Champions League Draw

wykikitoon

Taken From The UEFA Site

English sides dominate the seedings for the 2008/09 UEFA Champions League group stage draw which will take place from 18.00CET on Thursday at Monaco's Grimaldi Forum.

Qualifying concluded

Sixteen teams gained automatic entry to the competition proper and the same number came through the third qualifying round on Tuesday and Wednesday. Making their debut in the group stage are UEFA Cup holders FC Zenit St. Petersburg, CFR 1907 Cluj of Romania, the first Belarussian qualifiers, FC BATE Borisov, and the inaugural Cypriot entrants Anorthosis Famagusta FC. In all, 17 nations are represented in the draw, the ceremony for which will include the UEFA Club Football Awards.

Top seeds

As usual the 32 sides are split into four seeding pots, with one from each being drawn into the eight groups, though no team can meet another from the same association. All four English clubs are included in Pot 1 – holders Manchester United FC, last season's runners-up Chelsea FC, five-time winners Liverpool FC, and Arsenal FC – and alongside them are FC Barcelona, Olympique Lyonnais, FC Internazionale Milano and the competition's most successful side, Real Madrid CF.

Contenders

Among the teams in Pot 2 are both German entrants, FC Bayern München and Werder Bremen, 2004 winners FC Porto, and Juventus, back in the competition after a two-year absence. Placed in Pot 3 are former European champions Olympique de Marseille, FC Steaua Bucureşti and Celtic FC, plus Zenit and last term's quarter-finalists Fenerbahçe SK. Pot 4 features Club Atlético de Madrid, ACF Fiorentina and the two survivors from the first qualifying round, BATE and Anorthosis. Matchday 1 will be on 16/17 September, with fixtures continuing on 30 September/1 October, 21/22 October, 4/5 November, 25/26 November and 9/10 December. As usual the top two sides will progress to the first knockout round draw on 19 December while those finishing third will enter the UEFA Cup Round of 32.

Live streaming

The draw will be streamed live on uefa.com. Users need to register, at no cost, to access the live video coverage, and are encouraged to do so in advance as the registration procedure involves the activation of the account after receiving an email.

Pot 1

Club

1 Manchester United FC (ENG, holders) 107.996

2 Chelsea FC (ENG) 124.996

3 Liverpool FC (ENG) 118.996

4 FC Barcelona (ESP) 117.837

5 Arsenal FC (ENG) 110.996

6 Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) 99.380

7 FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) 96.934

8 Real Madrid CF (ESP) 93.837

Pot 2 Club Coefficent

9 FC Bayern München (GER) 92.078

10 PSV Eindhoven (NED) 91.610

11 Villarreal CF (ESP) 90.837

12 AS Roma (ITA) 81.934

13 FC Porto (POR) 81.176

14 Werder Bremen (GER) 74.078

15 Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR) 67.176

16 Juventus (ITA) 66.934

Pot 3 Club Coefficent

17 Olympique de Marseille (FRA) 63.380

18 FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS) 60.437

19 FC Steaua Bucureşti (ROU) 59.398

20 Panathinaikos FC (GRE) 52.525

21 FC Girondins de Bordeaux (FRA) 52.380

22 Celtic FC (SCO) 52.013

23 FC Basel 1893 (SUI) 51.993

24 Fenerbahçe SK (TUR) 51.469

Pot 4 Club Coefficent

25 FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) 49.932

26 ACF Fiorentina (ITA) 40.934

27 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 36.837

28 FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) 34.932

29 CFR 1907 Cluj (ROU) 13.398

30 Aalborg BK (DEN) 12.748

31 Anorthosis Famagusta FC (CYP) 4.327

32 FC BATE Borisov (BLR) 1.760

Some bloody good teams in there this season!

Hope Liverpool get a SHIT hot league, although knowing the laws they wont!

Group A

CHELSEA

Roma

Bordeaux

CFR Cluj

Group B

Inter Milan

Werder Bremen

Panathinaikos

Anorthosis Famagusta

Group C

Barcelona

Sporting Lisbon

Basel

Shakhtar Donetsk

Group D

LIVERPOOL

PSV Eindhoven

Marseille

Atletico Madrid

Group E

MAN UTD

Villarreal

Celtic

Aalborg

Group F

Lyon

Bayern Munich

Steaua Bucharest

Fiorentina

Group G

ARSENAL

Porto

Fenerbahce

Dynamo Kiev

Group H

Real Madrid

Juventus

Zenit St Petersburg

Bate Borisov

I'm not too bothered about our group tbh.

We played Eindhoven 3 times the season before last and drew one 0-0 and beat them 3-0 and 1-0 in the other two games. Marseille beat us at home last season 1-0 but we went over there and beat them 4-0. Atletico could be a bit dodgy, but hopefully by then our better form will have returned.

Edited by Redshadow

We played Eindhoven 3 times the season before last and drew one 0-0 and beat them 3-0 and 1-0 in the other two games. Marseille beat us at home last season 1-0 but we went over there and beat them 4-0. Atletico could be a bit dodgy, but hopefully by then our better form will have returned.

I know its early days like, but there is definatley something lacking at Liverpool. You struggled the other night and if you carry on youll get bummed in the group.

Whats your thoughts shadow? Honest ones without the red glasses like our "friend" tosser

I know its early days like, but there is definatley something lacking at Liverpool. You struggled the other night and if you carry on youll get bummed in the group.

Whats your thoughts shadow? Honest ones without the red glasses like our "friend" tosser

We haven't played well at all. Torres looks jaded. Keane hasn't made any impact yet and others are playing the worst I've seen them. We're picking up points though, and if it had been Man U scoring that goal in injury time, and picking up points in the dying seconds of matches it would have been 'well that's title winning form' not luck. Not that I think we'll win the title, I think Chelsea will walk it, but whatever it is, I'm glad we've had it obviously.

The team as a whole haven't looked good up to now, except for a few 15 or 20 minute periods here and there. Our left side looks quite weak with Aurelio and Yossi there. Hopefully Dossena will be the answer to our LB problems once he settles, and failing getting a LW player Babel should step up another notch this season. A new RB would have been good to get as well but finances being what they are we've got Degan on a free, who may or may not turn out to be the good attacking FB Rafa wants.

Masch and Lucas are back as well, Masch makes a big difference to the team, balances it out more.

I'm not a knee jerker so I'm not really bothered about our early season form, I'll tend to look at it more carefully 6 or 7 games in.

Edited by Redshadow