Kinnear: All we need is a miracle

peasepud

Joe Kinnear is praying Michael Owen can produce his very best form for troubled Newcastle United today - and prove against his first club, Liverpool, that he can still make an impact on the big stage.

Newcastle's hopes appear to be resting on the shoulders of the England striker as he steps out to face the leaders at St James' Park. Kinnear, whose squad have been ravaged by injuries, said: 'What do you do besides pray?

But I've always had that nothing-to-lose mentality, especially for 10 years at Wimbledon. We won't go down for lack of fighting, that's for sure.

'Michael is the only striker we've got and he needs to be at his best. We're just looking for him to come up trumps now, to be honest.'

Against the backdrop of Owen's recent refusal to consider signing a three-year contract until the summer, manager Kinnear's challenge to his captain is a fascinating psychological ploy.

Owen is waiting until the end of the season, when his current deal runs out, before deciding whether to quit the North-East after an injury-plagued three years.

However, he will have to prove he can produce on a consistent basis - and what better way than with a goal against his old pal Steven Gerrard's Liverpool - to receive an offer similar to the £80,000-a-week tabled by Newcastle.

Kinnear added: 'We don't know if we took too much out of him at Wigan on Boxing Day. But because we've got Obafemi Martins unfit, Shola Ameobi unfit and now Mark Viduka injured, too, we haven't got any more strikers.

'We've only got Michael and AN Other - and that's Andy Carroll. There is no other striker. But Michael is used to pressure.'

Kinnear may opt to partner Owen with Damien Duff up front, a plan aborted at Wigan when Jose Enrique was injured during the warm-up and a reshuffle became necessary.

Last night, Duff did little to take the heat off Owen when he was asked if he thought the striker would score against his old club. 'I'm sure he will,' said the Irishman.

'He's always going to nick goals, he's a top player and he always will be. Michael has done great, you always know what you're going to get from him.'

However, a tense looking Owen refused to discuss today's match in the aftermath of a 2-1 defeat at the JJB Stadium which saw him substituted in the 77th minute in a bid to save his legs. Kinnear knows the game against the leaders represents one of the biggest tests of his managerial career.

'Without a shadow of a doubt,' he said. 'Liverpool are a fantastic team, with Fernando Torres and Gerrard, so how do you cope with sides like that? You want your best XI and even then you've only got a 40 per cent chance.

'We've got no full-backs, Enrique is out, Habib Beye is out, Viduka is out, Alan Smith is out, Shola is out and Sebastien Bassong was sent off at Wigan. It's one kick in the teeth after another.'

Some fans rounded on Viduka at Wigan, chanting 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' after the Australian walked off in the 68th minute.

But Viduka said: 'I chased the ball and felt a zap in my abductor.

'I didn't hear the fans because I went straight down the tunnel but it doesn't matter. They're the best fans in the world anyway.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...r.html?ITO=1490

Ahem, Joe....what about this fella?

0,,10278~3774473,00.gif