Taylor for Chelsea

Scottish Mag

As much as Id love to see Taylor go and more importantly get 12million for him, if Ashley hasnt sold the club then we'll not see a penny of that cash.

I have to disagree with both you and Craig here.

Aside of the fact that I obviously rate Taylor more than both of you ...

I think that selling players, particularly players who are a fabric of the club, now - at this point in time [not that we should ever do it] and this includes Shay Given, will send out all the wrong signals to everybody in football.

Going down the old road pre-Hall and Shepherd [yes I know, but it has to be said] is not an option, and will only cement the impression [and totally confirm it in the eyes of many] that we truly have gone backwards, back to those days.

Allowing such a thing to happen would be nothing other than a disaster.

selling players though is fine as long as you have a better replacement lined up. 12mill should have ensured that but in the Ashley world we wouldn't.

its up to the manager though, ref Keegan when he sold Cole and replaced him with Les Ferdinand.

I think this is possibly the only time in all my years of supporting the club where they have sold a top, top player for a top, top fee, and actually managed to replace him with a better one.

The usual scenario is if you sell players "because you can't turn down the price" you spend more money trying to find a suitable replacement.

There are exceptions, but they are rare. James Milner - i was in favour of that, on the surface, not just because I HOPED Keegan would use the money well, but also because I just don't rate Milner that highly in the first place.

Different for Taylor though, I do rate him a lot and just now mate, the squad will have a real fight on its hands just to stay up. If we sold Taylor and tried to replace him with 2 cheaper players or something, well that is exactly the way the club was run by the old regime in the 70's and 80's.

We'll see. But I would want the club not to sell any of our best players, ever, without getting a better one through the door first.

As much as Id love to see Taylor go and more importantly get 12million for him, if Ashley hasnt sold the club then we'll not see a penny of that cash.

I think that selling players, particularly players who are a fabric of the club, now - at this point in time [not that we should ever do it] and this includes Shay Given, will send out all the wrong signals to everybody in football.

Going down the old road pre-Hall and Shepherd [yes I know, but it has to be said] is not an option, and will only cement the impression [and totally confirm it in the eyes of many] that we truly have gone backwards, back to those days.

selling players though is fine as long as you have a better replacement lined up. 12mill should have ensured that but in the Ashley world we wouldn't.

its up to the manager though, ref Keegan when he sold Cole and replaced him with Les Ferdinand.

I think this is possibly the only time in all my years of supporting the club where they have sold a top, top player for a top, top fee, and actually managed to replace him with a better one.

The usual scenario is if you sell players "because you can't turn down the price" you spend more money trying to find a suitable replacement.

There are exceptions, but they are rare. James Milner - i was in favour of that, on the surface, not just because I HOPED Keegan would use the money well, but also because I just don't rate Milner that highly in the first place.

Different for Taylor though, I do rate him a lot and just now mate, the squad will have a real fight on its hands just to stay up. If we sold Taylor and tried to replace him with 2 cheaper players or something, well that is exactly the way the club was run by the old regime in the 70's and 80's.

We'll see. But I would want the club not to sell any of our best players, ever, without getting a better one through the door first.

Although Ferdinand was a very good player, it was still manure that came out of the transfer deal well ahead. I don't think Ferdinand was better than Cole and when you look at the return by each player all we did was set manure up for years in goal scoring.

I think we're basically saying the same thing but from different angles. I personally dont rate Taylor as highly as he rates himself. I think hes an average player nothing special at all and far too prone to mistakes for my liking. If we could sell him for 12million and we knew that the manager would then have 12million+ to go and get a replacement then I'd be saying "snap their hands off".

What I think will happen is like you say, we'll sell and then "if we're lucky" they'll spend a couple of mill on some shite replacement, in that instance then Id rather we stuck with Taylor.

I think we're basically saying the same thing but from different angles. I personally dont rate Taylor as highly as he rates himself. I think hes an average player nothing special at all and far too prone to mistakes for my liking. If we could sell him for 12million and we knew that the manager would then have 12million+ to go and get a replacement then I'd be saying "snap their hands off".

What I think will happen is like you say, we'll sell and then "if we're lucky" they'll spend a couple of mill on some shite replacement, in that instance then Id rather we stuck with Taylor.

yeah, fair enough.

As a general rule though, I think clubs like Newcastle should where possible get the player in before offloading someone, especially in the predicament we are in now.

There are good centre halfs around ie David Wheater for one, but the club needs to sort out the ownership asap and keep its good players.

Although Ferdinand was a very good player, it was still manure that came out of the transfer deal well ahead. I don't think Ferdinand was better than Cole and when you look at the return by each player all we did was set manure up for years in goal scoring.

I disagree with that, I think Ferdinand was demonstrably better. Had they been at the club the other way around (i.e. Ferdinand was the player who we had in our debut season in the Premiership and then we replaced him with Cole), I don't think anyone would have ever talked about Cole.

Andy Cole gave us something we'd not had for decades - a free-scoring, speedy, scoring machine. But while this was valuable with devastating effect, I'd say there was little else to offer to him game apart from pace, a blistering shot and accuracy. He was like a better Oba Martins IMO. Ferdinand was a more complete striker and still the best header of the ball I have ever seen in a Newcastle shirt (Shearer included).

I see what you're saying but if he does have a firesale then he'll have a bit in cash but then he runs the risk of getting us relegated with vastly reduced income next season and a far less attractive asset to sell. It's very much in Ashley's interest to ensure that we stay up this season.

You are basing that on the belief that this bloke is like any other businessman with any football business sense. He doesnt, this is the man who believes that he can sell players and get in others on the cheap from abroad, all with the intention of then selling on in 1 or 2 years time for a profit. This is the man who thought it good transfer sense to allow Dennis Wise to overrule a manager who was classed as a god around here and then lie about it time and time again. This is the man who employed Joe Kinnear. This is also the man who has gone on record to say he will not invest another penny in this club. However more importantly this is the man who is quickly losing all his assets through either daft business or gambling.

If hes willing to gamble on HBOS shares going up when the world says they'll go down then hes willing to bet that we'll stay up without any intervention.

Aye, his business record actually suggest he is just the sort of person to gamble a big old profit versus relegation for us.

a load of shit imo chelsea wouldnt want him and he wouldnt go

I agree with everything you say.... right up to that bit in bold!

You are taking the piss, right? :lol: