South African Deal

AgentFox

In footballing terms its only a good piece of business if you either already have replacements sitting there ie a pool of talent in the wings or have someone lined up thats cheaper, better and younger than the one you're selling.

In the case of Milner it was good financial business for Ashley and nothing else.

Did you think selling Woodgate was good business?

Yes but only because at the time anyone we had sitting in the wings would play more games than he was doing.

But we sold our best defender and didn't replace him until January, compare that to the Summer where we had Jonas and Geremi who I'd play over Milner and i can't see how one can be good business and the other not.

Oversimplifies things a bit though. For one thing I'd go with Milner ahead of Geremi but even allowing for Jonas being better we've got a small squad and we lost in Milner a decent player, who is also pretty versatile (I think the lad's ordinary, don't get me wrong) and he also has a very good attitude in terms of workrate and seemingly not minding playing in different positions. A player like that was valuable to our team (and still would be) because of the small squad we have. A quick look at the bench for games this season gives me serious concerns, especially given the bad start we've now had.

Well tbh I think 4 wingers is enough for any squad and I don't have a problem with going into the season with Jonas, Geremi, Duff and N'Zogbia as wide men, I would have been happy to have Jonas as Milner's replacement and spent the money on a decent replacement for Butt.

Not really interested in attitude and workrate because he's slow and can't cross.

Oversimplifies matters again though. Duff is practically perma-crocked (also shit and I'd have Milner in ahead of him) and N'Zogbia is cover for the LB position.

I don't think N'Zogbia was left back cover, the club wanted a left back and for some reason Atouba didn't bother coming over the day before the window closed.

It's not worth going around in circles because we won't agree, it'll be interesting to see your opinion come the January transfer window if Keegan is back by then under new owners and whether you're so critical if players we need in positions don't arrive.

N'Zogbia turned out to be left-back cover and going off what you've said already about what was happening just prior to the window closing I can only assume Wise and Co. are to blame for Atouba not coming, or do you want to have it both ways and say KK didn't give him his seal of approval?

I'll leave commenting on Keegan's / the new owner's failings in the next transfer window until they happen if that's ok.

I don't know why Atouba didn't come, all the Hamburg official site said was he turned up at training instead of coming here for a medical, no reason was given why.

I realise you don't have a clue. You seem to be insinuating Wise was running the show transfer-wise then though so I was only following your 'logic'.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's alright to lie as long as you've got good intentions?

I wonder if the people who were debating signing up for a 3 year deal but decided too because of what Keegan was saying are happy he told them lies?

your quite right he should've shot himself in the foot with no doubt some form of non disclosure agreement that he had to sign

(the type anyone with an ounce of sense makes you sign when taking over positions like that)

cost himself millions of pounds opened himself up to lawsuits and a proper reason for dismissal

don't be daft, how many managers or bosses or administrators of any club or major business have you seen ever come out and reveal all the problems going on

Benitez seems happy to come out and say if there's a problem, most keep their mouth shut though rather than painting a picture that isn't true.

I really don't understand your viewpoint. As I've already pointed out the only people we know who have lied are the club heirarchy owner yet you seem to be defending them to the hilt (you've already said you thionk Ashley's one mistake was appointing KK).

Appointing KK was his one big mistake, Not being honest about Wise's role at the club and that "It's a fact" statement were mistakes too but hardly the end of the World.

I wonder if the people who were debating signing up for a 3 year deal but decided too because of what Keegan was saying are happy he told them lies?

your quite right he should've shot himself in the foot with no doubt some form of non disclosure agreement that he had to sign

(the type anyone with an ounce of sense makes you sign when taking over positions like that)

cost himself millions of pounds opened himself up to lawsuits and a proper reason for dismissal

don't be daft, how many managers or bosses or administrators of any club or major business have you seen ever come out and reveal all the problems going on

Benitez seems happy to come out and say if there's a problem, most keep their mouth shut though rather than painting a picture that isn't true.

I really don't understand your viewpoint. As I've already pointed out the only people we know who have lied are the club heirarchy owner yet you seem to be defending them to the hilt (you've already said you thionk Ashley's one mistake was appointing KK).

Appointing KK was his one big mistake, Not being honest about Wise's role at the club and that "It's a fact" statement were mistakes too but hardly the end of the World.

The only stick you seem to be able to hit Keegan with is your assertion he has been dishonest though.

In footballing terms its only a good piece of business if you either already have replacements sitting there ie a pool of talent in the wings or have someone lined up thats cheaper, better and younger than the one you're selling.

In the case of Milner it was good financial business for Ashley and nothing else.

Yes but only because at the time anyone we had sitting in the wings would play more games than he was doing.

But we sold our best defender and didn't replace him until January, compare that to the Summer where we had Jonas and Geremi who I'd play over Milner and i can't see how one can be good business and the other not.

Oversimplifies things a bit though. For one thing I'd go with Milner ahead of Geremi but even allowing for Jonas being better we've got a small squad and we lost in Milner a decent player, who is also pretty versatile (I think the lad's ordinary, don't get me wrong) and he also has a very good attitude in terms of workrate and seemingly not minding playing in different positions. A player like that was valuable to our team (and still would be) because of the small squad we have. A quick look at the bench for games this season gives me serious concerns, especially given the bad start we've now had.

Well tbh I think 4 wingers is enough for any squad and I don't have a problem with going into the season with Jonas, Geremi, Duff and N'Zogbia as wide men, I would have been happy to have Jonas as Milner's replacement and spent the money on a decent replacement for Butt.

Not really interested in attitude and workrate because he's slow and can't cross.

Oversimplifies matters again though. Duff is practically perma-crocked (also shit and I'd have Milner in ahead of him) and N'Zogbia is cover for the LB position.

I don't think N'Zogbia was left back cover, the club wanted a left back and for some reason Atouba didn't bother coming over the day before the window closed.

It's not worth going around in circles because we won't agree, it'll be interesting to see your opinion come the January transfer window if Keegan is back by then under new owners and whether you're so critical if players we need in positions don't arrive.

N'Zogbia turned out to be left-back cover and going off what you've said already about what was happening just prior to the window closing I can only assume Wise and Co. are to blame for Atouba not coming, or do you want to have it both ways and say KK didn't give him his seal of approval?

I'll leave commenting on Keegan's / the new owner's failings in the next transfer window until they happen if that's ok.

I don't know why Atouba didn't come, all the Hamburg official site said was he turned up at training instead of coming here for a medical, no reason was given why.

I realise you don't have a clue. You seem to be insinuating Wise was running the show transfer-wise then though so I was only following your 'logic'.

He could have stayed for a few reasons and it could have been down to Wise why he didn't come here, no need to get insulting just because you can't catch me out.

The only stick you seem to be able to hit Keegan with is your assertion he has been dishonest though.

That and him walking out at the worst possible time leaving us in the shit, if he wasn't happy with having players signed that he didn't know about then he should have walked when Jonas was signed.

He could have stayed for a few reasons and it could have been down to Wise why he didn't come here, no need to get insulting just because you can't catch me out.

I wasn't being insulting. It didn't seem very logical to me however. Whichever way you look at it it was a failure on the part of whoever was doing the recruitment that a left-back didn't arrive as cover was badly needed in that area. Also, I hardly think someone like Warnock would have broken the bank.

That and him walking out at the worst possible time leaving us in the shit, if he wasn't happy with having players signed that he didn't know about then he should have walked when Jonas was signed.

Are you seriously suggesting that walking out before the transfer window would have been better? I'd also say it's entirely possible (very likely even) promises were made and not fulfilled and it was only once the window had closed that this was fully realised.

Allardyce complaining last summer about lack of support and football understanding, followed by Morts comments last november that we wouldn't be buying anybody in January [while looking at a struggling team short of players and on the edge of a relegation fight] were major mistakes in club policy, and told a lot about their intentions as to running the club.

They were both long before KK came in. If anything, my own thoughts were the direct opposite. I hoped that we would see a different outlook with their own manager, but it wasn't to be. For anyone to say that he did very much right at all - even now with hindsight - takes some beating for sheer ignorance.

Its quite clear now that :

Keegan was summoned to London after the Chelsea to get his knuckles rapped [despite their being "no quotes" that the Ashley arse wipe brigade used to justify their baseless opinion that it wasn#'t true ie they hoped it wasn't true when it was obvious as fuck]

All the PR Keegan has gave has been because he was just behaving professionally by trying to keep club business inside the club, until he'd had enough. This includes the comment that Wise was the "best of 3 names". What a load of shit, he should have had a free hand at choosing whoever he wanted himself.

I'm not really interested in whether or not the club decided to implement a DOF system and "finding someone to fit it". Fact is that as was said at the time, any manager worth his salt would not allow himself to be undermined and dictated to, and thats exactly what has happened. A notion fully supported publicly by Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger and who is going to argue that they know what they are talking about.

I wasn't being insulting. It didn't seem very logical to me however. Whichever way you look at it it was a failure on the part of whoever was doing the recruitment that a left-back didn't arrive as cover was badly needed in that area. Also, I hardly think someone like Warnock would have broken the bank.

I agree, but it's not the end of the World.

I'm not sure what Warnock is worth tbh, he's a step up from Enrique but I think it would have been hard for Ince to sell him after saying there was no way any of his squad would be leaving after he sold Bentley, we should have snapped Shorey up earlier in the window.

Are you seriously suggesting that walking out before the transfer window would have been better? I'd also say it's entirely possible (very likely even) promises were made and not fulfilled and it was only once the window had closed that this was fully realised.

I would say leaving at the beginning of July is better than leaving at the beginning of September, wouldn't you?

I can't think of a worse time he could of left apart from the night before the first game of the season.

I would imagine it was all cumulative starting when Wise was appointed. No one incident was 'the end of the world' which is why the tranfer window shenanigans became the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. You can say appointing so-and-so is no big deal, or not signing whoever likewise but it all adds up to a pretty big deal when it means that someone with Keegan's integrity feels he has to walk.

I would say leaving at the beginning of July is better than leaving at the beginning of September, wouldn't you?

I can't think of a worse time he could of left apart from the night before the first game of the season.

I wasn't sure exactly when Jonas had signed so I was assuming it was later than that (for example leaving with two weeks of the transfer window would be worse, but that's by the by). But really, your argument is absolutely ridiculous as I see it. You're criticising Keegan for the timing of his leaving as though his leaving is the cause of rather than a symptom of the problems at the club. Of course that suits your viewpoint regarding who is to blame.

I wasn't sure exactly when Jonas had signed so I was assuming it was later than that (for example leaving with two weeks of the transfer window would be worse, but that's by the by). But really, your argument is absolutely ridiculous as I see it. You're criticising Keegan for the timing of his leaving as though his leaving is the cause of rather than a symptom of the problems at the club. Of course that suits your viewpoint regarding who is to blame.

I think the timing has left us in the shit and I think with a manager happy with the set up (which Keegan was when he took the job) we would have had a better transfer window as it seems to me there was different opinions behind the scenes and a power struggle.

I think he was hoping to get his feet under the table which is why he was happy to go along with it at the beginning but he was planning to use his influence to change it to how he wanted.

I'm getting a bit bored now btw so we can carry this on another time if you like.

Keeglars job obviously only became untenable after the facts.

He was likely being fed the same crap as the rest of us.

Of course it was only going to come to a head when the window slammed shut and ideals and assurances lay shattered on the floor, like so many Geordie hearts and dreams.

I think the timing has left us in the shit and I think with a manager happy with the set up (which Keegan was when he took the job) we would have had a better transfer window as it seems to me there was different opinions behind the scenes and a power struggle.

I think he was hoping to get his feet under the table which is why he was happy to go along with it at the beginning but he was planning to use his influence to change it to how he wanted.

I'm getting a bit bored now btw so we can carry this on another time if you like.

Baggy, beaten

Baggio's more devastated Leazes was right than he is bothered about the mess the club is in man. That's what this is all about.

Leazes usually takes up such a position it's hard for him to be wrong tbh. It's easy to say X amount of money should be spent by the owner, but until somebody buys the club and puts his money where his mouth is, it's hard to say how it should be done. I'm fairly sure Fat Fred, Leazes superhero took a lot more out of the club than he put in.

sometimes you make decent comments, but just lately this sort of shite has let you down.

What is it you consider shite then? Freddie Shepherd profited handsomely from Newcastle United, he certainly didn't put his own money in. I'm not convinced there are loads of buyers out there who will sink a load of money into strengething the squad if they take over either.

Again, the setup which Keegan supposedly knew about was painted in a different light when Wise was given the job to the way in which it was when Keegan left. By the statements emanating from the club that is. So while you surmise what you want based on events the one remaining fact is that the club heirarchy told lies.

Baggio's more devastated Leazes was right than he is bothered about the mess the club is in man. That's what this is all about.

Leazes usually takes up such a position it's hard for him to be wrong tbh. It's easy to say X amount of money should be spent by the owner, but until somebody buys the club and puts his money where his mouth is, it's hard to say how it should be done. I'm fairly sure Fat Fred, Leazes superhero took a lot more out of the club than he put in.

sometimes you make decent comments, but just lately this sort of shite has let you down.

What is it you consider shite then? Freddie Shepherd profited handsomely from Newcastle United, he certainly didn't put his own money in. I'm not convinced there are loads of buyers out there who will sink a load of money into strengething the squad if they take over either.

your silly use of childish words like "superhero".

I'm pointing out they did rather quite well when they ran the club, if Ashley had also did well and showed that he was on the right road, I'd have supported him too, which goes without saying.

I have no idea if anyone better than Ashley will take over, its quite possible that it could be worse again. That therefore would make them even more inferior to the Halls and Shepherd, but all we can do is hope for the best.

My "heroes" by the way [from when I was a kid anyway], are ex players like Tony Green, Wyn Davies and the rest of the Fairs Cup squad

Baggy, beaten

Not at all, it's just the debate has run it's course and we've both put our opinions across without being petty (much) with neither side looking to back down.

I could say something like "Well Alex, I wonder if the 53 other clubs below us want Mike Ashley to come in, get them out of trouble and bring in 2 class Argentinian Internationals <_< " over and over again but ( a ) the debate doesn't go anywhere and ( b ) people will think I've got a screw loose.

Again, the setup which Keegan supposedly knew about was painted in a different light when Wise was given the job to the way in which it was when Keegan left. By the statements emanating from the club that is. So while you surmise what you want based on events the one remaining fact is that the club heirarchy told lies.

Was it though? because the press have been painting a different picture to what the club have been saying all along and have been proven to be right.

We'll carry this on another day.

Jonathan Cleland

who is this puppet

http://profiles.yahoo.com/jonathan.cleland@btinternet.com

Trying to cash in on us, just a mickey mouse business man

Yahoo! ID:

jonathan.cleland@btinternet.com

Jonathan

Scotland, UK

Marital Status:

Married

Sex:

Male

Businessman

More About Me

Hobbies:

Voracious reader of global business press and avid Farrelly Brothers film fan. Coaching three teenage golfers.

Latest News:

Making an incredible recovery from an horrific, near fatal accident in August 2004. Still as gifted and full of chutzpah as can be!

Favourite Quote:

I am the way, the truth and the life - Jesus Christ

Baggy, beaten

Not at all, it's just the debate has run it's course and we've both put our opinions across without being petty (much) with neither side looking to back down.

I could say something like "Well Alex, I wonder if the 53 other clubs below us want Mike Ashley to come in, get them out of trouble and bring in 2 class Argentinian Internationals <_< " over and over again but ( a ) the debate doesn't go anywhere and ( b ) people will think I've got a screw loose.

defeats the whole object if you find 2 good international players and sell others you already have while making a profit in the transfer market and not attempting to build a bigger and better squad, especially a big club like Newcastle.

Behaving like 2nd raters is a thing that was stopped years ago, confined to the dustbin and is best kept there instead of revived again which is what they have done.

Which is precisely why Keegan fucked off.

Making an incredible recovery from an horrific, near fatal accident in August 2004.

Must of been a knock to the head tbh if he's planning on buying a club with no money.

it was.....

"Cleland walks with the aid of a stick after suffering a stroke in 2004.

He runs the charity Headlight and said: "I'm demonstrating that people who've had brain injuries can recover.

"Some might argue it took my brain injury to be interested in Newcastle United."

Bit unfortunate having a stroke whilst driving mind.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...86908-20777703/

your silly use of childish words like "superhero".

I'm pointing out they did rather quite well when they ran the club, if Ashley had also did well and showed that he was on the right road, I'd have supported him too, which goes without saying.

I have no idea if anyone better than Ashley will take over, its quite possible that it could be worse again. That therefore would make them even more inferior to the Halls and Shepherd, but all we can do is hope for the best.

My "heroes" by the way [from when I was a kid anyway], are ex players like Tony Green, Wyn Davies and the rest of the Fairs Cup squad

I think it's childish"to keep crowing "Baggy beaten" like a cheerleader over two people having a debate but it's all about opinions. What I don't understand is why didn't Shepherd buy SJH's shares if he didn't want someone like Ashley to do it? He didn't have the money? If not, how was he going to keep showing this ambition you keep talking about by spending big to compete with the top clubs?

The South Africans are looking for local investors, why doesn't Freddie re-invest £40m he made from selling his shares back into his own club rather than some two bit Spanish outfit?