Maradona...

bawan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Nicky Campbell on the radio this morning, 1 in 10 Argentinians think he's suitable for the job.

I'd like to know where he got those stats from.

I have mixed feelings about him. On one hand I hate him as an England fan but on the other I love him as a football fan as he was an absolute genius on the pitch. I know he's had his problems with his weight (although one look at him tells you he'd put on half a stone if he looked at a kebab) and coke. At least he had a proper go at the latter though and didn't check into rehab after a fortnight like most fanny rock stars you hear about now. He seems to have sorted himself out as well. It's a massive challenge though for someone who has always come across as a bit of a nutter.

Diego Maradona claims his 'Hand of God' goal against England will guarantee him a hero's welcome at Hampden next month.

The Argentina legend, who yesterday announced he will make his debut as his country's head coach against Scotland on November 19, was the villain of England's 1986 World Cup quarter-final defeat.

But he believes his handball goal in that game has made him an idol north of the border.

'I'm going to a country where they adore me because of the goal against the English,' Maradona said.

'The English and the Scots get on horribly - serious bad blood.

'But now we are going to play a game against Scotland, where they are going to treat us well.'

Maradona promised to field as strong a line-up as possible at Hampden but revealed he would not try to force Barcelona star Lionel Messi to play the game.

Barcelona reportedly have an agreement with the Argentinian Football Association which allows them to refuse to release the player for friendlies.

Maradona, who celebrated his 48th birthday yesterday, said: 'We're going to arm a good team with the best we have.

'We're not going to step on anybody. Barcelona's president was a gentleman letting Messi play in the Olympics.

'Now it's good that Messi wants to play all the games for Argentina.

'That has to put him in your hearts.'

Meanwhile, Gordon Smith plans to bring Brazil to Scotland if the Tartan Army fill Hampden for the visit of Argentina.

Scottish Football Association chief executive Smith helped secure the November 19 glamour friendly against Argentina.

There has been a surge of interest in the game since Maradona revealed he is taking over as his country's head coach.

But Smith believes playing a home match against five-times world champions Brazil for the first time since 1987 would be an even more mouth-watering prospect.

Smith said in the Daily Express: "This Argentina game gives us a chance to test the water and see if there's an appetite for such fixtures.

'If the fans respond positively by turning out in large numbers to see Argentina - then my next step is to pull out the stops to try and get Brazil to Hampden.

'Argentina is a famous name in football and now with Maradona coming is as coach there is extra spice to the fixture. But Brazil is the number one country in world football because of what they have given the game.

'Scotland have had memorable matches against them in the past and to have them come to Hampden would be special.

'If the Scotland fans are willing to back the idea then I'll do all that I can to bring Brazil to Glasgow.

'I'll have a better indication of how the public feel once we see the overall response to the Argentina match.'

• 3 weeks later...

I think he's a rancid cheating turd primarily for what happened in Mexico back in 86...

But he's funny as fuck in interview, even if it is through an interpretor. The bit towards the end of this clip about the '66 World Cup is hilarious. On a serious note, he must be fed up with them asking him about something which happened over 22 years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7736200.stm

Butcher should just move on, its over 20 years ago.

Perhaps he should but I can see why it'd stick in his throat.

If we'd won that game, I'd have fancied us against Belgium in the semis and we'd have been a good match for the Germans in the final (but would likely have lost).

If we'd won that game, I'd have fancied us against Belgium in the semis and we'd have been a good match for the Germans in the final (but would likely have lost).

Like Maradona pointed out, England won the WC with a goal that didn't cross the line, you don't hear any one complaining about that goal. Things like that in football happen people should learn to move on.

Like Maradona pointed out, England won the WC with a goal that didn't cross the line, you don't hear any one complaining about that goal. Things like that in football happen people should learn to move on.

Like it hasn't been one of the most contraversial and infamous goals ever awarded? :jesuswept:

Jesus, they've made documentaries about it FFS!

West Germany scored their equaliser (to make it 2-2) from a free-kick that should never have been awarded. And England won 4-2 anyway. On top of which Maradona deliberately cheated which is what makes it different. Butcher's still a knob for refusing to shake his hand though.

Yup no difference between that and him deciding to play volley ball at all. :jesuswept: (and England would have won anyway)

Very gifted footballer, but a worthless shell of a man.

At the end of the day Argentina won, it is still one of the most talked about games of the World Cup. Maradona scored with his hand but then made up for it with what most would think is the greatest goal of all time.

Edited by bawan