The whitewashing of Stalin

Fop

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason is that the true brutality of a lot of Stalin's regime (gulags, NKVD files etc) didn't start coming out until the Khrushchev 'de-Stalinsation' speech in 1958, when Hitler had already a headstart to build up a bad reputation!

I'd really recommend the books Rob W mentioned, reading about Stalin as a schoolboy is very strange, notice how all dictators seem to have had abusive dads!

Another reason is that the true brutality of a lot of Stalin's regime (gulags, NKVD files etc) didn't start coming out until the Khrushchev 'de-Stalinsation' speech in 1958, when Hitler had already a headstart to build up a bad reputation!

I'd really recommend the books Rob W mentioned, reading about Stalin as a schoolboy is very strange, notice how all dictators seem to have had abusive dads!

And sudden access to huge tranches of finance..... :lol:

aye well - JVS was a noted bank robber as well as a poet..............

whats weird is he spent some time in Landahn... you'd think they'd have put up a Blue sign or sommat?

probably wen to watch Millwall - he'd fit right in there

aye well - JVS was a noted bank robber as well as a poet..............

whats weird is he spent some time in Landahn... you'd think they'd have put up a Blue sign or sommat?

probably wen to watch Millwall - he'd fit right in there

They all seem to go to London or Paris before the circus starts. Strange quirk of history I guess. :jesuswept:

aye - Ho Chi Minh worked in the Ritz in Paris IIRC.................

But Hitler was FROM Vienna - never went to either Paris or Rome -

well not until later ...............

aye - Ho Chi Minh worked in the Ritz in Paris IIRC.................

But Hitler was FROM Vienna - never went to either Paris or Rome -

well not until later ...............

Hitler wasn't from Vienna although he did live there in his student days.

Edited by Park Life

• 1 month later...
Stalin voted third-best Russian

Former Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin was beaten by medieval prince Alexander Nevsky in a poll held by a TV station to find the greatest Russian.

Stalin came third, despite being responsible for the deaths of millions of Soviets in labour camps and purges.

Alexander Nevsky fought off European invaders in the 13th century to preserve a united Russia.

In second place was reformist Prime Minister Pyotr Stolypin, who was assassinated in 1911.

More than 50 million people voted by phone, the internet or via text messages in the poll held by Rossiya, one of Russia's biggest television stations.

The voting took place over six months as 500 original candidates were whittled down to a final 12.

Stalin - an ethnic Georgian - was riding high for many months and was in the number one slot at one point until the show's producer appealed to viewers to vote for someone else, says the BBC's Richard Galpin in Moscow.

Stalin sent millions of people to their deaths in the work camps of the Gulag. Millions more perished in political purges or during the forced collectivisation of farms during his rule from the 1920s to his death in 1953.

Many in Russia do still revere Stalin for his role during World War II when the Soviet Union defeated the forces of Nazi Germany.

But now there is a much broader campaign to rehabilitate Stalin and it seems to be coming from the highest levels of government, says our correspondent.

"We now have to think very seriously, why the nation chooses to put [Joseph] Stalin in third place," said actor and film director Nikita Mikhalkov, one of the contest's judges, after the results were released.

Nevsky fought off Swedish and Germanic invasions to preserve medieval Russia. He also pursued a conciliatory policy with the powerful Mongol rulers to protect Russia's eastern flank.

He was canonised as a saint by the Russian Orthodox Church in the 16th century.

Stolypin is remembered for his attempts to modernise agriculture and stifle leftist revolutionaries as prime minister under Tsar Nicholas II.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7802485.stm

years ago I nearly bought a painting "Comrade Stalin & the Electrification of the USSR" - luckily I checked the size before doing so - it was 18ft by 10ft..............

bit hard to fit in the downstairs bog

years ago I nearly bought a painting "Comrade Stalin & the Electrification of the USSR" - luckily I checked the size before doing so - it was 18ft by 10ft..............

bit hard to fit in the downstairs bog

Small toilet. :icon_lol: