Credit to the scouting team where it's due

Snake

I have to say, it's doing my head in a bit.

When I wanted him to stay, the rumours were he was looking to get out and sell.

Now we want him out, the rumours are he wants to stay and is looking for a way back in. :rolleyes:

I wish he'd make up his mind, tell us honestly what his plan is and stick to it.

Call me old fashioned....but people used to value their word.

Tbf to him, I think he wanted to sell, but the markets have gone against him.

Needs to get that price down a tad as well.

In principle you'd think that was a good idea. The problem is, the asset has a value that is based on more than market sentiment, it is based on revenue streams, future growth potential, the brand, all sorts of things that are more tangible than 'market turbulence'. If you drop the price low enough, then you open up the market to not just serious investors but anyone who can scrabble together the lowered asking price.

Just think what sort of people would put their hat into the ring if the price was a quid. (actually didnt Abramovic buy Chelsea for a quid?). Anyway, you get my point.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we want him out, the rumours are he wants to stay and is looking for a way back in. :rolleyes:

I wish he'd make up his mind, tell us honestly what his plan is and stick to it.

In principle you'd think that was a good idea. The problem is, the asset has a value that is based on more than market sentiment, it is based on revenue streams, future growth potential, the brand, all sorts of things that are more tangible than 'market turbulence'. If you drop the price low enough, then you open up the market to not just serious investors but anyone who can scrabble together the lowered asking price.

Just think what sort of people would put their hat into the ring if the price was a quid. (actually didnt Abramovic buy Chelsea for a quid?). Anyway, you get my point.

That's why you have to trust him to sell it to someone he feels is going to invest in the club and can take it forward, not just whatever cowboys can get the money together.

I agree but part of the "spec" was the value of the stadium/stands which you could argue is property which would then beg the question of why should they be different to housing which has fallen?

I also made the point on N-O that maybe buying the club for £134m with a serviceable debt would suit people who want to leave more for players.

Yup.

Everyone needs to hold tight for now.

I agree but part of the "spec" was the value of the stadium/stands which you could argue is property which would then beg the question of why should they be different to housing which has fallen?

Because the value of the stadium won't be entirely based on what the resale value is, it'll be based on how much money can be generated by filling the stadium.

Yup.

It's 'staying frosty' that has gotten us into this position. :finger:

Yup.

It's 'staying frosty' that has gotten us into this position. :finger:

No it's definitely Mike Ashley.

The core of the problem goes back to lack of due diligence. I'n sure if he knew what he was getting into be wouldn't have purchased the club.

The core of the problem goes back to lack of due diligence. I'n sure if he knew what he was getting into be wouldn't have purchased the club.

As far as I'm aware the only surprise Ashley had was the money owing on past transfers. How much could that really have been? I understand it perhaps reducing the amount he had set aside for transfers but I don't believe it's the entire reason we've spent next to fuck all on transfers.

As far as I'm aware the only surprise Ashley had was the money owing on past transfers. How much could that really have been? I understand it perhaps reducing the amount he had set aside for transfers but I don't believe it's the entire reason we've spent next to fuck all on transfers.

didn't MA (take with grain of salt) say he'd paid down about 110 million in back transfer payments....presently 1/3 of the clubs (projedcted worth)

"Ashley revealed that the debt he inherited at Newcastle was £100m but said that the speed of the purchase meant: "There was no time to do the usual due diligence on the deal because I had to move so quickly.

"So I paid £140m for the club with the expectation that there was a debt of £70m. Actually it was around £100m so there was suddenly an extra £30m to find. But I just thought: 'Shut up about it'. I'm a big boy and I didn't cry.

"To me the real issue was this: Was the debt bigger than I thought? Yes. Would I have changed my mind if I'd known the full extent of the debt? Not one iota.

"It might have been a different story if I had needed to go to the bank to borrow the money but I didn't. I have my own money and anyway, I tend to live by the saying you can't take it with you."

Ironic last statement from last year.

By MARTIN HARDY, 29/11/2008

WOULD-BE buyers of Newcastle have been told Mike Ashley has NOT cleared all of the club’s debt.

A potential buy-out collapsed 10 days ago with Ashley unable to agree a fee with an American company.

It had been thought that the Sports Direct billionaire had wiped out the £100million debt he inherited from outgoing chairman Freddy Shepherd last year.

But Sport of the World has learned that he has, in fact, only serviced part of that figure.

As I suspected.

That's why you have to trust him to sell it to someone he feels is going to invest in the club and can take it forward, not just whatever cowboys can get the money together.

That's the problem at the moment, no one can put the money together (which is maybe just as well, I can't see NUFC being used as a sub-prime profit scam being beneficial in the long term - we ain't Man U or even close anymore), and those that can outright afford it seem to be being put off by the asking price.

didn't MA (take with grain of salt) say he'd paid down about 110 million in back transfer payments....presently 1/3 of the clubs (projedcted worth)

:finger: ....thats what I get for trusting what had been printed :rolleyes: