catmag, sorry if you thought I was calling you idiotic the other day, I wasn't, I used too strong a word. I was also describing the action not you. I'm also after that tetris crown  ;)

43157[/snapback]

You are forgiven :blush:

And you've got nee chance. You're talking to the Tetris Champion of Tameside General Hospital's Nurses Home, 1996. ;)